Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#120628 - 01/18/08 12:51 AM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: teacher]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: teacher
I love either a bandana (oversize) or a silk neckerchief for winter wear - like a scarf, but more useful

Exactly what is the difference between a silk neckerchief and a silk scarf?

Other than the possibility that Boyscouts who wear neckerchiefs are 'in uniform' and those who wear scarfs are asked to leave.

#120638 - 01/18/08 01:47 AM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Also check out Qiviut. Its wool from musk ox, also extremely soft, warm and expensive.

#120749 - 01/19/08 01:36 AM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Brangdon]
NAro Offline
Addict

I'm sold on my Jinglebob's "wild rag"...and have shelved my neck gaiters and other similar gear. When I properly tie it
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/how-to-tie-a-scarf-cowboy-style/2227572649
It truly blocks the wind, traps warmth escaping from my shirt collar, takes up little or no space/weight, and makes me look rugged and western. Dude horses are clearly impressed.

#120761 - 01/19/08 02:51 AM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Jimmy_IL Offline
Stranger

Being a "noob" I really don't want to respond to this post. However, I feel I must, simply for posterity.

The difference between a neckerchief and a scarf, silk or not, is simple. One is inches long, one is feet long. Can you guess which one?

Although I'm new, let's all be civil. Stop the arguments. Stop the foolishness.

We all agree.

#120764 - 01/19/08 03:12 AM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: NAro]
Steve Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
I agree 100% about the warmth of silk. My silk long underwear is one of my most prized camping items. Feels almost like it is electrically heated. It also makes blue jeans bearable in the cold (but that is for urban use; I'd avoid cotton while cold-weather camping). I may try the synthetic wicking alternative sometime but it will take a lot to get me to switch. The main downside is that I find the abrasion of walking causes little bits of silk fluff to end up around my socks at the end of the day. This seems to affect the long-johns rather than the tops, and does eventually wear the fabric thin over a few years. A relatively worn-out set of silks is currently in my winter car kit.

Steve

#120765 - 01/19/08 03:16 AM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Steve]
Jimmy_IL Offline
Stranger

By The Way, all. Disregard my post. I'm getting arrogant when I shouldn't be. It's habit, and I'm sorry. If it happens again, please let me know - keep me in check.

Thanks,

Jimmy

#120829 - 01/19/08 09:53 PM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Jimmy_IL]
NAro Offline
Addict

Jimmy, I for one welcome you here and don't think it is either necessary (or our job) to "keep you in check." I will say (just so you can "re-calibrate" your expectations) that I think the responses in the thread were friendly and civil. A bit of kidding one-another is routine here, and almost always done in good taste. Welcome aboard.
By the way, I think the difference between neckerchief and scarf is in USE, not construction.
Noun 1. neckerchief - a kerchief worn around the neck.
kerchief - a square scarf that is folded into a triangle and worn over the head or about the neck. (heck, why can't I call a kerchief/neckerchief/scarf worn on my head a HAT.. if I want to!)

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 239 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.