The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#119889 - 01/13/08 03:25 PM Re: Bug Out Motorcycle?!? [Re: LED]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Loc: St. Paul MN
I like the Ural and for a bov the light machine gun could come in handy. :-)

Dave

#119890 - 01/13/08 04:13 PM Re: Bug Out Motorcycle?!? [Re: Dan_McI]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

I think I just solved the bugging out under martial law problem!! Get one of the ones with teh huge machine guns on it!!!

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#119932 - 01/13/08 09:34 PM Re: Bug Out Motorcycle?!? [Re: Dan_McI]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Dan_McI
I can see that a motorcycle may have some merit as a BOV, but if you want something that can get through most terrain, why would you not pick two-wheels that can just about do that and add some bags to it. Why wouldn't a motocross bike with bags be better?

There's no way you'd fit 225 lbs of gear on a motocross bike. The Ural does that just in the side car. Motocross bikes aren't designed to carry cargo.

I'd say maybe an enduro style bike like the aforementioned 1200GS though I'd go with something cheaper like a KLR650. There's no doubt that a 2 wheeled machine is going to be more 'all terrain' than a bike with a side car...but I need to think about BOBs and a wife who doesn't ride. It's all about compromise.

#119991 - 01/14/08 03:50 AM Re: Bug Out Motorcycle?!? [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I don't like murdercycles, sorry...

#120010 - 01/14/08 04:50 AM Re: Bug Out Motorcycle?!? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I don't like murdercycles, sorry...

Same here, I don't know if Cali is the same way, but in NJ it seems like people in cars aim for guys and gals on motorcycles. All my friends that rode have either stopped because they had too many close calls or died. It's really sad.

With that in mind, I think I'd rather have some kind of a quad ATV. I think they would be a bit safer having the stability of four wheels and a bit better off road. I know they can carry a lot of stuff strapped to the back and front as well (plus being able to tow a ~1,000lb trailer). I don't know what their on-road legalities are in your state (some you can get them registered for on-road use, other states you can't), but if you really have to get out of an area fast, I wouldn't really care. Arctic Cat even makes one that will run on diesel/bio-diesel/JP-5/JP-8, though I don't know how it is.

#120024 - 01/14/08 01:01 PM Re: Bug Out Motorcycle?!? [Re: Paul810]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I live in a downtown condo. ATVs aren't an option. Nor are trailers. Nor are a lot of things.

#120078 - 01/14/08 06:48 PM Re: Bug Out Motorcycle?!? [Re: ]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
A jeep would be better than a bike, esp. with a wife who doesn't ride. I started riding off road when I was 12, and that was a long, long time ago. I've had 4 road bikes since I got my MC endorsement. Riding on a very wet road is not fun, or safe. For "bugging out" 3 wheels is better than 2, and 4 better than 3 IMHO.

#120088 - 01/14/08 08:07 PM Re: Bug Out Motorcycle?!? [Re: Stu]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: SBRaider
A jeep would be better than a bike, esp. with a wife who doesn't ride. I started riding off road when I was 12, and that was a long, long time ago. I've had 4 road bikes since I got my MC endorsement. Riding on a very wet road is not fun, or safe. For "bugging out" 3 wheels is better than 2, and 4 better than 3 IMHO.

100% on the money there. When it comes down to it my Jeep Compass is going to every bit as well if not better than a Ural will even though the 'off road' ability of a Compass is questionable.

#120106 - 01/14/08 09:05 PM Re: Bug Out Motorcycle?!? [Re: ]
CSG Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Idaho
I think Kawasaki probably makes the best bike for this purpose in their KLR 650. If I weren't so old and breakable I'd get one.

http://www.kawasaki.com/products/Detail.aspx?id=161

Otherwise, I think a Jeep or even better, a HumVee might make more sense (as long as you can get gas!).

#120217 - 01/15/08 02:00 PM Re: Bug Out Motorcycle?!? [Re: CSG]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: CSG
a HumVee might make more sense (as long as you can get gas!).

A HumVee is/was desifned for todays modern military, that alone makes it not the best choice for a personal bug our vehilce. Its designed with military use and a military support structure in mind. Its designed to fit in with tanks and large vehicles and designed with the thought that there will be a fuel supply chain (Diesel not gas). For a personal vehicle a jeep or 4x4 truck/suv is a better choice since they are still intended to be a personal vehilce. To illustrate the purpose specific deisgn a little better, imagine your running a package shipping and delivery company, would you want two seat small cars or box vans, but driving to and from work in a parking garage which would be a better vehicle the two seat small car or the box van? Its all about using the right tool for the job.
This is one of the reasons I went with a basic pickup truck rather than something like a HumVee or even the civi version or H2. A 4x4 truck is designed to carry a few people,tools, supplies, gear which fits a family well. I can carry my family in the extended cab and still have room in the bed for planty of gear and supplies.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 301 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.