Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#120404 - 01/16/08 03:44 PM Re: Problems wih bugging out under Martial Law [Re: wildman800]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
[quote=wildman800]The problems with bugging out:

Under Martial Law conditions-
1) Slow movement due to the need to remain concealed from law enforcement and military units (avoid being forced into a "Refugee Camp").

I happen to be professionally involved in disaster mitigation/response at the federal level, as a member of a Disaster Medical Assistance Team, under US Dep't of Health and Human Services. I've never encountered any plans to "force" anyone into refugee "camps."

The basic theory of shelter management is to get people OUT as soon as possible, back to their jobs and coping with their own problems, to re-start the local economy and get things up and running as normally and quickly as possible

2) Slow movement due to need to avoid "Brigands".

Try not to look like a brigand yourself, i.e., by not going around in groups with heavy arms on display, in neighborhoods where you are not known. My personal gear and bugout clothing is "low observable" but not "tactical" in appearance. I can defend myself or hide out and get by without trouble, but I can also walk into a store or get on a bus without looking out of place.

3) Forced to leave food and other resources behind. (if local authorities hadn't already been informed of your "hoarding" and seized it already).
3a) "Hoard" the majority of food and resources at the bug out location.

There is really no need to seize personal property, nor any method formally to do so. It would really complicate logistics, too. If we need supplies not in our logistics train, we have corporate agreements to draw on commercial distribution channels, wharehouses and retail outlets in or near the effected area, with means for reimbursement. This is how it's done. Our commander even carries a federal credit card for impromptu expenses, to PAY for what we need.

On other occasions, local stores and hospitals who's inventories were a total insurance write-off have granted permission for us to salvage some things that would othewise just be dumped. These methods are far more efficient and legally proper than going door to door, hunting for and stealing from the vitims we are trying to help. I'm aware of the NOPD and scattered instances of individuals "freelancing" under color of authority, but criminals can be found anywhere.

4) The need to maintain a 24/7 security/defensive watch/tactics while on the move and in encampment.

ALways. Just don't be too paranoid or agressive about it. I could tell you a story about a certain "militia" group's unpleasant encounter, but, um, I'm not allowed to.

Jeff

#120529 - 01/17/08 02:31 PM Re: Problems wih bugging out under Martial Law [Re: Jeff_M]
Survival1 Offline
Stranger

I am with Troglodyte. I don't think we need to experience firsthand, what Jeff McCann says, "the NOPD...scattered instances of individuals "freelancing" under color of authority."

Police officers and members of military are trained to obey orders, even if the person (criminal) directing them is a little off the rocker.

Good luck.

#120573 - 01/17/08 07:03 PM Re: Problems wih bugging out under Martial Law [Re: ]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

“What Jeff says all sounds pretty good, but I think what most people are afraid of here is something like Katrina, not something like riots where you'll quell the violence and go home."

I was deployed to Katrina, as well as to a variety of other events and potential events, some you never heard of. The events surrounding H. Katrina were hideously misreported, both by wild exaggeration and hysteria or lying, and by non-or-underreporting. What happened to those stacks of dead bodies reportedly at the Superdome? They didn’t exist.

Remember, the actual hurricane was pretty much a miss, and the real trouble only started later, when the levees broke. This, plus a severe instance of the usual political fumbling, led to a poor coordinated and delayed federal response. Nonetheless, within hours ( >72 hrs) assistance was flowing in full throttle. Thereafter, no one died of thirst or hunger, and the shelter fiasco was pretty quickly sorted out. My team treated over 2K patients over a period of a few days. Furthermore, we can sustain operations indefinitely by drawing on our own and other federal resources, military logistics (we cross-train directly with the military), and commercial sources. Nonetheless, we were all loaded, ready and just sitting around waiting for the go order to deploy for days before being ordered in. This was in sharp contrast to the FL series of hurricanes, where our and several other teams were staged in place or on the road before the hurricanes even made landfall.

The Feds, at the boots on the ground level, did a great job, in the face of tough interference and massive political stonewalling, grandstanding and gross incompetence at the political level. For instance, three of our logistics trucks, still loaded with much needed equipment, were pulled away for hours for an “emergency elsewhere” that turned out to be a Presidential photo-op to show him posing in front of “federal trucks full of supplies headed to those in need.” I need not further point out the infuriating irony of creating the appearance of delivering help by removing help that was already in place.

The point isn’t to defend the Feds, but to point out that disaster relief on a very large scale was delivered and disbursed fairly promptly, because the professionals are used to overcoming obstacles of both the natural and man-made (political) types.

