Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#119276 - 01/08/08 12:24 AM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: ]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Hi Hacksaw,

This is one of the best posts I have seen here! Thank you for your time investment and candor on gear types and uses. You mentioned your wife took the picture of your pack on your back...does she also have a BOB and gear assembly? I'm curious because I've faced some challenges in helping my wife design her emergency pack. For example how much redundancy should be included and where to cut the weight without reducing the effectiveness. Which gear items should be shared? I know the traditional rules for backpacking (sharing cooking and shelter components) however in an emergency situation it seems to be a fine balance between having the essentials for a stand alone pack (in case we got separated) and "bugging out" together as a team. I was curious if you had an approach to this challenge since you have such a great system set up for yourself. smile

Thanks Hacksaw! I'm going to compare my gear with your post and see if I have any deficiencies and take advantage of your innovative ideas!

Cheers,
Logan.

#119284 - 01/08/08 01:00 AM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: Loganenator]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

OMG yes!

My wife is the least prepared person I know despite my efforts. At least she has some knowledge thanks to my never ending bantering about survival topics.

I've managed to get her to put some essentials in her purse and I've put together a bit of a kit for her using a MEC shoulder bag smaller than the one pictured above (identical style). I've also convinced her to add a Gerber Clutch multipliers to her keychain (it was pink...easy sell). I've also made sure she's familiar with the gear in the car kit in case she ever needs any of it while I'm not there.

Other than that I haven't been able to get her more prepared than that except maybe while we're camping (whistle and a SAK on a lanyard is standard camping fare for her since she met me).

That's one of the reasons I have so much overlap. I would have stopped at mere overkill had I put this pack together 5 or more years ago. With the pack the way it is, it almost gets better as the gear can be split up (there's even two packs!). granted there isn't enough shelter or sleeping gear for two but those things can often be fabricated if the chips are really down.

#119531 - 01/09/08 09:17 PM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Truthfully much of this stuff was purchased in October when I went to the US last and a lot of the rest has been purchased since I joined this site (what a coincidence wink ). I haven't had a chance to use it much in that time (read: Winter). The rest is just really well cared for.

My 'old' gear has either been retired or has been deemed unsuitable to be mentioned lest somebody point and laugh smile

#119682 - 01/11/08 05:54 AM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

One more thing I'd like to add.

I try not to commit myself to any particular combination. Every time I pull stuff out, I try to think if there is a better way when it comes time to put everything back.

For example I pulled much of the gear out to do my little balcony test of my sleep system...but because I did some alcohol stove cooking while I did the test I had to pull quite a bit of gear out of the main section of the pack. When I went to pack it again I thought about what I could do to prevent this and the pack ended up getting put back together in a different way...I also made some observations/discoveries:

• Rebuilt my fire and water kit, moving the Crux stove to the fuel can as it was intended (I've included a picture of it's most recent version). I put the kit into a HD zip top bag and into one of the side pockets of the pack (I now have everything I need to cook/melt on the run without needing to breach the main part of the pack). I moved the straw filter to the canteen kit trading it for the MIOX pen (this reduced the weight of the canteen kit slightly...it's pretty heavy when full of water).

• Lashed the LMF II knife to the outside of the pack so it can be obtained while the pack is being worn and to make room for the above kit. I'm thinking about doing this with the Gerber saw and Gerber machete too...it works well and there's lots of webbing on the outside of the pack.
  • When I unpacked I was going to ditch the stainless cups to save weight...don't really need them I thought. Then before lighting the stove on the carpet of my balcony I needed something to put the cooker on to protect the carpet...the cup worked like a charm! The carpet could just as easily have been snow that I didn't want the stove to melt through...the cups stay, so handy! I did ditch the spoon from the 'eat it while it's hot' kit since the fire & water kit has one and is now easily accessed.
  • While I was packing up all the bits I came across the idea of putting the tea light candle shown above inside the cooker and using it as a bit of a lantern as it's got a notch in the front to let light out and the high walls around the sides and back keep the wind at bay...that's the theory anyhow.

This sort of thing happens almost every time I unpack and repack anything. It's also the reason why I have a pen and Moleskine...so I can write down observations about what works and what doesn't while I'm out there be it camping, fishing, or whatever.

