Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#119739 - 01/11/08 07:33 PM Re: 30% chance the U.S. will be hit with a nuke . [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK

#119743 - 01/11/08 07:51 PM Re: 30% chance the U.S. will be hit with a nuke . [Re: benjammin]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
New York Flying Pizza? Seems dubious to me.

#119745 - 01/11/08 08:01 PM Re: 30% chance the U.S. will be hit with a nuke . [Re: Dan_McI]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, you're not going to get Grimaldi's or Lombardi's to deliver to the west coast unless you want pay "Guido's rate", which I don't think any of us here can afford. Even so, there's a lot of "not so good" pizza based on Manhattan standards that'd still be better than what you will find anywhere in the greater Seattle Metropolitan area.

Then again, no one makes anything close to a suitable clam chowder in Manhattan compared to the old Ivar's red that I used to enjoy on the ferry ride across Elliot Bay. Something about the water I think...

Of course now my tastes lean more towards a good gator tail po'boy with a side of fried oranges. Oh yeah!!!

#119751 - 01/11/08 08:46 PM Re: 30% chance the U.S. will be hit with a nuke . [Re: benjammin]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I'm a bigger fan of DeNino's on Staten Island and DiFara's in Brooklyn. Lombardi's does not travel well at all, I've ordered it and had it delivered across town. My few years spent in Virginia in grad school lead me to appreciate NY pizza more, but I cannot get bbq or biscuits with gravy or chicken fried steak here like I could there. I've found few local delicacies travel well, and you are missing out if you do not eat them. I simply accept that my local version is not quite as good as the real thing. And I love the different regional foods on the U.S. of A., from lobster and fried clams in New England to dungeness and fish tacos on the West Coast, and almost everything in between.

I also had a friend who kind of set me straight on complaining about bad pizza. His thought was that there is no such thing. Sure, there is better and worse in a relative sense. But eat the worst piece of frozen cardboard from the grocery store, and it still tastes pretty good to me.

Try to find some good examples of a NY Oyster Stew today. It's not easy anywhere.

As with emergencies and disasters and food. Each local area has differences, and knowing the strengths and weaknesses in each is key.

#119780 - 01/12/08 02:12 AM Re: 30% chance the U.S. will be hit with a nuke . [Re: benjammin]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Ben, please stop. You are tempting me to break a New Years resolution. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#119792 - 01/12/08 03:48 AM Re: 30% chance the U.S. will be hit with a nuke . [Re: ]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Flying Pizza. Interesting concept. Which brings up an interesting question. If you order a pizza delivered to your location in a another state and then there is a biological, chemical or dirty bomb attack do you eat the pizza when it arrives?

Or do you give it the once over with the radiation meter and get your kid sister to try if it first?

#119798 - 01/12/08 04:45 AM Re: 30% chance the U.S. will be hit with a nuke . [Re: ]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Quote:
Which was to move out of your moms basement and get a job we hope

Quote:
I guess i shouldnt mess with a guy with a big tough name like ironraven, he may find me on world of warcraft and try to stal my hitpoints.

Quote:
I guess you will feel nice and safe cuddled up in your star wars blanket playing video games and drinking lemonade in your moms basement where you probably live then. Oh I am sorry, you guys call it your command post. Almost forgot

Quote:
WOW, it all looks so new. Do you actually use this gear anywhere besides your balcony??

This all begs the question: where is all this hostility coming from? Ironraven and the other people on this forum are just names on a computer screen to you. If you feel the need to fill every post with nastiness, why are you here? Also what is your fixation with people living with their parents? I won't make any suppositions since I know next to nothing about you, but you sound like a very angry or unhappy person. Do you lash out like this all the time or are you only able to do it online?

All in all though, I just find your behavior puzzling (especially since most of your comments are such non-sequiturs) and kind of distracting. Maybe you need a punching bag, or more likely a shoulder to cry on. This forum isn't it though. It's just a website where people talk about the outdoors and preparing for emergencies.

