Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#119674 - 01/11/08 04:25 AM Re: 5 Dangerous Things to do with Your Child [Re: Nicodemus]
Cjoi Offline
Stranger

Loc: N Cal
I'm enjoying this thread. I enjoy reading ETS and don't usually have much to add but this time I'll try. I have one to suggest as a possible #6. There are many caveats about this one and finding a safe time & place are paramount as it certainly qualifies as dangerous.

#6. Build a "UFO" with a dry cleaner bag, straws, tape, and nubs of birthday candles.

Edited by Cjoi (01/11/08 10:13 AM)

#119675 - 01/11/08 04:37 AM Re: 5 Dangerous Things to do with Your Child [Re: Blast]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
I did most of these things when I was a kid and managed to live. When I was 10, I stuck a ball of clay on a board and pushed a .22 shell into the ball. Then I (you know you see this coming) shot the .22 with a BB gun. There was a pop that made my ears ring and a sudden pain that left me breathless. The .22 case hit me in the middle of my chest and left a bloody, seeping, superficial flesh wound. I'm proud to say that I staggered backward, but did NOT drop the BB gun.

I think I'm going to leave that one out of my things to do with my kids (5 y.o. boy and 1 y.o. girl).

Has anyone mentioned bottle rocket fights? The nanny culture has long since made the small bottle rockets illegal in TX and probably the rest of the U.S. (they were sold by the gross pack - 12 rockets to a small pack, 12 packs to the gross). Man those bottle rocket fights were great, sometimes the whole neighborhood would be involved. Dad's (and the occasional mom with bandaids) would be out helping their kids wage war. And each side would have a 5 gallon bucket with water and a shovel to put out the occasional fire. Great, potentially dangerous, fun!

#119685 - 01/11/08 06:44 AM Re: 5 Dangerous Things to do with Your Child [Re: ]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
[/quote]

Worst thing I have is when I fell 10 feet out of a tree and impaled my thigh on a jagged piece of PVC pipe. [/quote]

I can relate, I fell into a bunch of bushes and felt lucky to have been unscathed. But I learned a huge lesson to be more careful next time when I found a branch had skewered through my pants not an inch from the family jewels. It was a lesson, I still haven't forgotten. And I didn't even get hurt.

#119691 - 01/11/08 11:03 AM Re: 5 Dangerous Things to do with Your Child [Re: aloha]
LumpyJaw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Virginia, USA
This thread reminds me of Capt. Quint, Sheriff Brodie and Hooper in the movie Jaws - below deck sharing "scar" stories.

By the way:
One stitch in thumb when I was 2 years old
Stitches in thigh
Stitches in pinky(almost lost it)
Broken collarbone (baseball injury)
Broken wrist (trampoline accident)
Broken finger (football)
Cruthes at least 7 times between ages 12 & 27

#119713 - 01/11/08 03:08 PM Re: 5 Dangerous Things to do with Your Child [Re: LumpyJaw]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
let's see:
i've got a scar on each pointer finger in almost exactly the same place. It's cool cause when I clasp my hands together the scars line up perfectly. One is from a SAK closing in me. The other is from a chainsaw blade that i broke apart and was swinging around cause I'd just read a whole stack of Ghostrider comics.

A burn scar between the thumb and pointer on my right hand from a bit of burning rope.
One on the back of my right hand where I threw a knife and it bounced and came back at me.

A round one near the cuticle on my left pointer finger. I forget what i was doing, but it involved a razer blade. It slipped and sliced a chunk of flesh almost completely off. I didnt' want my mom to freak out, so i just put it back together with scotch tape. healed fine, but to this day, that area is slightly numb.

Big old scar on the inside of the big tow on my left foot where I stepped on a bottle which broke and went right through the moccasin I was wearing. The cut was so clean I didn't even know I'd been cut until I saw that i was leaving a trail of blood behind me. That one needed stitches.

When i was REAL little i was spinning around on the coffee table at my grandparent's house. I slipped off and sliced my head open on the stone hearth. that one got me three stitches and a lollipop for being a good boy at the doctor's office.

There's a fairly new one on my right hand where I lashed myself while practicing with my bullwhip.

One little scar on my belly where i got with a Roman Candle last year. I LOVE bottle rocket wars. There's a fireworks supercenter near us and every year in July we(me, my brother and sister, and the neighbors) go and buy as many bottle rockets as we can get for twenty dollars. then we tie cardboard shields to our arms and go to war in the yard. We've got two acres and a forest, so we have plenty of room to move around. A few years ago one of the neighbors threw a string of firecrackers at me and it went off right by my head. That was the single most painful thing I've ever experienced, and I was almost completely deaf in my left ear for two days. Of course, that didn't stop me from reentering the fray after the pain subsided.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#119737 - 01/11/08 07:22 PM Re: 5 Dangerous Things to do with Your Child [Re: Blast]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Blast, why does your list not surprise me?

Sue

#119804 - 01/12/08 10:15 AM Re: 5 Dangerous Things to do with Your Child [Re: Susan]
Onedzguy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Lost in Waipahu, HI
Originally Posted By: Susan
Blast, why does your list not surprise me?

Sue

I'm surprised and disappointed. This looks like the short list.

#119827 - 01/12/08 08:05 PM Re: 5 Dangerous Things to do with Your Child [Re: Onedzguy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Well, it probably is the short list.

The really BIG stuff he left out so we all wouldn't say something like, "We knew you were dangerous to be around, but how could you have been that dumb?!"

And he probably left out all the small stuff as not being noteworthy.

grin

Sue

#119828 - 01/12/08 08:34 PM Re: 5 Dangerous Things to do with Your Child [Re: Susan]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Sue is right. blush

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#119857 - 01/13/08 02:39 AM Re: 5 Dangerous Things to do with Your Child [Re: Blast]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Originally Posted By: Blast
Sue is right. blush

-Blast

Isn't Sue always right?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.