Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#120518 - 01/17/08 01:00 PM Aluminum Bat for Home Defense
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

Hi. Let's suppose that you live in a country where owning a firearm is illegal (I don't). Or suppose you are philosophically against owning a firearm (I'm not). What do you think is the next best weapon for home defense? I am thinking an aluminum bat by the bedside.

#120520 - 01/17/08 01:12 PM Re: Aluminum Bat for Home Defense [Re: gear_freak]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
It should work fine if the perp is SLOW AND UNARMED!
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#120523 - 01/17/08 01:38 PM Re: Aluminum Bat for Home Defense [Re: gear_freak]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I am sitting here, sipping my first cup of java, and have the Today show on, just for the noise. They say that they have a segment coming up about a 14 year old kid in AZ, armed with a ball bat, who called 911 when a badguy broke into his home. Using their words, it was "kid four, bad guy zero." But I think you would have to strike first, fast, and often. If the BG has a gun, you are toast more than likely...

More info. Segment was kind of hohum, but the 14 year old was very calm thru the whole thing, lots of commotion in the background during the scuffle, and the BG left...

Edited by OldBaldGuy (01/17/08 01:47 PM)
Edit Reason: Additonal info

#120524 - 01/17/08 01:43 PM Re: Aluminum Bat for Home Defense [Re: gear_freak]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Originally Posted By: gear_freak
What do you think is the next best weapon for home defense? I am thinking an aluminum bat by the bedside.

A big dog. I have my fair share of guns and such, but I would love to see the look on a robbers face if my dog grabs a hold of him. eek He makes a darn good intruder alarm for sure.

#120528 - 01/17/08 02:24 PM Re: Aluminum Bat for Home Defense [Re: Taurus]
Survival1 Offline
Stranger

First time poster, long time lurker. All I can say is thank you to all members. Each and every one of you has stimulated my thoughts about being more prepared. There are some instances in my life (usually during winter and involving cars) that make me more prepared and this forum definitely helps. With that said...

I think a baseball bat is adequate defense. If it were me, I would want something a bit more potent. A good dog, security system (with signs out front), a can of bear repellent/mace/pepper spray, and lastly a gun(s) are the defenses for my family. I do not want to get in to close combat with an intruder. A bat or knife could easily be taken away by someone with a little training and then used against you.

Just some food for thought. Good luck in your decision.

#120530 - 01/17/08 02:38 PM Re: Aluminum Bat for Home Defense [Re: gear_freak]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Funny timing for this thread. This is on Fox news today:

After trying to hide in a closet, a bat-wielding 14-year-old has no choice but to fight off an intruder rummaging through his Arizona home Tuesday, AZCentral.com reports.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,323423,00.html

So I would say yes, a viable defense.

#120531 - 01/17/08 02:42 PM Re: Aluminum Bat for Home Defense [Re: Survival1]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

An alunimum bat should be good for home defense, as long as the intruders aren't armed and a distance off. Alunimum is also perferable to wood. Lighter weight = faster swing/ recovery. Also wood tends to channel the shock force thru skin and muscle, deep to the bones so a lot of times you have to commit to shattering bones to stop an aggressor. Whereas metal and plastics/polymers spread the force really well over the skin (read that as nerves) as well, therfore causing neuromuscular failure before the shattering of limb is required.......
+1 on the big dog from taurus. If you can/want keep one, you will find no better early warning/burglar alarm/remote antagonizer/best friend......we have two. The big one is an 85 lb Rhodesian/pit bull mix and his bark alone makes my eardrums hum in our apartment

#120537 - 01/17/08 03:29 PM Re: Aluminum Bat for Home Defense [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Also wood tends to channel the shock force thru skin and muscle, deep to the bones so a lot of times you have to commit to shattering bones to stop an aggressor. Whereas metal and plastics/polymers spread the force really well over the skin (read that as nerves) as well, therfore causing neuromuscular failure before the shattering of limb is required.

That's very interesting.
It also makes me want to choose a wooden bat.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#120542 - 01/17/08 03:45 PM Re: Aluminum Bat for Home Defense [Re: ]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I've seen many instances of people who see a big dog and are afraid regardless fo what kind of dog and its temperment. I've seen people afraid of dogs that would only like them to death. I've also seen such dogs turn angry and protective, when you threatened someone they cared about, and I've had such a dog. You don't need a rottie, and even the one who is not a guard dog may protect you. Many are great alarms, because few things can sneak by them without them making noise.

If picking a bat, pick one that is light. It will allow you to swing faster.

#120547 - 01/17/08 04:19 PM Re: Aluminum Bat for Home Defense [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
I've got one of those bats designed for clubbing a fish in a boat. They are short and heavy and pack a bit of a wallop. If someone breaks into my place then after I shoot them a few times I could finish them off with the bat.(maybe I should add some nails to it) Then the dog can chew on him while I get a mop and call the police. I will have no mercy on anyone that breaks into my home and threatens my family.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.