Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#119171 - 01/07/08 04:04 PM Re: cell phone survival things to know [Re: Eugene]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

One thing I'd like to throw in is the benefit of using phones which have a GPS built in.

I recently purchased a new Blackberry Pearl 8130 which has a GPS built in. I live downtown and have had mixed results with getting a lock amongst all the buildings with some GPSs. Yesterday I fired up google maps (the mobile application for phones and PDAs) and it gave me the option to find my location without the GPS signal using tower information. It pin pointed me to within 300m.

Granted this requires the phone to be able to talk to a tower but if for any reason the GPS won't work (heavily wooded area? Weather? etc?) and you're within range of a tower (there are quite a few areas in Jasper which are like this), it's just another tool in the box which can help you find yourself. The other benefit with google maps is that if there is a road, cut line, etc. nearby it is likely to show in the satelite images.

#119196 - 01/07/08 05:52 PM Re: cell phone survival things to know [Re: ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A lot of phones have a fake GPS though (called aGPS which IMHO is a very bad name) so their location doesn't work without cell service.

#119217 - 01/07/08 07:20 PM Re: cell phone survival things to know [Re: xavier01]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Originally Posted By: xavier01
What rules do you need to know in order to operate your cell phone in a survival situation?

If you depend on your cell phone as a survival tool, there are only two rules -

1. Verify you are going to an area that has cell service.
2. Verify you are equipped to keep it running.

Study the results of those that didn't - i.e.

- James Kim & family
- Mt. Hood climbing team
-
-
-
-
-
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#119290 - 01/08/08 01:23 AM Re: cell phone survival things to know [Re: Eugene]
ki7he Offline

Loc: SW Idaho
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Also text messaging, as others have stated, takes less time, just a fraction of a second is all it needs and a text message wil stay queued up and send when the phone does find a signal enev if only for a brief time.

What model phone do you have? I've done a lot of testing on this with several and can't find one that will do this. With no signal, they would attempt to send and fail. I could manually try to resend the message over and over until I had a signal but they would never automatically resend when a signal came up. Cell signals here in Idaho can be very spotty so this would be very useful.

#119294 - 01/08/08 01:52 AM Re: cell phone survival things to know [Re: ki7he]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

last time I tried was with a qualcom phone. The cheap LG ones we had didn't last long enough to test it, I still need to try with the new phone, haven't been in an area without service yet.

#119298 - 01/08/08 02:17 AM Re: cell phone survival things to know [Re: xavier01]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Most Modern Phones have the antenna built into the body of the phone. Ancient phones like the Ericsson SH888 (my first phone 1998 smile ) pictured below have an external antenna.

A trick to increase the antenna gain would be to get a old coffee tin can or something similar and at the centre of the base of the tin a small hole large enough just to insert the cell phone antenna would be made. Pointing the tin and cell phone at the base (just slowly rotate through 360 degrees at the highest available point until the signal strength meter indictated the highest signal strength) would dramatically increase the cell phones range.
Its a similar technique to the long distance mesh networks being created in Africa.
Sadly though most phones do not now have external antennas.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (01/08/08 02:21 AM)

#119302 - 01/08/08 02:36 AM Re: cell phone survival things to know [Re: ponder]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: ponder
Originally Posted By: xavier01
What rules do you need to know in order to operate your cell phone in a survival situation?

If you depend on your cell phone as a survival tool, there are only two rules -

1. Verify you are going to an area that has cell service.
2. Verify you are equipped to keep it running.

Study the results of those that didn't - i.e.

This is the best and most to the point reply yet....

#119310 - 01/08/08 02:57 AM Re: cell phone survival things to know [Re: ]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
If you want your cell phone to last longer...turn off the button sounds.

You'll save much-much more if you can turn off the screen back light. I believe the phone will last longer with BT headset because the screen is completely off when you use it (though BT itself will consume some additional power).

Regarding the aGPS feature. It's useless in the forest compared to the real GPS. You will need at least 3 towers in range (such an overlapping is rarely used in rural regions) to use it and they are all near the horizon. The GPS satellites are always above you head, just find a bit more open to the sky place. However, Hacksaw is right, aGPS may beat the real GPS in urban jungles - no doubt.

Also I've heard that it is possible to improve the reception with aluminum foil reflector. Though only used the foil once to _reduce_ the signal strength in close proximity to the powerful tower in the park (it was a rare problem with strong signal interference with it's own reflections).

Edited by Alex (01/08/08 03:16 AM)

#119315 - 01/08/08 03:10 AM Re: cell phone survival things to know [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Sadly though most phones do not now have external antennas.

There is a solution for the cars:
http://www.repeaterstore.com/products/repeaterkits/wilson/40db-vehicle-801201.html
In fact it's a wireless repeater (no wire to the phone antenna required).

They have even more portable devices: http://www.repeaterstore.com/products/repeaterkits/index.html

Edited by Alex (01/08/08 03:11 AM)

#119330 - 01/08/08 11:32 AM Re: cell phone survival things to know [Re: ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Those button sounds don't take that much battery life, they are coming from the same tiny speaker as the voice. I never turn mine on though since they are just annoying.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 399 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.