The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#116354 - 12/18/07 02:38 AM I Am Legend, the movie, not my delusional thinking
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Just saw Will Smith's I Am Legend this weekend.

Woof! Talk about intense.

I was thinking about you guys/gals watching it with the Emergency Preparedness/Survival aspects in it.

What struck me though was coping with the psychological aspects of survival and the importance (at least important to me) of keeping a journal.

How many keep a journal?

In your Bug Out Plans, do you have the ability to document what's going on, etc factored into your plans?

Do you even consider documenting events/observations/etc important/necessary/or just a luxury?

#116356 - 12/18/07 02:50 AM Re: I Am Legend, the movie, not my delusional thinking [Re: samhain]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I have a journal in my bug out bag, I don't use one now but thought that if things got that bad I might need to keep track of certain things. I also saw the movie, wasn't too bad, not what I expected though, guess I was looking for more of the prep's and survival aspects, he had it to easy....lol until he ummmmm !!!! u know...lol
That had to be a real bummer......don't want to spoil it for anyone that hasn't seen it yet.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#116359 - 12/18/07 03:02 AM Re: I Am Legend, the movie, not my delusional thinking [Re: Shadow_oo00]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

well if anyone has seen the show afterworld (afterworld.tv) rus keeps a journal. It seems to help him out!?

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#116361 - 12/18/07 03:39 AM Re: I Am Legend, the movie, not my delusional thinking [Re: samhain]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I keep a log book of my underway watches and I have toyed with the idea of keeping a journal during a disastrous period but I think I would pass on the extra weight (including the paperwork drill) during a bugout situation.

#116364 - 12/18/07 03:53 AM Re: I Am Legend, the movie, not my delusional thinking [Re: samhain]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
That which happens should be recorded, if for no other reason than the human memory is imperfect.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#116376 - 12/18/07 06:03 AM Re: I Am Legend, the movie, not my delusional thinking [Re: ironraven]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Space in my backpack is limited. Priority has to be given to those things which can help me survive. If there happens to be enough room for a notebook after everything else finds its place, then fine. But I'm not going to remove other items just to make room for a notebook.

#116399 - 12/18/07 03:37 PM Re: I Am Legend, the movie, not my delusional thinking [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
My impression of the movie, without yet having seen it, is that it seems to be a remake of "The Omega Man"; a Charlton Heston 70s movie.

#116403 - 12/18/07 03:58 PM Re: I Am Legend, the movie, not my delusional thinking [Re: benjammin]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Don't know if you could call it a journal, but I keep about a dozen index cards and a couple of Fisher Space Pens in the BOB. Might want to leave notes, or record important happenings as others have mentioned above.

I also keep a log on the sailboat. That way I can check and see if my trip estimate (distance, time, currents etc.) comes out anything close to the real world. It's embarassing to take a couple of guests out for an overnighter and find yourself 25 miles from home as the sun sets on the second day.

#116407 - 12/18/07 04:04 PM Re: I Am Legend, the movie, not my delusional thinking [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Keep a Journal (I call it a log)!!

I have worked more than a few disasters as a hospital administrator, Ham, Red Cross responder, Search and Rescue responder and during my own private disasters.

Over time I have developed a logging method that works for me. I have referred to it countless times for information that I logged that I really did not know I would need later. Here is how I do it.

I use a small spiral binder. About 3x5. Starting from the BACK, I make notes as things happen. Mostly names of people I meet, radio frequencies, things others might mention, most anything. Usually it is almost incomprehensible scribbles. After each entry, I draw a horizontal line to separate that thought from the next.

When things are quiet, at least once a day, I transcribe the scribbles to the FRONT of the notebook. I add legibility, expand on what I wrote and in general make it so I can understand it a month later.

When I transcribe, I draw a single diagonal line through the transcribed scribble portion. When the entire page has been transcribed I draw a diagonal the opposite direction through the whole page. I do not rip out the scribble page.

When a page is full, I tear off a small piece of the bottom right corner. (I am left handed). Then when I need to open it quickly, I can grab the bottom right corner and end up at the latest empty spot. No fumbling through the pages to find an empty space to write.

I can't stress enough how useful this notebook will become. buy a bundle of these notebooks (12 for about $5 as sams club) and practice by tracking your daily activities.

Keeping log is an acquired skill. In time you will develop a technique that fits your needs. Start a log every time your world deviates from the routine. You start a trip, you start a hike, you have an auto accident, anytime you do anything unusual.

Do it however it works for you but DO IT!!

#116408 - 12/18/07 04:08 PM Re: I Am Legend, the movie, not my delusional thinking [Re: benjammin]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Originally Posted By: benjammin
My impression of the movie, without yet having seen it, is that it seems to be a remake of "The Omega Man"; a Charlton Heston 70s movie.

Both are based on the same novel.
The movie was OK. There were some obvious unanswered questions probably due to editing.
Bill

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 446 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.