Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#120610 - 01/17/08 11:34 PM Re: MRS MIOX Water Purifier [Re: paramedicpete]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

paramedicpete, I was wondering if you have time down the road to try your steripen out with those test and see if you get the same,worst or better results. And compare the time, the 1 1/2 minute vs the Miox 4 hour time. In my case I would boil my water than wait on the time for a miox. That's why I had bought my steripen. Any how if you are game in testing and comparing it would be appreciated.
Thanks

#120612 - 01/17/08 11:46 PM Re: MRS MIOX Water Purifier [Re: falcon5000]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: falcon5000
paramedicpete, I was wondering if you have time down the road to try your steripen out with those test and see if you get the same,worst or better results.

I suspect that it wouldn't be practical. In Pete's original protocol, he said, "The bacterial slurry was significantly turbid to the naked eye." So, that would rule out using the Steripen with the same protocol since the Steripen is designed to be used in clear water. He could use a different solution, but then it wouldn't be directly comparable with the other results.

#120621 - 01/18/08 12:35 AM Re: MRS MIOX Water Purifier [Re: Arney]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Good point, the steripen can't compete in turbid water without some sort of prefilter to clear the water whether a handkerchief or something.

#120676 - 01/18/08 03:32 PM Re: MRS MIOX Water Purifier [Re: falcon5000]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:
paramedicpete, I was wondering if you have time down the road to try your steripen out with those test and see if you get the same,worst or better results. And compare the time, the 1 1/2 minute vs the Miox 4 hour time. In my case I would boil my water than wait on the time for a miox. That's why I had bought my steripen. Any how if you are game in testing and comparing it would be appreciated.
Thanks

Quote:
And from Arney: I suspect that it wouldn't be practical. In Pete's original protocol, he said, "The bacterial slurry was significantly turbid to the naked eye." So, that would rule out using the Steripen with the same protocol since the Steripen is designed to be used in clear water. He could use a different solution, but then it wouldn't be directly comparable with the other results.

Actually, I did (sort of- only tested with one species of bacteria- I think), the post is so old it is not longer available on the site.

IIRC, I made turbid slurry of E. coli, post 1 round of the Steri-pen there was a substantial reduction in the number of organisms. It took two rounds of the Steri-pen to achieve 0 cfu (colony forming units). The turbidity created from the concentrated organism is different then turbidity from say, slit or mud. Keep in mind when using the Steri-pen, you are supposed to “mix” or move the pen around the container (like mixing with a spoon), this exposes most of the water more directly to the UV source. With the bacteria slurry, although turbid, the mixing caused the individual bacteria to come close to the UV source, thus killing the organism. With turbidity caused by silt, the silt might block the UV from hitting the individual bacteria; the “blocking” effect would likely be more pronounced with small bacteria and viruses, which might be small enough to “hide” in the rough surface of the individual silt particle

I hope this explanation makes sense.

Pete

#120704 - 01/18/08 07:12 PM Re: MRS MIOX Water Purifier [Re: teacher]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: teacher
4 hour contact time? Ill boil/ filter for now.

That 4 hour time is based on the same bureaucratic/political FDA requirements suffered by the other excellent chlorine dioxide water treatment tools like AquaMira and MicroPur tablets. Real-world tests show that they work absolutely fine in much less time than 4 hours, even against crypto, but the FDA won't let the mfgrs say so.

Don't worry about the 4 hour thing.

#120724 - 01/18/08 09:20 PM Re: MRS MIOX Water Purifier [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
From what I've read you have to be pulling water from a sewage-impacted puddle in a 3rd world country in order to get crypto in the quantities used for testing.

In the remote areas of the U.S. and Europe Cyrpto is pretty rare, so much shorter times have a very high chance of killing the one or two spores that are unlikely to even be in the water.

I have the Miox and feel comfortable with the 30 minutes called for Giardia.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 387 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.