The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#125215 - 02/25/08 04:29 PM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: BobS]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Holy crap! That is some fine craftsmanship there!

#136375 - 06/17/08 07:00 AM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: JCWohlschlag]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Anybody have anything new to report on the Kelly Kettle or Thermette - or similar device?

Edited by dweste (06/17/08 07:01 AM)

#137202 - 06/22/08 10:08 PM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Anybody tried using the Kelly Kettle or the Permette with a camping stove?

Thanks.

Edited by dweste (06/22/08 10:08 PM)

#137215 - 06/23/08 12:45 AM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: dweste]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I just got back today from a week camping at a music festival and used the Thermette to heat the water for my showers. They charge for showers at the festival and I have everything to do my own showers.

Mostly I used it as intended with forest debris (sticks) to heat the water. It takes about 5-min to heat the water to a boil. But I also used it a few times on top of my Coleman propane stove. I noticed it took a long time to boil the water, So the second time I used the propane stove I timed it. It took 9-1/2 –min to get a boil, and it was a very mild boil as compared to when it boiled with the wood. With wood it would shoot out water like a volcano.

It’s good to have options with it and have it work with different heating methods, but I ended up going back to using wood becasuse it's faster & more fun to use.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#137238 - 06/23/08 03:10 AM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: BobS]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Good reply, thanks.

I love the idea of using found fuel but except for car or canoe camping, the things just seem too bulky and heavy. Am I missing something?

#137242 - 06/23/08 03:23 AM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: dweste]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Nope, you aren't missing anything. Other than a sherpa. smile Honestly, they aren't something I want to hump, even if I think they are extremely cool. smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#137321 - 06/23/08 06:07 PM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: ironraven]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

I guess that’s important if all you do is long-distance backpacking. But I do a lot of car camping and also in a disaster situation I can boil water a lot faster then 3 people could ever drink it. And I can do it for no fuel cost at all. To me it’s a useful item. It also allows me to use it as a wood camp stove.

#137323 - 06/23/08 06:14 PM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: BobS]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

BobS, I want to get a Thermette for my car kit, car camping, etc. They are a bit expensive but I like their performance reviews and the use of found fuel should make it "pay for itself" after many uses.

How have you dealt with packing the unit in a car, avoiding soot transfer, etc.?

Did you get the whole cook kit?

Thanks.

#137340 - 06/23/08 09:37 PM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: dweste]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

It comes with the whole cook kit, Kelly Kettle’s sell it as an extra item. This may make the price closer to each other. But I would suggest that you either make or find someone that can make an aftermarket handle for the Thermette. I would not buy one and use it without a new handle. I can’t understand why they put such a poor quality handle on it?

Also if you like things that look great and look impressive the Thermette may not be for you. It’s not an item that is made to look good, but if you want something that works great and are willing to overlook its rough look it may be for you. It is a great performing item. I would say it works very well, better then advertised. The great thing about it is that the more the wind blows, the faster it boils the water. The wind makes the chimney effect work even better. In fact when the wind wasn’t blowing hard, I pointed one of those portable fans that have soft plastic blades (bought at the dollar store for $1.00) at the opening in the base. Doing this I was able to get the boil time down to 3-min or so. Not too bad for ½ gal of water. We used it to heat water for 3-people to take showers, it worked great.

The handles are its weak point, if you can fabricate new ones it’s a great item, if not you will be disapointed in it.

As far as packing it I used the cardboard box it came in, I reinforced it with duct tape and cut part of one side out for the new handle.

But I decided last week (while camping the whole week with it) that I’m going to make a wood box for it out of 1/8 inch plywood. I have lots of wood in the garage and I’m will put a hinge and a latch on it. It rained a little every day and I want to make a box for it that can handle rain. I have a friend that owns a lumber yard and has a dip tank with Woodlife wood preservative in it (like Thompson’s Water Seal only much better) I’m going to drown the box in it for a few hours to really let the preservative soak in. then give it several coats of polyurethane.

I just took a picture of it sitting in the original box with one side cut out, here is the picture.

I will also post a picture of the wood box I make for it when I get it done.

Edited by BobS (06/23/08 11:49 PM)

#137345 - 06/23/08 10:27 PM Re: Kelly Kettles [Re: BobS]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
My emergency plans are as follows:

Plan A, drive out.
Plan B, walk out.

If I'm ready for B, and keep my tank at least half full, I've got A covered. I always assume that my infernal combustion engine has died in anything where I need to bug out.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.