Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#119996 - 01/14/08 04:03 AM anyone had whiten your teeth at dentist office?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Has anyone had whiten their teeth at dentist office?

does the whitening compound keep your teeth white for whole year?

any side effects?
I want to get my teeth whiten like Hollywood celebrity.

#119997 - 01/14/08 04:04 AM Re: anyone had whiten your teeth at dentist office? [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Nope, mine are battleship grey forever...

#120013 - 01/14/08 09:21 AM Re: anyone had whiten your teeth at dentist office? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
xavier01 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Phx, AZ
I had my done, but it's been some years. My dentist told me that after about 6 months, I should get another application.

I have a question. Is the stuff you can buy at the store any better?

#120016 - 01/14/08 11:12 AM Re: anyone had whiten your teeth at dentist office? [Re: xavier01]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
You might try some baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. I don;t know if the stuff at the store is any better, but my question is: Is the store any better than the dentist's office?

#120025 - 01/14/08 01:11 PM Re: anyone had whiten your teeth at dentist office [Re: Stretch]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Stretch
You might try some baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.

Baking soda is a bad idea. It whitens teeth, but it does so by stripping away the enamel. This weakens your teeth, leaving them prone to cavities and other mouth horrors.

#120063 - 01/14/08 06:00 PM Re: anyone had whiten your teeth at dentist office [Re: picard120]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: picard120
any side effects?

I don’t know whether the dentist-applied treatment does the same thing or not, but one side effect of the over-the-counter whitening products is that your teeth end up glowing green under nightclub blacklights. (Always made me snicker to see people’s green smiles at those places. grin )

#120144 - 01/14/08 11:45 PM Re: anyone had whiten your teeth at dentist office [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Contemplating tweaking the look of my teeth I asked my dentist about professional whitening. She said she could do it but didn't recommend it in my case.

I have tetracycline staining, my teeth glow a nice yellow under black lights, and hyperplasia. My teeth have a slight yellow tinge that the bleaching won't touch and are a bit softer and subject to chipping because their grain is not straight. A developmental issue. Peroxide bleaching tends to weaken teeth. It isn't so much that people with normal teeth have to worry about but the dentist pointed out that I wouldn't see much actual whitening and I need to hang onto all the structural integrity I can.

She recommended that if I wanted prettier teeth to avoid chemical whitening and go directly to veneers. After she told me what they cost, per tooth, I declined. I was glad I was sitting at the time.

She told me that my teeth are strong and, outside cosmetic coloration, in good condition for my age. Which I figure is good enough.

In a survival context it is pretty important that you keep your teeth in good shape if not as pretty as they might be. There are real and important health consequences for poorly maintained teeth. Heart conditions have been partially linked to an increased risk of infected or inflamed gums. And you don't want to get into an emergency situation with a bad tooth that distracts you, doesn't allow you to sleep when you need to or makes eating a problem.

#120400 - 01/16/08 02:55 PM Re: anyone had whiten your teeth at dentist office [Re: hamilton]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
With many toothpastes now containing baking soda, I doubt what you say. Maybe in too much concentration? Many backpackers take only baking soda on short trips and seem fine, esp since the tip came from their dental assistant. If you know of references to the contrary, please post.

#120441 - 01/16/08 10:05 PM Re: anyone had whiten your teeth at dentist office? [Re: picard120]
HerbG Offline

I had the professional whitening treatment several years ago, and I think it cost about $600. In addition I was given some additional "stuff" to apply to my teeth for another month to further the whitening process. Also, there is a maintenance chemical to help preserve the whiteness. The process works OK, but not to the degree I was hoping for. The older and more stained your teeth are the less dramatic the effect. Besides I am not willing to give up coffee and tea to preserve the appearance. Guess a handsome old coot like me has to have some flaw!

#120487 - 01/17/08 02:55 AM Re: anyone had whiten your teeth at dentist office [Re: jshannon]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

I feel kind of silly about this, but the only source I have for this information is my mother. She just told me to never brush with baking soda, that it wears away the enamel. I've never questioned it, and posted without double-checking the information.

I just did a quick Google search, and couldn't come up with anything other than anecdotal evidence. I did come across a number of sites on the conspiracy of fluoride laugh , but none on the dangers of baking soda. I'm just going to have to wait until my next dental appointment to get a definitive answer.

I apologize for misleading anyone with information I didn't check.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.