Topic Options
#119210 - 01/07/08 06:42 PM Re: Got an ulcer? Want one? [Re: benjammin]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Alternatively, here's my Portugese Chorizo stew recipe:

Big Ben’s Chorizo Chicken Lentil Stew

This Chorizo isn’t the same as the breakfast kind and you can’t really subsitute the other without dramatically altering the outcome.

1 lb Portugese or dried Spanish Chorizo, skin removed
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, diced coarse
1 medium onion, diced
3 Tbs minced garlic
1 large can fire roasted diced tomatoes(regular diced if you can't get the fire roasted ones is fine)
1 lb lentils
3 Tbs paprika
1 Tbs ground Cumin
1 Tbs mixed dried minced herbs (thyme, sage, oregano)
2 quarts water
4 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper

In a large dutch oven over medium heat, add two Tbs of the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the chorizo and break up fine(smaller than bite sized). Add the chicken and stir until chicken and chorizo are nearly done. Add the rest of the olive oil, the onion and the garlic. Stir until onion is clear. Add remaining ingredients and reduce heat to simmer. Cook covered for two hours, or until thickened well.

#119211 - 01/07/08 06:46 PM Re: Got an ulcer? Want one? [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Benjammin,

Oh great, now I have to explain to my boss why he caught me licking the computer screen. frown

However, Saturday morning breakfasts at the Blast household will never be the same.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#119213 - 01/07/08 06:51 PM Re: Got an ulcer? Want one? [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

That there first recipe's plenty authentic Texas food too. It's an original from out somewhere south of Midland/Odessa. Y'all enjoy that one.

The other is one of my personal creations from my time in Jersey here a couple years ago.

#119233 - 01/07/08 08:25 PM Re: Got an ulcer? Want one? [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

*whimper* I'm so hungry right now...

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#119275 - 01/08/08 12:20 AM Re: Got an ulcer? Want one? [Re: Blast]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Blast
So, anyone read a good western lately? I recently finished "Lonesome Dove" and thought it was pretty lame. It seemed like the author just wanted to see how many wacky characters he could come up with rather than actually write an engrossing book. I can't believe how much attention the book received!

Or we could talk about soup.

-Blast

Blast - Last I looked this isn't your site and your not a moderator. You have no right to decide what "we" are going to do or not do. Your legitimate options are to participate and/or comment in a thread or not. Hijacking a thread isn't a sound or civil option. It is insulting and rude. It may, in fact, be a violation of the TOS in and of itself.

IMO a post was made and I answered in a civil and respectful manner. The legitimacy of the initial post remains to be determined and isn't my call. If the site owner or designated moderator objects he/she can do as they please in line with what, if any, violation or contribution a poster has made. I don't think my post crossed any line and, worse case, I'm old enough not to fear being barred if it came to that.

Unless and until you are revealed as a moderator or owner/operator I will thank you to abide by the simple rules of civil discourse and not hijack any thread I am participating in.

#119297 - 01/08/08 02:06 AM Re: Got an ulcer? Want one? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

Blast - Last I looked this isn't your site and your not a moderator. You have no right to decide what "we" are going to do or not do. Your legitimate options are to participate and/or comment in a thread or not. Hijacking a thread isn't a sound or civil option. It is insulting and rude. It may, in fact, be a violation of the TOS in and of itself.

IMO a post was made and I answered in a civil and respectful manner. The legitimacy of the initial post remains to be determined and isn't my call. If the site owner or designated moderator objects he/she can do as they please in line with what, if any, violation or contribution a poster has made. I don't think my post crossed any line and, worse case, I'm old enough not to fear being barred if it came to that.

Unless and until you are revealed as a moderator or owner/operator I will thank you to abide by the simple rules of civil discourse and not hijack any thread I am participating in.

I asked that you attempt to legitimize part of your post. He'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I don;t think Blast was attempting to hijack...rather, he was "steering" the thread. Additionally, civil discourse could become impossible if willy-nilly political and social opinions are belched out as "fact"....with reckless disregard for facts.

Edited by Stretch (01/08/08 02:13 AM)

#119305 - 01/08/08 02:38 AM Re: Got an ulcer? Want one? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

According to the rules of this board, political dicussions are to be avoided. Politics leads disagreement, disagreement leads to anger, anger leads to chaos. Chaos leads nowhere.

No I'm not a moderator. I'm a guy who has watched this site grow from a small town to a big city over the last five years. This growth brings new blood and new ideas. It also bring a greater chance to burn down, usually with politics lighting the match.

There are plenty of sight for people to spout politics. This is not one of them and by golly I'll try my damnest to steer threads away from hot topics into something at least useful to this site. As further defense of my actions let me quote the moderator Martin Foczio in this thread:
Quote:
If this forum were my old pickup truck, I'd be pulling over right now because things are running a little "hot"....

Has anyone seen that new movie with Steve Carell? I did. It's actually a chick-flick, so take heed, if needed.

-Blast, who does know the rules.

#119343 - 01/08/08 01:51 PM Re: Got an ulcer? Want one? [Re: NightHiker]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Basque Chorizo is one of several Spanish varieties that work in a number of different dishes. I've yet to find a Chorizo I didn't like.

Now as for Billy boy and his ridiculous presidency, I'd say most of his economic windfalls were inherited more from the Reagan era than of his own making. Of course, his foreign policy is really what has us in the mess we've been in since his senseless meddling in Kosovo and Somalia. His legacy is right up there with the longevity of Homer Simpson. I guess the whole world needed a good laugh at our expense for 8 years. He shoulda stuck to playing the sax. Had it not been for all the criminal mischief his domestic partner has gotten away with, they would not be sitting in the lap of luxury they enjoy now. Of course, she is the biggest sellout after being such a devout feminist and then letting him do what he did.

Nope, Bill's biggest saving grace is that he was too simple-minded to understand how all the politico-economic mess boils out. Thank God too.

#119442 - 01/09/08 02:28 AM Re: Got an ulcer? Want one? [Re: benjammin]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Sorry, folks, I just thought it was an interesting article, and more easily understood than many of the type.

Although I can't quite figure why people would think that political decisions don't affect our survival.

Sue

#119447 - 01/09/08 02:50 AM Re: Got an ulcer? Want one? [Re: Susan]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
They do..... they even affect our recipes ((( laugh )))

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.