#119845 - 01/13/08 01:59 AM Re: 30% chance the U.S. will be hit with a nuke . [Re: AROTC]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Reading through this thread I think you have a point there AROTC.

I believe that if someone willfully annoys or disrespects you or gets the facts wrong, as you see it, you have every right to explain how you see it in a civil manner.

I think "Buckshot" has gone somewhat farther than that.

#122053 - 01/30/08 11:22 PM Re: 30% chance the U.S. will be hit with a nuke . [Re: samhain]
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
Well, -its like as if you spread 1,000 marbles out on a table. Imagine for a moment you are one of the marbles. Al Qaida dude reaches over to pick up a marble. You're darned right, -that you're 999 times more likely *not* to be so picked up, -than being that one that is picked up.

True, -you do have to worry Far More what "bump intos", -that the adjacent marbles next to you will do to you, -than what the AQ dude standing over your table will do. At least relative to you, -your sole, individual, self.

Yes, -they often just have to say Boo!, -and we'll fall into place with some measures of Tizzy. But in not getting beyond the proper dividing line, into such an overage, -I thott this was known as Preparedness.

But they've also been known to say more than just words, -Boo or otherwise. 7 years ago on September 11th, as well as on numerous enuff occassions before and since. They even publicly vollunteer credit for such.

So they operate on both the "Boo!", -and "Land in a Blow", -options.

Moral of the Story, -The more we Sleep!, -Fall on Back to Sleep!, -as we were on Sept 10th and before, (and increasingly anymore, later), the more we Enliken and Enable their Landing again a Blow! The more we Stay on the Ever-Alert!, -the more likely they can and will only land Words our way, -Boo or otherwise.

So Be Prepared, -with more than just standard things like stocking up on Gear. Be Prepared by exercising the requisite Awareness and all that it takes!, -to Lessen and Prevent such possibilities in the first place.

I'd rather have them reduced more into the Boo saying direction, -over the Landing a Blow sort of one.

For when or if one of em does reach over, -to pick up one of our Fellow Marbles, -Sure!, -it very well and likely won't be you.

But it would in that case be some marble, -somebody.

We very much are to run our own Lives, Business, and Affairs, -but to a certain extent, -we are also our "Fellow American's Keeper". And just maybe, -any individual "you" among us, -could be that marble so picked up. That marble then would understandably expect, -a due amount of "Keepage" from its fellow marbles.

Lets encourage and enliken their reduction to just saying Boo!

At that point, -Lets then take your advice, -and not over-react to that Boo.

But until then and throughout, -Lets not let our Preparedness Guard down as well!

For as with earlier US / Soviet MAD preps for war, -actually Dampened and Discouraged such war, -counterintuitive and ironic as that may seem. And moments of weakness on our parts conversely Enlikened and Encouraged such war, -the same now holds true with such a new adversary.

Your Advice is good up to a point. But beyond that point, -by our Softening Up and taking your advice Too Far, -Blows from this Foe increase over their just saying Boo!

I Agree with you substantially up to that Point! But I Strongly Caution against a "Guard Weakening Up" going beyond that point!

Edited by ScottRezaLogan (01/30/08 11:26 PM)
Edit Reason: Changing a Letter.

#122055 - 01/30/08 11:41 PM Re: 30% chance the U.S. will be hit with a nuke . [Re: AROTC]
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
Your Points notwithstanding, -Nuclear stuff from they or any other Foe would kill and injure far more than just 3,000 in one (actually 2) of our buildings, -or a few hundred in but a few aircraft. As you've made mention to.

They've more than a few times, -have publicly claimed to aim to get some Millions of us, -in another go.

I guess your point holds, that thats still a minority, -next to our 300 million population. But thats still Far More than the 3,000 and 300(?) that you give via example. Even you, -via your own Reasoning, -have to be at least that much more concerned over it! And hopefully at least that much more Mentally (I mean "Giving Thought to") and Materially Prepared for such possibilities, -however Near or Remote.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.