The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#118759 - 01/03/08 11:22 PM Re: Holy Buckets! cheapest dried beans. [Re: Susan]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Loc: St. Paul MN
Well, don't get me wrong, but I think it has to do with the fuel economy vs the yield of fuel per unit used to make it. Corn ethanol is about as bad as it gets and the crane sugar really good...Oh and corn ethanol puts out bad air pollutants. At least that is what I hear.

Dave

#118775 - 01/04/08 12:32 AM Re: Holy Buckets! [Re: AROTC]
Lee123 Offline

Loc: NW NY
I would also point out that fertilizer prices have increased, as they are tied to natural gas prices. You might find this article interesting : tight supply

#118886 - 01/04/08 11:10 PM Re: Holy Buckets! cheapest dried beans. [Re: Art_in_FL]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Actually all other forms of transportation besides trains get large subsidies.

I think you forgot about a relativley large albatross...

Can you say "AMTRAK"? Tons and tons of Gov't money poured into it every year.

#118941 - 01/05/08 01:27 PM Re: Holy Buckets! [Re: ironraven]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
"unintended"----I'm not so sure of that!!!!

#118963 - 01/05/08 07:41 PM Re: Holy Buckets! [Re: Lee123]
SouthDakotan Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: Lee123
I would also point out that fertilizer prices have increased, as they are tied to natural gas prices. You might find this article interesting : tight supply

That's only part of it. Diesel has gotten real expensive so that makes producing and transporting any grain more expensive. And I'm sure that rising metal costs hasn't made farm machinery any cheaper. Let me tell you, farming isn't cheap. I doubt that the production of ethanol has raised prices nearly as much as the other factors I listed.

I always thought the switchgrass idea might not be too bad. The only thing I wonder about is since it has to be transported in hay bales(at least that's how I assume they want to do it) I'm curious if it would be as cost effective. That's the one nice thing about corn is that you can utilize your shipment system a little better. But, if they got that worked out, I think it would work great. Especially if you can create cellulosic ethanol out of common weeds that end up taking over fields. I mean we had an alfalfa filed that we planted go bad and the weeds just took over and the drought didn't even slow them down. I mean if they could make that work, you'd never have to plant anything. Just use the good ground for food crops and the badground for ethanol production.

#118968 - 01/05/08 08:36 PM Re: Holy Buckets! [Re: SouthDakotan]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"I always thought the switchgrass idea might not be too bad. The only thing I wonder about is since it has to be transported in hay bales(at least that's how I assume they want to do it) I'm curious if it would be as cost effective... I mean if they could make that work, you'd never have to plant anything. Just use the good ground for food crops and the badground for ethanol production."

Organic matter for ethanol production shouldn't have to be transported long distances, as local refineries could be set up, as are already working in some areas. It isn't like we have to ship bales of switchgrass to So. Calif from Michigan. Many/most of the farmers already have baling machines. They already have seed-sowing machines. They already have equipment to cut and harvest it.

Grow it there, refine it there, use it there.

Cost effectiveness needs a good look before you discard an idea.

The oil industry, as rich as it is, is probably subsidized by the taxpayers. Much of the income from it goes to invisible bank accounts in the Caymans (etc) and isn't taxed. The citizens tend to be the ones to really foot the bill for oil spills, the refineries aren't being maintained, etc, etc, etc. The real cost of production in this country tends to be a lot higher than what you think you see.

Ask any dairy farmer how much he's getting for a gallon of milk.

Ask any factory egg farmer how much a dozen eggs REALLY costs.

Sue

#119166 - 01/07/08 02:27 PM Re: Holy Buckets! [Re: Susan]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Susan
The oil industry, as rich as it is, is probably subsidized by the taxpayers. Much of the income from it goes to invisible bank accounts in the Caymans (etc) and isn't taxed. The citizens tend to be the ones to really foot the bill for oil spills, the refineries aren't being maintained, etc, etc, etc. The real cost of production in this country tends to be a lot higher than what you think you see.

Not sure I'd agree that the money is heading off-shore. As most of the oil companies are traded publicly and sooner or later need to bring the $$ into the accounting system.

The U.S. is tough on hte petroleum industry in a few ways. We make it retool and reformulate gas for various areas. You cannot sell the same gas all over.

We do not allow refineries to be built. The last refiniery built in the U.S. was built decades ago. NIMBY has become BANANA (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything).

#119169 - 01/07/08 03:41 PM Re: Holy Buckets! [Re: Susan]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm trying to find more info on biodiesel now to help make my parents farm (and someday) more sustainable for the long term. everything I find on it talks about converting from vegetable oil, so ok I have to make vegetable oil first then convert to diesel, seems like there should be a way to go straight to diesel. Then I can research which crop would grow best there.

#119172 - 01/07/08 04:12 PM Re: Holy Buckets! [Re: Eugene]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
You might find some decent information on bio-diesel, if you follow the links on this site: http://www.utterpower.com/Links.htm

#119270 - 01/07/08 11:28 PM Re: Holy Buckets! [Re: Dan_McI]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
+1 on the Utterpower site, lots of information. You might also want to try this site,

http://www.journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library.html

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.