The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#109337 - 10/21/07 01:00 AM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Susan]
BachFan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: New York City
Yup, the main thing that dry cleaning is meant to preserve is the color/dye of the silk ... also, the texture of the silk after hand-washing may be a little harsher than after dry-cleaning. Ironing usually softens the texture again -- but once the dye bleeds, it's really not fixable.

"Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

#109361 - 10/21/07 12:20 PM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Paul D.]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I've bought from JingleBobs a few times. As it happens, I am about to do so again. As a company they are kinda dull - I order stuff from their website and it turns up in the UK a few days later. Nothing more to report. They send bandannas in a package small enough to fit through a letterbox, so I don't need to be home to take delivery, which is good.

Their product is good quality. I found their red silk to be quite dark and prefer their orange if you want it for signalling.

The 35" square are a good size. The diagonal is about 57". That is long enough to go around any part of my body, so it can serve as a belt or to bind wounds in first aid etc. It is big enough to make a sling for an arm.

The 20" ones for me are borderline too small. The diagonal is about 30", which is big enough to go around my head, but if I try wear it in traditional bandanna style the pointed bit doesn't really reach far enough to catch under the diagonal ties. I wish it was an inch or two bigger. However, it's fine for a head-band and many other uses.

They also do 42" square ones, which I found too big to be practical.

I prefer silk to cotton because it is lighter and thinner. A 35" silk is roughly the same weight and volume as a 21" cotton. It will adsorb about the same volume of water. However, having larger surface area it has more uses, and it dries quicker. Cotton is thicker, which is sometimes useful but you can double-up the silk. I don't see any point in carrying 21" cotton if silk is available.

20" silk is worth carrying mainly because it is thin and light enough to go in places that 21" cotton and 35" silk won't. Specifically, it will go in shirt breast pocket without being noticed. It's a great way to increase your every-day carry resources.

Uses include the following:
  • A covering for the head to protect from sun-burn. Also as a sweat-band. Also to cover the back of the neck. Wet it to to cool by evaporation.
  • In first aid, to clean up blood. Also as a bandage to secure dressings, or to apply pressure to wounds. Also as an arm-sling; to improvise splints; as a tourniquet (if you know what you are doing).
  • As cordage: eg as a belt, to tie a car boot down, as a dog lead, or just about anything where 57" of parachord would be useful. If you cut it into 1" strips you get over 1000 inches of cord, that could be useful eg for building shelters.
  • As a handkerchief to blow your nose on. Also as toilet paper (if you cut it up, 35x35" is roughly 49 5x5" squares).
  • As a bag or sack. You can make a wide-mouth bag just by tying knots in the corners, which can be useful for preventing screws from getting lost; collecting nuts or berries etc. You can make a narrow-mouth bag by tying the corners together - it's worth looking up how to do that properly. You can use the bag to carry other supplies, collected food etc. Also as a crude glove, for warmth or protection.
  • As a shield to protect from dust or dirt, eg to sit on. Also tie around the mouth as a crude dust-mask (may work better when wet). As a duster or "oily rag" to clean machinery, a car windscreen etc.
  • As a towel for drying things. Also as a sponge to help get drinkable water from slow seeps, fine spray etc. As a funnel to help collect rain-water. (I suspect you could use it to collect water via condensation.)
  • Use it to filter gross organic matter out of wild water as the first step in purifying.
  • As a flag for signalling. Cut into small pieces, use for marking your trail. Cut into strips to form arrows and signs. Make it easy for rescuers to find your spot even if you are asleep when they pass.
  • As clothing. You can form a loin cloth or bra, or a nappy. 35" is a bit small for a skirt, unless you are very slender, but it works as an apron.
  • As a blindfold or gag. To bind wrists or ankles - it's prettier and less painful than cord. (It's surprising the sites you can find when you use google.)
I've probably forgotten whole categories but that should give an idea of their versatility. Some of the uses are destructive, so it can be beneficial to have two or more. Safety pins are often useful when working with cloth.

Edited by Brangdon (10/21/07 12:26 PM)

#109409 - 10/21/07 08:45 PM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Frankie]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Try an Army-Navy Surplus store. They might have the sailor neckerchiefs.

#109962 - 10/25/07 09:18 AM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: wildman800]
LED Offline
Veteran

As promised, a quick note on my newly received jinglebobs.com silk (35'X 35') scarves. Good quality, color, and perfect size. I really love the sage green but highly recommend the orange too. The vibrant color makes it a great attention getter if needed. Definitely worth it.

#110258 - 10/27/07 02:07 PM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: LED]
Paul D. Offline

Loc: Porkopolis
Thanks for the feedback LED.

#120532 - 01/17/08 02:58 PM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Frankie]
michael_d Offline
Stranger

Silk might do a little to keep warm but its really not that great in comparison to a scarf or stole made of authentic kashmir pashmina. This material has the best natural insulating properties found on earth and comes only from the capra hircus mountain goat that lives in brutal conditions 14,000 feet above sea level in the Himalayan mountains. Its really expensive however. If money is no object and we are talking survival, i think this would be the best material. Another good thing about it is that it is so fine woman often scrunch them up and put them in there purse, so they take up very little space. Many people sell scarves and call it pashmina although it is really not. You have to be sure its authentic capra hircus pashmina and check the percentage of the content. Its sold in different plys (thickness) although its not really important because you would be wrapping it a few times around your neck anyway. Here is an article link i wrote for anybody interested. Capra Hircus Pashmina
Anyway, there are more articles that get into this materials properties in greater depth and how it relates to moisture but i don't have those links. I sell 100% capra hircus items on a custom ordered basis only on this website 100% pure capra hircus pashmina wraps. They are available in 80% pure as well, although i don't have them listed. 80% is also cheaper. Like i said, its much better than silk but very expensive stuff. I would only recommend it if you were going on some sort of live threatening adventure in extremely cold climates. Just thought this information might be useful to somebody.

#120538 - 01/17/08 03:32 PM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: michael_d]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Michael-d,

Welcome to the fire, newguy! Those wraps sound great, luckily we don't often need anything that warm here or else my wife would be wanting one (she reads this forum also).

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#120557 - 01/17/08 05:12 PM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: Frankie]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I love either a bandana (oversize) or a silk neckerchief for winter wear - like a scarf, but more useful

#120582 - 01/17/08 08:46 PM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: michael_d]
LED Offline
Veteran

Yeah, welcome michael. Thanks for the link, interesting info. However, (I could be wrong) but I thought Vicuna hair was the most insulating animal fiber.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicu%C3%B1a

#120605 - 01/17/08 11:05 PM Re: Winter survival; silk neckerchief!? [Re: LED]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Yipes! The prices are pretty serious on kashmir pashmina, but the ones on the Vicuna are outrageous. 5 digit prices for a man's coat.

Good old wool is starting to look better every day!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.