Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#119990 - 01/14/08 03:49 AM Re: Survival Pills [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I wonder if eating these when there is no food would interrupt the bodies natural ability to go into a 'fasting mode' to consume itself conservatively.

#120008 - 01/14/08 04:46 AM Re: Survival Pills [Re: ]
CDVXF7 Offline

I recently tried some. I tried to go 24 hrs on them alone. At 12 tabs a day per instructions. It was a lesson in starvation. I found it increasingly difficult to concentrate and thinking about food and distracted me tab. I gave in after 6 hours. I felt unsafe to drive the company truck. Man, that burger tasted great!. I felt Datex, Mainstay bars or Millennium Bars served me better when I tested them for 24 hrs. I think I would have to eat enough tabs to get at least 1000 cal a day. The serving size of 12 tabs is 240 cal, verses the Millennium bars 400. Common energy bars (Cliff, Balance, Lara, etc) often average 200-300 cal and I think provide more useful nutrition, variety, and take up less space. Meal Pack Bars http://www.mealpack.com/ are a little expensive but very good and gave me good energy.

I decided to pack Mainstay & Millennium bars in my vehicle BOB because they can withstand the heat. The tabs would work too, but I would have to have enough for at least 1000-1200 cal a day.

Oh yeah as far as taste the tabs tasted like sweet dry milk. They don't dissolve easily in coffee. Looking at the ingredients I think thats all they are is dried milk, sugar & vitamins.

#139622 - 07/14/08 08:57 PM Re: Survival Pills [Re: ]
sirroyalbrown Offline
Stranger

I actually take life caps everyday just as a supplement.
I find that I have no hunger pains, and can eat or not on it.

the new site is http:/www.lifecaps.net/

I just think that this sort of thing would be perfect for a survival kit, or in the glovebox or backpack or something. Hey if it can save my life, I am more than happy to purchase it.

#139627 - 07/14/08 09:46 PM Re: Survival Pills [Re: sirroyalbrown]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Originally Posted By: sirroyalbrown
Hey if it can save my life, I am more than happy to purchase it.

And if it can't?

Maybe Im just a cynic though!

Welcome to the forum!!

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#139633 - 07/14/08 10:35 PM Re: Survival Pills [Re: sirroyalbrown]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!!!

#139691 - 07/15/08 03:58 PM Re: Survival Pills [Re: OldBaldGuy]
sirroyalbrown Offline
Stranger

Why thank you.

Certainly it wouldn't be worth purchasing if it didn't. If a car didn't run, I certainly wouldn't purchase it.

We all are cynics in one way or another, I was a definite cynic of the tax refunds that were said to go out until I received my $600 dollars.

#139899 - 07/16/08 11:58 PM NOTE: sirroyalbrown Banned [Re: sirroyalbrown]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Be advised that sirroyalbrown is a manufacturer/retailer of this product (Life Caps) and failed to identify himself as such per our rules and has been permanently banned.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#139925 - 07/17/08 02:33 AM Re: NOTE: sirroyalbrown Banned [Re: Doug_Ritter]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"... permanently banned..."

That pretty much says it all...

#139947 - 07/17/08 03:34 AM Re: NOTE: sirroyalbrown Banned [Re: OldBaldGuy]
BrianB Offline

Well, the OP has been banned, and the pills look like simple multivitamins with no real nutritional value (fats, proteins, and carbs). But it does bring up something I've been considering: Calories.

My understanding -- please correct me if I'm wrong -- is that you need calories to fuel you. There are other "survival pills" on the market (I forget the brand name*), and those are very low in calories, as are a lot of other products jammed full of vitamins but low in calories, and being advertised as survival food.

My understanding is that you want as many calories as you can cram into a small amount of food for a survival situation. This is also the reason that people don't suggest you expend too much effort seeking food for short term survival situations: You can easily burn more energy than the food you can gather provides.

I also wonder if those pills increase your need for water. They say they don't on the site, and the site seems fairly credible, but has anyone who's tried these observed that to be true?

The point made above about vitamins helping you convert body fat stores is an interesting one. Of course, a good multivitamin can accomplish this.

*I just re-read the thread before posting this. The 240 calories/day pills linked above are the ones.

#140020 - 07/17/08 03:10 PM Re: NOTE: sirroyalbrown Banned [Re: ]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Hard working folks burn upward of 3000 calories per day. minimal weight loss diets bottom out at about 1000 calories per day,If intake is below the burn rate, we metabolize liver glycogen stores, then stored fat, then muscle tissue. After that runs out, we die. (I figure I'm good for about 6 months between the glycogen and muscle stages). As we metabolize fat and protein, we produce ketones as a waste product, and need to drink lots of fluid to flush ketones out of the system.
Vitamin tablets are pretty important in the long run to supplement a limited diet, but scurvy, pellagra and night-blindness will take a long time to kill you.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 389 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.