HELLO CANOEDOG--wake up --just Goggle it..in less that a
minute i found the next lighter for the vest--torch lighters
that lock on to hold a steady flame are made in every shape
and size--some are kind of goofy in that "show off at the bar"
pistol lighter cira 1950 kind of way--but some look to be
normal enought to go in a overboard vest and have large
push button strikers and windproof designs..so the Bic's will
go in the shirt pocket to light the stove for dinner and i'll
pop $20 on a torch lighter with a lock-on for the vest...

Edited by CANOEDOGS (12/17/07 04:12 AM)

#116229 - 12/17/07 04:15 AM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Torch lighters burn up fuel too fast for my liking.

#116230 - 12/17/07 04:29 AM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: CANOEDOGS]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Every refillable butane lighter I ever sold at REI SUCKED big time.
I sold $19.99, $49, and $99 lighters and they all worked OK until you need to refill them. Not to mention they do not work at altitude at all IME.
I will stay with Bic; I have used them at +14K ft, found them in a puddle and got them working and most of all used them past the point where I could actually see any fuel inside.
Bill

#116231 - 12/17/07 04:35 AM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
Torch lighters burn up fuel too fast for my liking.

Not only that, but in general I find them to be more fragile than a Bic or zippo. The piezo(?) ignition system they use seems to either go bad or break under hard use.

With that said, Zippo has a version called the "Zippo Blu" that is supposed to be better than the average torch style lighter, but I haven't used one so I can't comment. Also, I believe it still requires the button to be held down (unlike a regular zippo).

With that said, an old fashioned zippo and ferro-rod are my most common fire starting methods, but I also have Bics stashed all over the place. Between the three of them I've never had a problem getting a fire going.

#116234 - 12/17/07 05:27 AM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: CANOEDOGS]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I think I'll keep my Bic's, Zippo's (in Ziplock bags), and matches in a waterproof case. That's in addition to my other fire starting equipment.

#116273 - 12/17/07 02:32 PM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: wildman800]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I have tried expensive jet-type lighters and torch lighters and found them to be fragile or un-reliable. The other problem is that they run on butane which works poorly in cold weather. At work I often need to thaw-out frozen, shielded padlocks on remote gates to permit access into areas. I have tried torch lighters but found that unless you keep them next to your body they often will not work in the cold. I usually use a propane torch carried in the truck or small chemical handwarmer packs placed around the lock. I also hate misplacing an expensive piece of equipment, which I do frequently with lighters.

I carry numerous Bic's backed up with spark-based fire lighting methods (ferro rod/sparklight).

Comparing simple butane lighters:
Last week I finished reading Cody Lundin's 98.6* in which he preferred the cheap "Cricket" type butane lighter over the Bic. I have tried these types in the past and appreciated the adjustable flame height option, but found the Bic much more durable. What is the opinion on the forum?

I am still looking for the perfect compact, waterproof emergency fire-lighter that CANOEDOGS started out searching for in his original post (e.g. pull the pin, instant 5 minute fire-lighting source).

Mike

#116290 - 12/17/07 04:36 PM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: SwampDonkey]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
A couple of months ago I bought a lighter at Walmart. I don't remember the brand now, but it was at the checkout line. Basically a disposable butane lighter without the typical wheel and small button hold down. Instead, you grip the lighter in your fist and just kind of push your thumb up. The side of the lighter slides up 1/4", clicks, and you've got a flame. It's gross motor skills, so you can do it with cold hands or with gloves on. No fiddling with the little button and cold fingers.

I've been using it for awhile now and I really like it. If you want a lighter for a youngster, it's very easy for them to use it also. For about a dollar and the ease of use, it's a winner.

#116292 - 12/17/07 04:39 PM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: lukus]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi lukus,

Thanks for the info. do you have a brand name or model of this lighter so I can Google it? It sounds interesting.

Mike

#116293 - 12/17/07 04:41 PM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: lukus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
That's nice, but doesn't this lighter have a name/brand? It would help if we knew what specific lighter you're talking about. I don't shop at Walmart.

#116294 - 12/17/07 04:42 PM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: SwampDonkey]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey

Comparing simple butane lighters:
Last week I finished reading Cody Lundin's 98.6* in which he preferred the cheap "Cricket" type butane lighter over the Bic. I have tried these types in the past and appreciated the adjustable flame height option, but found the Bic much more durable. What is the opinion on the forum?

I am still looking for the perfect compact, waterproof emergency fire-lighter that CANOEDOGS started out searching for in his original post (e.g. pull the pin, instant 5 minute fire-lighting source).

Mike

While I agree with almost everything in Cody's book I do not agree on the cheapo lighters. I have seen the sparking wheel fail with 1/2 the fue left.

If you are looking for "pull the pin, instant 5 minute fire-lighting source" try a road flare.
Bill

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 287 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.