Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#120080 - 01/14/08 06:56 PM Re: Helping stranded motorists [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: DrmstrSpoodle
I hate to sound heartless, but most of the time I never stop or ask if they need help. I usually just call the police and report the disabled vehicle, its information, and that of the occupants. There's just WAY too many idiots that live in my area, and I don't want to take any crazy risks...

Same here! I'll call it in, but not expose myself. If another is with me, and we are both armed, depending on the situation, but calling it in is safer.

#120152 - 01/15/08 12:27 AM Re: Helping stranded motorists [Re: Stu]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
When I hear things like this, it brings home how much things have changed. I've traveled over quite a lot of the U.S., from CA to ME, and if I had trouble, or was even stopped to let the dog out, someone would at least slow down and yell, "Are you okay?"

I read a book called Australian Adventure by an American naturalist who drove around Australia with her two teenaged daughters in the 1970s (before the Stuart Hwy was paved). In the outback, it was considered bad form to pass anyone who was stopped by the side of the road without checking on them. Everyone considered it their duty to watch out for each other.

The woman would see a vehicle under a tree or beside a tank, and they would stop and yell (in their newly-acquired Aussie accents), "Are you roight?" And the guys would wave and yell back, "Yeah, we're roight! Ta!"

It's a pity that we've reached a point in our 'civilized' society where almost all our decisions regarding other people are based on fear.

Sue

#120417 - 01/16/08 06:07 PM Re: Helping stranded motorists [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
I don't mean to drag up old posts but this applies and I thought it would be worth mentioning. Where I work is a fairly isolated compound off the main road and assessable by dirt road only. There are long stretches up the main road before the turn off where there are no street lights etc and it is not uncommon to see vehicles skidded off the road at this time of year. Just about an hour ago I was traveling up this road on the way back to work when I saw a small car half way in the ditch after hitting a patch of ice. I slowed to a stop and took a look to see a small old woman in the car crying. She had skidded off the road trying to avoid an oncoming car that was too far over on her side of the road. thinking that there was a broad shoulder she tried to pull out of the way and the tires had hooked the snow covered edge. The snow proved deeper than it looked and her small front wheel drive was hopelessly stuck. As I approached a wave of relief came over her face. seeing me in uniform assured her that I wasn't any more of a nut than I may have thought she was. In 5 minutes flat I hooked up a tow strap and pulled her out. She had no cell phone as she had said she never really had any use for them, and thus could not call for help. Turns out she was paying a surprise visit to her Grandson who lives on base and who will be deploying overseas next week. After refusing her attempts at giving me money she would not let me leave without some banana bread (brought for her grandson) and a big hug (believe it or not). She explained to me that several people had passed without giving her even a glance. I drove away feeling very proud to have helped her out but sad at the same time. Canada is probably the friendliest place on earth,(most of the time) where people helping strangers is usually a common every day thing. After 911 people were taking in strangers off of flights into their own homes to eat and sleep for several days in my home province of Newfoundland, as all air traffic was suspended in and out of any airport. I was shocked that no one else stopped to help when even the slightest glance would have shown her to be an old woman by herself. I have been almost all over this globe and have seen the uncaring attitude people have for each other in other countries. I still am shocked when it happens here. Is this what it is all coming to I wonder? Its pretty sad.

#120418 - 01/16/08 06:32 PM Re: Helping stranded motorists [Re: Taurus]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Taurus
I have been almost all over this globe and have seen the uncaring attitude people have for each other in other countries. I still am shocked when it happens here. Is this what it is all coming to I wonder? Its pretty sad.

Kudos to you Taurus.

Is the World coming to this? Too often, but that does not me when cannot fight it. We can and should fight it, and you just did.

#120427 - 01/16/08 07:37 PM Re: Helping stranded motorists [Re: HerbG]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
Originally Posted By: HerbG
Generally, I think the need to stop has been negated by the availability of cell phones. I don't know many people who don't carry one when they travel, but I am sure there are exceptions.

I normally don't stop for people in cities or on heavily traveled roads. I figure in areas like that there are plenty of LEOs, cell phones, roadside assistance, etc which are all much better equipped to help out than I would be. Of coarse this excludes the situation where I see the incident happen and am the first on the scene.

However, I also spend a fair amount of time on less traveled back roads where there is no cell coverage, and have winched a fair number of vehicles out of ditches. I figure I'll at least check things out because who knows when the next car will go by? I normally approach the scene slowly, flip on my light rack, roll down my windows and ask if the stranded vehicle needs assistance.