For example, if Wal-Mart can keep the shelves stocked all over the country every day, they can certainly deliver some of the same goods to a distribution center set up on the margin of a disaster zone, even if we have to set up an armed convoy and fuel depot system for them. The same is true for the military. Even with the war in Iraq, there were enough MREs, trucks and helicopters on hand for domestic emergency use.

As for local cops going rogue, I seriously doubt that anything similar could happen within the National Disaster Medical System or related services. We have no problem saying NO to wrong or stupid ideas, and anyone who puts a toe over the line gets dealt with pretty quickly. Although a “uniformed service of the United States,” we are just civilians, like you, and are free to quit and walk away at any time, and we will. We, most of us, simply will not tolerate the quasi-totalitarian “martial law” scenario imagined and feared by some. Heck, when I was once sent into a wrecked and flooded hospital to scavenge one particular instrument that we didn’t carry but was requested by one of my doc’s, I personally rechecked consent with both my command staff and the hospital’s representative personally before I’d proceed. In another instance, we had corporate permission to retrieve some convenience items from a wrecked chain pharmacy, and ran across some “looters” inside. We just warned them not to mess with us, take only needed items, which was all they seemed to be doing, and we left each other otherwise unmolested.

Really, really, really, we are just there to help people in need, and not to screw with them, take over, or interfere with private efforts to cope and recover.

I promise we won’t be raiding your cache, putting you into camps against you will, or taking anyone’s lawfully owned firearms. Our security element probably won’t let you into our base of operations with a gun if you’re a civilian, or might arrest you if you do something criminally stupid, but they’re only there to protect us and the people we are helping. They aren’t jack-booted thugs.

There does, indeed, seem to be a lot of mythinformation and misguided fear out there about the scope and nature of disaster relief operations.

“Or lets say something like a national gas shortage or truck drivers union strike, where supplies aren't being delivered and the stores are empty. A credit card doesn't do you any good if there is no food to be purchased. What's the protocol for that?”

The country will cope. If the entire nation suffers extremely severe disruption everywhere at once, I suppose things may be quite different, as they would be in the case of civil insurrection. However, there are sufficient legal means to deal with lesser threats like trucker strikes that threaten national security, and the trucks can be made to roll enough to deliver essentials. As for the credit card, it is used to purchase immediate special needs from just outside the disaster area. Now, if it’s an “End of the Earth as we know it” scenario you posit, then that’s beyond the scope of disaster relief and into the realm of rebuilding civilization, or at least civil society.

Jeff

#120576 - 01/17/08 07:22 PM Re: Problems wih bugging out under Martial Law [Re: Survival1]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

"I am with Troglodyte. I don't think we need to experience firsthand, what Jeff McCann says, "the NOPD...scattered instances of individuals "freelancing" under color of authority."

It doesn't take a disaster to experience this sort of thing; it happens every day, all over America. By the same token, a disaster won't stop it from continuing to occur anyway. But that doesn't mean there's a secret plan to "enslave" you, or at least not one involving disaster relief operations in the normal course of events.

"Police officers and members of military are trained to obey orders, even if the person (criminal) directing them is a little off the rocker."

Cops and soldiers don't run disaster relief, they are, however, key participants, just as in most emergencies. Civilian authorities run the show, including local and state authorities who retain their powers and responsibilities, with the cooperation of federal authorities. Disasters normally don't get "federalized," with the USGOV taking over and overriding the locals; they just get federal assistance to states and localities, AFTER being requested.

As for the NOPD specifically, I'd suggest that they may have been, ahem, somewhat sub-par compared to other police departments and law-enforcement agencies. Yet, note that they still were not interfered with by the Feds during that time.

Now, if you are talking "Martial Law," that's an entirely different matter. But has Martial Law ever been declared in the US since WWII, when it was imposed in the Hawaiian islands, during any sort of disaster?

Jeff

#120577 - 01/17/08 07:43 PM Re: Problems wih bugging out under Martial Law [Re: NeighborBill]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: billy.guttery
I'll define Martial Law as I saw it carried out under Katrina conditions:

1) No open possession of firearms
2) No movement after dark
3) No "groups" of citizens (more than 3) ever
4) etc, etc.

You can add to this: cops/soldiers/etc. can take from you whatever you have, for any reason. Any disobedience will be met with force and/or relocation (sans gear).

