Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#119911 - 01/13/08 07:27 PM Re: Luminous tape [Re: ironraven]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Originally Posted By: ironraven
the inside of my pack is probably pretty dark. I don't fit in it, so I can't be sure, but unless there is a gremlin with a flashlight I keep missing anything that needs light to glow isn't going to be glowing when I need it.

Ahhhh Ironraven. I really look forward to comments like these. They always do to make a person grin. grin I can’t fit inside my pack either, and even if I could it would be really hard to carry it that way. It would eliminate the need to carry shelter though.
If this tape is charged, it will glow very bright, even enough to read with if you get it close enough to the paper. During the day, it will collect ambient light and glow very well at night. If stored in a dark pack and taken out in the dark it still has an ever so faint glow. This is better than nothing in a bad situ, and if dropped it still makes stuff much easier to find.

#119913 - 01/13/08 07:41 PM Re: Luminous tape [Re: smitty]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Smitty.
A few years back a friend gave me an off the shelf PSK as a gift. The contents of the kit were pure crap, all but this thing. It is a spear head designed to be carried in a PSK. The holes are to fix it to a stick with nails and the back is a can opener/screwdriver. I fixed it to a broom handle last year and spent hours at the beach (in BC) in waist deep water spearing crabs and stuff. It worked so well that it has found a permanent home in my PSK. I have a friend (who is a metal worker) to make me more of them.

#119920 - 01/13/08 08:08 PM Re: Luminous tape [Re: Taurus]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Taurus:

In my AO, Home Depot carries rolls of reflective tape and IIRC, the price point was good.

On many pieces of my outdoors eqipment and my bikes, I use Scotchlite stickers from MEC .

#119923 - 01/13/08 08:29 PM Re: Luminous tape [Re: ironraven]
LED Offline
Veteran

Or you could always go with some tiny tritium vials a lot of people over on CPF put on their flashlights.

#119924 - 01/13/08 08:36 PM Re: Luminous tape [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Once in a while you can find free promotional items that are made of reflective tape.

I have a few strips from Tim Hortons Coffee Shop that I think were intended for Halloween costumes and CRIMESTOPPERS stickers are sometimes reflective.

Reflective tape is also sold at Canadian Tire in the trailer or vehicle trim section (but it is not cheap).

I posted about using reflective tacks as trail markers earlier and I remembered a couple other items for this purpose. One is like a white reflective garbage bag twist tie that you tie on branches, the other is a small bottle of liquid that you squirt on a tree, it looks like water but at night the wet area is reflective (this was not as good as the tape).

The reason I use this clandestine method of marking my hunting trail is that if you mark it with flagging tape other people follow the trail in and disturb the hunting area (or steal/damage my tree stand).

Mike

#120054 - 01/14/08 05:43 PM Re: Luminous tape [Re: ironraven]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
I can't be sure, but unless there is a gremlin with a flashlight I keep missing anything that needs light to glow isn't going to be glowing when I need it.

I know there's a gremlin in my pack messing with my flashlights. Why else would the batteries be dead when I need them? grin

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#120056 - 01/14/08 05:44 PM Re: Luminous tape [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
And people think I am being scarcastic.

No Buckshot, we think you are a loser.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#120072 - 01/14/08 06:27 PM Re: Luminous tape [Re: Blast]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
And people think I am being scarcastic.

No Buckshot, we think you are a loser.

-Blast

grin grin grin

#120091 - 01/14/08 08:26 PM Re: Luminous tape [Re: ]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: Buckshot

And people think I am being scarcastic. A path out of moms basement when the lights go out?, your spare ps2 controller?, your emergency supply of prunejuice?, or mabey the keys to the trunk where your stormtrooper suit is stored? dont want to be losing those. never know when the next starwars convention will be.

Please find a different website for your comments. We appreciate humor, but not personal attacks. It's sad that you only took 8 posts before I decided to ignore you.

Edited by BrianTexas (01/14/08 08:29 PM)

#120097 - 01/14/08 08:38 PM Re: Luminous tape [Re: SwampDonkey]
Taurus Offline
Addict

For SWAMPDONKEY, SHERPADOG and others who gave tips and references for other types of luminous tape, Thanks a lot folks. I picked up a roll of the tape and some tacks for night trail marking to put in my hunting kit today at lunch. Up until now I had been using lightsticks for the job. They work good too but I will save a bit of space with the tape. I will use the lightsticks to make the downed game and the tape/tacks for the trail.
Sharing and recieving tips and info like this is what made it a good choice to join this forum. grin

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.