Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#119846 - 01/13/08 01:59 AM Bug Out Motorcycle?!?
Hacksaw
Unregistered

One of my jobs in the summer is that of a motorcycle rider training instructor. I was working our annual local motorcycle show today and I think I've found my next (3rd) motorcycle. Being the survival geek that I am I couldn't help but think of the many applications for one of these bad boys:

http://www.imz-ural.com/patrol/

Yes. That is a new motorcycle.

It's the only motorcycle I've ever seen which comes with a sidecar (that means lots of cargo) and is 2 wheel drive (the sidecar wheel is driven). At the bike show they had a video of a guy who'd retrofit a plow blade and was clearing snow from his driveway with one.

The design hasn't changed in WWII and because it's ultra basic (carbs instead of fuel injections, kick starter standard, etc) anybody with any mechanical know how, some gum, and some twine can make repairs.

#119850 - 01/13/08 02:22 AM Re: Bug Out Motorcycle?!? [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
This motorcycle has been discussed a few times here on ETS. Even five years ago they had a bad reputation for quality control. Someone on this board said that they've been greatly improved and are now much more reliable.

The ability to run it as 2-wheeled drive is good and supposedly they can handle some pretty rough/slippery/muddy terrain. Plus, they look damn cool.

Personally I say if you have the cash get one and report back to us. Better yet, pass it around to a few of us with motorcycyle licenses and we'll all report on it. whistle

-Blast

Edited by Blast (01/13/08 02:23 AM)
Edit Reason: really good wine next to computer
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#119852 - 01/13/08 02:31 AM Re: Bug Out Motorcycle?!? [Re: ]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Remember the adage, you get what you pay for...

A guy in my old neighborhood bought one of these bikes new less then 2 years ago and had nothing but complaints about the quality and durability of the bike.

More then once we seen that bike on the flatdeck being taken back to the dealer for work.

#119853 - 01/13/08 02:33 AM Re: Bug Out Motorcycle?!? [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi,

I have no experience with motorcycles but remember some WWII news-reels and war movies (e.g. Where Eagles Dare) where motorcycles with sidecars went through some pretty bad terrain/road conditions.

Looks like an interesting vehicle.

Mike

#119855 - 01/13/08 02:36 AM Re: Bug Out Motorcycle?!? [Re: Blast]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Thanks Blast. I was so excited about this discovery I didn't even think of the search feature.

I'm definitely going to get one but since my Jeep was nearly written off on Wednesday it might not be until spring now.

I found these sweet YouTube videos. The first is snow testing and the other is a funny military promotional video. for a bike that weighs close to 800 lbs they beat on it pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq9gBNlgkpw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN5PAwc1ns8

#119864 - 01/13/08 03:12 AM Re: Bug Out Motorcycle?!? [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#119865 - 01/13/08 03:22 AM Re: Bug Out Motorcycle?!? [Re: Blast]
LED Offline
Veteran

Although more expensive, the three wheeled Piaggio MP3 looks like an interesting BOM. Saw one in traffic yesterday and that think moves. Of course, if money is no obstacle, the BMW 1200GS is also a nice way to go.

http://www.piaggiousa.com/pScooters/MP3500.cfm

Edited by LED (01/13/08 03:23 AM)

#119869 - 01/13/08 03:47 AM Re: Bug Out Motorcycle?!? [Re: LED]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've ridden both of those bikes. I'd say the Piaggio is only a good BOV if you're 100% sure you're going to be on clear paved roads the entire time...remember that the twin front wheels aren't driven...which means they're going to drag in mud like a mofo.

The 1200GS is a great machine if you have the money...but...it's very tall and very heavy (I'm not 100% sure but I think you can get a 36L tank for it! you could for the 1150GS)...also very hard to manage in true off road conditions. Watch the Long Way 'Round with Ewan McGreggor and you'll see just how much they fight with the bikes. I think Charlie separates some chest muscles later in the trip pulling the bike out of muck for the millionth time. I used to work in a BMW motorcycle dealership and being the closest dealership to Alaska, I heard a lot of stories from guys making the round trip from the US...some of them were pretty bad. The guys on the 650GSs always fared better as the bike is way more manageable.

In that same TV series the camera mans bike breaks down so they replace it with a cheap Russian machine and he is super happy because it never breaks down and deals with the local terrain WAY better than the BMWs do...if I recall at one point he laughs at them as he rides past their stuck bikes.

#119873 - 01/13/08 04:08 AM Re: Bug Out Motorcycle?!? [Re: ]
LED Offline
Veteran

Lucky you! Looking at the specs, the 1200 is over 100lbs. heavier (and the seat 5in. higher) than the 650. I also imagine the 8.7gal (32+L) of fuel sloshing around could make things unpredictable. Beautiful bikes but real world experience is what counts.

#119888 - 01/13/08 03:16 PM Re: Bug Out Motorcycle?!? [Re: LED]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I can see that a motorcycle may have some merit as a BOV, but if you want something that can get through most terrain, why would you not pick two-wheels that can just about do that and add some bags to it. Why wouldn't a motocross bike with bags be better?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.