Basically, suspension of constitutional amendments--no one will argue your right to be "free" as long as you do what they say smile

For the record, NOLA wasn't under Martial Law, at least not since Reconstruction.

Jeff

#120578 - 01/17/08 07:47 PM Re: Problems wih bugging out under Martial Law [Re: Madbomber_Mike]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Madbomber_Mike
As someone who was in LA in '92, I can give a little input.
One, as we saw there, the Guard was overwhelmed immediately and would have required at least another week to move enough assets into the area. We (thew active Army and Marines) were ordered to immediately move in and enforce the declaration of martial law. Which we did. As I remember, the only ones that got their rights stepped on, were the doofus gang bangers that took pot shots at us...Up armored HMMWV w M60 machinegun vs lowrider w Tec-9 ..... you do the math!
There, the Gulf Coast, and here in Iraq, we have had no orders respecting hoarding. Privately owned and legal weapons in the US were fine as long as they were in your home or business, regardless of how many. We even let numerous people go with concealed carry with legal permits, or on a case by case basis.
Of course here, we only allow 1 AK per home.

By the way, we hate being there more that you hate us being there, we just want to get back home with as little fuss as possible... intact preferably. We are'nt cops, by a long shot!

Cheers

No disrespect intended, But LA was never under Martial Law. The CA Governer requested the CA NG to assist local law enforcement under his own state emergency authority, then requested (very temporary) federal assistance (again, under state authority) when the CA NG proved too slow to mobilize in this instance.

Jeff

#120581 - 01/17/08 08:36 PM Re: Problems wih bugging out under Martial Law [Re: Jeff_M]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Jeff,

Thank you for your work. It's very reassuring to me that there are people like you out there trying to help.

-Blast, who hopes only to meet you under pleasent circumstances.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#120588 - 01/17/08 10:01 PM Re: Problems wih bugging out under Martial Law [Re: Blast]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Blast
Jeff,

Thank you for your work. It's very reassuring to me that there are people like you out there trying to help.

Thank you, on behalf of the multitudes who lend a hand, from the full-time professionals, to the volunteers at the Red Cross and elsewhere, to the shopper who drops her spare change in a Salvation Army collection can.

-Blast, who hopes only to meet you under pleasent circumstances.

Indeed. If you see us setting up the khaki tents with the big red "NDMS" on it in your town, it's a safe bet you and your neighbors are having a pretty bad day.

Jeff
for more info on DMATs, NDMS, etc., see, e.g.:
http://www.floridaonedmat.com/
http://www.hhs.gov/aspr/opeo/ndms/teams/

#120593 - 01/17/08 10:18 PM Re: Problems wih bugging out under Martial Law [Re: ]
LED Offline
Veteran

With their ability to respond quickly and cost effectively, understanding the future role(s) private security companies (blackwater, armourgroup, etc.) will play in emergency situations is something thats worth looking into. On one hand you could get a lightning quick response to restore order in a stricken area should the local/state law enforcement be overwhelmed. On the other hand, determining their authority and who they'd be accountable to would give rise to some difficult questions.

#120599 - 01/17/08 10:53 PM Re: Problems wih bugging out under Martial Law [Re: LED]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: LED
With their ability to respond quickly and cost effectively, understanding the future role(s) private security companies (blackwater, armourgroup, etc.) will play in emergency situations is something thats worth looking into. On one hand you could get a lightning quick response to restore order in a stricken area should the local/state law enforcement be overwhelmed. On the other hand, determining their authority and who they'd be accountable to would give rise to some difficult questions.

A very worrisome possibility. It appears some such private security forces were afoot in the NOLA area after H. Katrina, but it seems to have been kept pretty quiet. None, AFAIK, were employed by government entities. Rather, they were employed by private businesses concerned over the breakdon in law and order and the need to protect their own personnel and assets.

It would be difficult to invision exactly how such firms could be employed to "restore order" in some legally meaningful way, though. Certain government functions are rather difficult to contract out, especially during emergencies. It's much quicker and eisier to just borrow cops from neighboring jurisdictions, states and NG MP units, and let the feds reimburse you for it.

They could be used, though, to relieve local LEOs and Guardsman for more important actual policing tasks, i.e., "restoring order," by taking over "security guard" type duties typically performed by law enforcement officers, such as maintaining (vs. "restoring") order and physical security at shelters, depots, government offices, etc.

In other roles, such as supply, shelter operations, transportation, logistics, etc., such private firms lack the resources, equipment and expertise required, or there are far better sources to get the job done already available.

Jeff

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 418 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.