Edited by Rio (01/16/08 07:39 PM)

#120448 - 01/16/08 11:25 PM Re: Helping stranded motorists [Re: Rio]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I have been helped many times in my various travels, and I will help others out in the sticks. But I look the situation over very, very carefully. And when I need help, I keep my attention focused. I also tend to travel with largish wolfish-looking, dark-faced dogs, which may be an edge.

The two Scottish ladies (retired schoolteachers) who had a flat tire between Baker, CA and Las Vegas, NV, were a real hoot. They had forgotten to put a rock under the wheel and their jack got wedged under the car when it rolled. Being the Queen of Flat Tires that I am, I got it changed before my flare burned out. They said they had waited for two hours before they tried doing it themselves. Being visitors to the country, they didn't know what to do. (This was in the pre-cell days.)

I've only picked up hitchhikers twice. The woman turned out to be someone that I knew by phone, but had never met in person. What are the chances of that? The other one was a sick 14-yr-old boy I met in a campground in Wenatchee, WA, and spent the entire trip over the Cascades to Everett vomiting in a large cottage cheese container.

I tend to assume that men should be able to take care of themselves, and don't stop. The single exception was when a car had slid just a couple of feet off an icy road, and he needed to be dragged back just a little bit. A SP officer was slowing people, and was asking if anyone had a tow strap, which I did. I would think the SP would have one, but....?

I know many people refuse to stop under any circumstances. But if something happens and they need help, they expect someone to help them. It's hard for me to think like that.

Sue

#120490 - 01/17/08 03:17 AM Re: Helping stranded motorists [Re: ]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Precautions???

I just survey the scene for suspicious characters. Last time I helped a lady get her van out of the snowy ditch and never really thought about needing to defend myself from a 50 year old woman. [Incidentally her husband was an American army ranger, who proudly displayed a special license plate on the vehicle.]

That said... a couple years ago, a native fellow, a little whacked on drugs and evading a crime scene took a stolen vehicle out of town. He ran into the ditch or something and "hitched" a ride with the next people to stop. He promptly robbed them of their vehicle and continued driving. He had problems with that vehicle and this time ran out of gas. A second set of good Samaritans stopped to help him out and he robbed them of their vehicle. He was eventually caught by the RCMP much to the chagrin of those who stopped to help him.

Also a couple of years ago, in a neighbourhood convenience store (2 blocks from me), a man tried to intervene in an argument the clerk was having with a group of teens. He was rewarded with a kitchen knife straight through the heart and passed away at the scene.

So yeah, now that you mention it, perhaps a person should exercise a bit of caution when being a Samaritan! Is that going to stop me from helping out a stranger - NO. But I will think 2x before doing so.

#120493 - 01/17/08 03:55 AM Re: Helping stranded motorists [Re: OldBaldGuy]
red Offline

Yep, I do regular ride-alongs and am amazed at how careful the Highway Patrol is for requiring the presence of another officer for fairly mundane tasks. If one of their own troopers has a flat, another MUST come to assist, can't have a single officer in a crouched over position concentrating on putting a spare on...something about checking his sixes :-)

#120534 - 01/17/08 03:14 PM Re: Helping stranded motorists [Re: red]
Survival1 Offline
Stranger

For me, I always follow the rule no good deed goes unpunished. When I was coming home from ROTC in college, I had my uniform on and it was snowy. There was a lady stuck in snow along the side of the road. I decided to stop and push her car out, hoping she would see an Army guy and not think I was insane.

I managed to get her car out and then went back to mine, only to find I was stuck! I eventually got out after about 5 solid minutes of trying. I had no survival bag or any warmer clothes than my ROTC stuff (basic BDUs). I was stupid, I know!

Today, I will not stop to help people. There is a caveat to it, though. If I feel that a woman (especially) or man is being threatened by another human, I feel it is my right and duty as a human to assist. I would want someone to do it for my daughter and wife, so I feel if I am ever faced with this, I would help. Bottom line, though, is it is better to dial 911 and let the pros do their work.

With the broken down car along the side of the road, you never know what you are getting into.

Good luck!

#120611 - 01/17/08 11:43 PM Re: Helping stranded motorists [Re: Dan_McI]
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
(30) A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
(31) And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
(32) And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
(33) But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,
(34) And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.

2000 years ago, Jesus was telling the same story. It isn't anything new, nor is it peculiar to this particular time and continent.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.