#119703 - 01/11/08 01:52 PM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Awesome gear dude. The one thing I noticed is that you didn't mention snow shoes. For SAR work I imagine they would be a must here in Alberta this time of year. I just got a new pair of bear paws from wholesale sports to replace my older, heavier trail style snow shoes and what a difference they make. I would compare it to running in boots and then in running shoes. These even came with a pair of those trekking poles although I never have had a need for them. Best of all, they are ultra light and easily can be strapped to the outside of my pack when not needed. (they are half price now rumor has it) laugh

#119712 - 01/11/08 03:03 PM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: Taurus]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I was waiting for somebody to notice that. Believe it or not I don't own a modern pair of snow shoes. I have an antique pair that belong to my dad I have borrowed...old school cat gut. They work but every year he gets more leary loaning them out because they're so old.

It's on my list of things to get but they're not a cheap item.

There aren't many SAR call outs in the winter around here (usually just lost hunters). I've yet to be invovled in one.

#119722 - 01/11/08 04:18 PM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: ]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

Great Post!

Quite the inspiring pictorial. While I noted the links for the Fire and Water kits and the Gear Repair kits, I did not see anything regarding the hunt/fish kit. What all you got hiding in there?

Re,

C. Rowe

#119724 - 01/11/08 04:25 PM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
There aren't many SAR call outs in the winter around here (usually just lost hunters). I've yet to be invovled in one.

They are little bit on the pricy side but a must for someone like me who is always screwing around in the woods. So far I am super happy with my new ones and they were worth every penny. Like all good gear though I pick it up a bit at a time when I can afford it, and it has taken me this long to replace them. I will be trying my luck at rabbit hunting and maybe a bit of ice fishing this weekend if time allows so you may get lucky and get your lost hunter after all. grin

#119725 - 01/11/08 04:37 PM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: Crowe]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I'll take a picture of it tonight. Here's the list (from memory. fixed)

• 20lb. test fishing line (a big-ish spool. I use it for lots of things besides fishing)
  • 2 speedhooks
  • 3 floats
  • Assorted small fishing hooks (in a little baggie)
  • Assorted spinners (in a baggie as well)
  • Assorted split weights (guess what? In another little baggie)
  • Small anchor attached to some nylon cord for anchoring a fishing rig to the ground
  • About 15M of brass snare wire (I've never actually used a snare to catch an animal but I tend to use the wire a lot for other stuff...very handy)
  • CRKT M16 knife (modified. I glued a floss cutter to one of the scales so I can cut line without opening the knife).
  • Several small spoons (red/white, copper, silver)
  • Small baggie of synthetic bait (just little rubber wormie goobers of different colors)
  • Diamond sharpening steel with hook groove (modified to cut down on weight).

I've been thinking about premaking a night line from some pickerel rigs and a heavy weight...worried it will be too tangly however.

As you can see I'm a fisherman before a hunter.

Edited by Hacksaw (01/11/08 11:47 PM)
Edit Reason: Memory not so good

#119778 - 01/12/08 02:05 AM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I pulled the hunt & fish kit apart when I got home from work to take a picture of it and I realized a few things were wrong.

• The knife: The Columbia River knife is a very good knife...but this one has a partially serrated blade AND a tanto tip...the two features you DON'T want if you have to gut a fish or take apart a rabbit. It would work but there are better tools for the job and I have a lot of knives so I started looking for a replacement in my 'knife drawer'. I decided on the CRKT Sting. Yes I know it's basically a double edged dagger but it would be a very good knife for taking apart critters. Without any scales it would clean up very easily, it's definitely more a 'one hand opener' than any of the other options, and can be turned into a very handy spear...that's hunting right? I even tossed in the ankle straps so I could use it as a dive style knife if I had to (not ideal but it's what I've got). If this were just a fishing kit (and that may be the case one day, I'd buy this knife but I like the versatility of the Sting. Maybe I don't even need a knife...it's hard for me to make any kit without a knife in it...I just love knives!
  • The sharpener: It's too big and heavy even modified the way I've modified it...a steel rod 6 inches long to sharpen fish hooks? It's got to go. It's not even a very good sharpener (I wouldn't use it on any of my knives). There is a very good sharpener of the same style in the gear repair kit already.
  • The spoons. I took out all the spoons except the Len Thompson #7. I think I've caught more fish on this style of red & white devil than any other hook. This one is new...smaller than the well experienced one which was in there before. Plus spoons don't work that well with static lines, floats, and don't go with the speed hooks at all.
  • Moved all hooks, split weights, and spinners to a single baggie.

This is a prime example of what I was talking about...how I constantly revise my kittage.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.