Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#121055 - 01/22/08 01:30 PM Re: Cold weather camping advice [Re: buzzard]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
1) your in a trailer so you should have zero windchill factor in the treiler.
2) Just bring a few comforters, quilts etc... and if you need them use them. You really have no limit to what your caring if your bring a trailer.
3) Get some kind of 12volt heater and you can use it to warm the trailer up a few degrees, or a 12/120 inverter and use a standared home heater.
4) Even in negative degrees out side in a trailer you should be find.

Cheers

#121070 - 01/22/08 04:12 PM Re: Cold weather camping advice [Re: atoz]
ScouterMan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I had a cot that I used in all seasons. Great in the spring / summer / fall because of the air circulation underneath. Bad in the winter for the same reason.

During winter camping in New England (5 - 15º F), I tried using space blankets between the cot and bag. No help. A ThermaRest pad was better, but still chilly.

Some of our guys used air matresses and froze.

I finally used a strip of carpet and my ThermaRest on the ground and slept well.

#121102 - 01/22/08 07:47 PM Re: Cold weather camping advice [Re: ScouterMan]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
From my experience, sleeping on a bare cot and sleeping on the bare ground are the same -- they both suck heat out of you.

Either place, put down a piece of Reflectix flexible insulation (that mylar/plastic laminated stuff from the hardware store), and then a closed-cell foam pad on top of that, and you'll be fine.

And if you're sitting around a campfire in a folding chair and your back is freezing, grab that Reflectix, fold it in half, and put it under/behind you in the chair. Toasty.

Sue

#121123 - 01/23/08 12:25 AM Re: Cold weather camping advice [Re: Susan]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Oh yeah, I forgot about the chair insulation. I found even several layers of corrigated cardboard put on the seat can make all the difference.

At some point I'll cut up a cheap closed cell foam pad to chair size.

#121192 - 01/23/08 01:20 PM Re: Cold weather camping advice [Re: buzzard]
ssmith_1187 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Madison, WI
Having slept on a cot at 10,000 feet during an Elk hunting trip to Colorado for 8 days in November of 2005, I will say it can be done.

Once I set the cot up, down went a closed cell foam sleeping pad (the cheap ½ inch variety). On top of that went an old wool blanket I carry around with me. My sleeping bag is an old 2 part army surplus sleeping bag and inside that went a fleece liner.

At night I would heat up water and put that in a 32 ounce Nalgene bottle and threw that into my sleeping bag about 30 minutes before going to bed. I wouldn’t waste the water, but rather drink it the next day. I would then change into long underware that was used for nothing but sleeping to ensure dryness. However, I did notice that my legs got too warm and sweat a bit on a couple of night.

DO NOT forget to wear a good stocking cap at night when you sleep. One night it fell off and I swear someone dumped a bag of ice into my sleeping bag.

A tip I used and the other guys wish they had thought of was the use of a "pee" bottle. I use a 32 ounce wide-mouth ;-) Nalgene bottle with the YELLOW cap. I keep it next to my cot when I sleep and instead of having to completely get out of my sleeping bag and go outside to urinate, I simply rise up to my knees, use my pee bottle and then lay back down. No boots, no tripping over gear, no fumbling for the tent zipper at 2:00AM, no freezing your tail off going outside in freezing temperatures.

Regards,
Steve

#121266 - 01/24/08 12:37 AM Re: Cold weather camping advice [Re: buzzard]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
I've never slept on a cot while camping but I do use an air mattress every time, my tired old bones need the cushioning.
A few years ago while camping in PA during Oct (tent camping) it went down to high 30's over night. I almost froze. Actually woke up shivering. I had mistakenly packed only 2 of my summer sleeping bags. I had one under me and one over me with a wool blanket over the sleeping bag. 2nd night in the ten with same temps I put woll blanket ontop of air mattress, sleeping bag on that and had only the other sleeping bag on top of me. I slept like a rock.
Lessons learned:
1) make sure to take proper sleeping bags
2) have twice as much under me as on top of me

#121274 - 01/24/08 01:57 AM Re: Cold weather camping advice [Re: buzzard]
mootz Offline
Stranger

Loc: Idaho
I recently returned from a car camping trip where the low was 23 degrees. I used a Cabela's army cot, a 0 degree mummy down bag and a ThermaRest self-inflator. Now, I'm a cold sleeper, so the rating for the bag was more like a 25 degree bag. I slept warmly and comfortably.

I think what made the difference was what I wore while sleeping.
I had "expedition" weight thermal underwear, wool hiking socks and, most importantly, headwear. I brought a watch cap, a heavyweight balaclava and a lightweight balaclava. I brought these because I did not know what I would encounter- you never know as I was in the High Sierras. As it turned out, all I needed was the watch cap. With this set up, I didn't need to cinch up the hood to my bag.

The balaclavas cover pretty much your whole head. My heavyweight version covered my head with the exception of my eyes; there's flap that covers my nose and there's mesh over my mouth.

Having the insulation under you is very, very important as pointed out with other posts. Minimally, I suggest a closed cell pad (such as the Ridge Rest); but a self-inflator AND and closed cell would be ideal. I would put the closed cell on top of the self-inflator.

Winter camping is awesome!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 244 Guests and 62 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.