Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#119728 - 01/11/08 05:09 PM Re: Skinning knife for big game [Re: JohnnyUpton]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hmm, I've never needed a knife for any of those three tasks, but then all I've ever dressed is deer and elk. One good blow with my hatchet and the pelvis is separated, and I've always cut the cruciate ligament and snapped the joint free to separate the leg joints. It is a lot quicker and a lot less work according to the butcher. Necks take a few blows with the hatchet and maybe a little knife work to get the tendons free.

I suppose it depends on what you are taught. It sure is handy to know how to do it all with just one blade if need be. I am sure a saw will get the job done just as well.

#119755 - 01/11/08 09:19 PM Re: Skinning knife for big game [Re: Naseem]
Ron Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
You want a knife just for skinning?

If you are looking for knives to use around a deer camp where you do your skinning and breaking and do not carry the knives with you into the field, why not use the same knife they use in packing plants. I have a skinning knife and a boning knife that I use for nothing but cutting meat.

Russell is one good brand:

http://www.dexter-russell.com/PDF/meat.pdf

The Sani-Safe line are stainless, provide good grip and they are designed to be washed in very hot water. It does not hurt them a bit to wash them in a dishwasher.

If you look at their products they also make very traditional carbon steel knives with beechwood handles, if that is what trips your trigger.

I do not know who has the best deals, but if you search the web for dexter-russell knives you will find places that sell them.

I really like Victorinox-Forschner boning knives. Their Microban line has a softer grip than the Russell. Their rosewood handle knives give the best grip I know of when you are cutting pork and get a lot of grease on your hands.

If you are you are looking for a knife just to do meat processing, Russell and Forschner are two good brands. They are great meat processing knives, but they are not much good for general field work.

Also, if you go this route a butcher's steel is good to have.

#119789 - 01/12/08 03:09 AM Re: Skinning knife for big game [Re: Taurus]
MtnRescue Offline

Loc: NoVA
+1 on the Gator. One of my favorite field dressing and skinning knives. The rubber handle is a nice touch esp with wet hands.

Originally Posted By: Taurus
[img][IMG]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh19/zazabu531/deerdeath006.jpg[/img][/img]

This is my dedicated skinner. The Gerber Gator XDP (plain edge with a drop point blade). There is a version with a gut hook as well. It holds a razor sharp edge ideal for skinning and the grip is second to none (especially when the knife is bloody and wet) Also, it won't break the bank at around 50 bucks. The sheath is well designed. I use a different knife for general camp chores like chopping etc and keep this one sharp for the actual field dressing and skinning. I have friends with far more expensive blades that don't cut nearly as good. The Gerber Freeman hunter is also a good choice. If a folding skinner is more your style then check out the cold steel ultimate hunter.

#119793 - 01/12/08 03:56 AM Re: Skinning knife for big game [Re: benjammin]
JohnnyUpton Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Hmm, I've never needed a knife for any of those three tasks, but then all I've ever dressed is deer and elk. One good blow with my hatchet and the pelvis is separated, and I've always cut the cruciate ligament and snapped the joint free to separate the leg joints. It is a lot quicker and a lot less work according to the butcher. Necks take a few blows with the hatchet and maybe a little knife work to get the tendons free.

I suppose it depends on what you are taught. It sure is handy to know how to do it all with just one blade if need be. I am sure a saw will get the job done just as well.

You gut and skin game with just a hatchet?

You can do it all with a knife but I've ruined a 110 trying to crack the pevlic bone.

Personally

Hatchet for the pelvic Bone
Knife for the removing the femur
Saw for the head.
Knife for dressing

YMMV

#119863 - 01/13/08 03:06 AM Re: Skinning knife for big game [Re: JohnnyUpton]
monkeyboy Offline
Stranger

Loc: mudzoory
skinning----i use whatever is handy. a sharpened tomato can lid,...
a Mora is pretty good for the job. i've used inexpensive pocket knives when my hand gets tired of holding a fixed blade . got plenty big knives but they are
always too big for big game. funny ...
cutting up the joints is another duck all together. Japanese kitchen knives do a fantastic job of separating an animal from its parts .
buzz

Edited by monkeyboy (01/13/08 03:07 AM)

#120049 - 01/14/08 04:49 PM Re: Skinning knife for big game [Re: Ron]
Naseem Offline

Loc: Guyana, South America
Thanks Ron,

This is more like what I was looking for. A quick search on Amazon.com turned up quite a few sellers.

http://www.amazon.com/Skinning-Curved-Bl...2784&sr=1-1

Am off to find a steel now.

Nas.

#120115 - 01/14/08 09:38 PM Re: Skinning knife for big game [Re: Naseem]
Ron Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Yes, that is a very good one. That is the kind of knife people who work 8 hours a day with a knife in their hands use.

Also try Smokey Mountain Knife Works:

http://www.eknifeworks.com

They carry Forschner and lots of other neat stuff. They now have free shipping.

Another thing that is nice to have if you are doing a lot of meat cutting is a cut resistant glove like this:

http://www.galeton.com/item_detail.asp?SKU=1057

You only need one. If the knife is in the right hand, put the glove on the left. It sure keeps you from cutting a finger off with a razor sharp knife.

#120711 - 01/18/08 07:52 PM Re: Skinning knife for big game [Re: JohnnyUpton]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Naw, just for skinning, the pelvis and the neck. The rest (including gutting) is knife work, though I am sure I could manage to work the insides effectively with a hatchet if I had to.

#120762 - 01/19/08 02:53 AM Re: Skinning knife for big game [Re: benjammin]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
When going through hunter training class years ago, I remember a great video about a grandpa taking his granddaughter hunting. Grandpa looked like he was at least in his 70's. Granddaughter shot a nice deer. Grandpa used a little folding pocket knife. Probably about a 3" blade non-locking. Gutted and cleared the cavity really quick. Then showed her a really cool trick. He dislocated the front leg joints and cut the skin a little so the the bone and skin formed a "T", then he slit the skin between the rear leg bones to form a kind of button hole that the front hoofs could go through. He pulled it out enough to engage the "T" toggle and had a gutted deer backpack to pack out.

But getting back to the topic at hand, using the same little pocket knife, he skinned and quartered the deer so quickly. I was extremely impressed.

I guess my point is, knowing how and having experience is more important than the knife you use. Just ask the grandpa.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 292 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.