Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#212946 - 12/13/10 03:37 PM Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit [Re: jasond]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Has anyone who has used the Swiss Ranger Volcano Stove also used a Kelly Kettle/Ghillie Kettle/Bengahzi Boiler/Thermette?

I'm wondering how the volcano stove and a Kelly Kettle type stove compare.

HJ

#212993 - 12/14/10 04:15 AM Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
A Buddy & I did a comparison of the 2 a few yrs ago.He had a 2-Liter Kelly Kettle,& I the Volcano.His was Whistling when Mine was just starting to bubble at about 3 minutes,Both of us were using 1/2 liter of water,with Oak tree trash for fire in mine,& Pellets for his.About 2 minutes later mine,Was on a Rolling Boil.I paid $20 bucks for 2 Volcano stoves-(New) His cost was around $140-(New)! I still have Mine,His got Stolen,Along with his Duluth Pack,& All his Patagonia clothing/Wiggy Gear in Yosemite,2 yrs ago!

#213033 - 12/14/10 08:34 PM Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit [Re: jasond]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I was kind of wondering if the Kelly Kettle type might be faster. The design seems like it would create such a good chimney effect, and having the heat go all the way up the length of the water vessel seems more efficient. I'm sorry your friend's got stolen though.

The price differential seems kinda steep. Are there any decent Kelly Kettle type stoves out there for a reasonable price? I wonder what makes them so expensive and the Swiss volcano stoves so cheap?

HJ

#213047 - 12/14/10 10:51 PM Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit [Re: jasond]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The ones from Ben's Backwoods are a lot cheaper.

#213060 - 12/15/10 12:22 AM Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit [Re: Phaedrus]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
The ones from Ben's Backwoods are a lot cheaper.
Defintely cheaper. Pretty danged heavy though. A pound and a half for a 0.5 L kettle is quite a bit. Intriguing device though...

HJ

#213080 - 12/15/10 06:47 AM Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit [Re: jasond]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It's not for the ultralight set, that's true. I've never seen one but I've been intrigued with them for awhile. It looks like a fast & efficient means of boiling water. The weight is not inconsiderable but if it serves as both stove and vessel it might be worth it.

#213097 - 12/15/10 05:40 PM Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit [Re: Phaedrus]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
It's not for the ultralight set, that's true. I've never seen one but I've been intrigued with them for awhile. It looks like a fast & efficient means of boiling water. The weight is not inconsiderable but if it serves as both stove and vessel it might be worth it.
Not that I'm exactly an ultralighter, but for day hikes I have put together a small but complete kit that weighs about 10 ounces including 2 oz of alcohol fuel. It's nice for soup or hot chocolate on a cold day.

Here are the contents:
1. Snow Peak 750 ml titanium pot
2. 2 fl oz capacity flip top squeeze bottle of alcohol
3. Bic lighter (standard size)
4. Swedish "fold-a-cup"
5. Titanium windscreen
6. Medicine measuring cup (for measuring out the alcohol)
7. Home-made pop can alcohol stove

As I say, the total weight is about 10oz, which is pretty light for a fairly complete set that includes everything except the water and whatever you're going to mix into the water. Well, I guess you could include a spoon for stirring, but a lot of the time I'll just roll up the package after I've emptied out the contents and use that for stirring.

HJ

#213121 - 12/16/10 01:28 AM Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit [Re: jasond]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think the purpose of the Kelly Kettle would be longer term use where you'd use wood and natural fuels & tinder vs carrying alcohol. I agree it's a little heavy but it might be nice as a base camp item, or in situations where every ounce didn't have to be watched.

#213125 - 12/16/10 02:07 AM Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit [Re: jasond]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I have two Kelly Kettles (aluminum and stainless) and a Thermette and must confess that I haven't used any of them. And a couple weeks ago I got the new stainless steel cook kit and base that goes with the KK.

Perhaps I could brave the cold for a time trial in the next week to see which one boils faster.

#213128 - 12/16/10 02:24 AM Re: Volcano Stove Swiss Ranger Kit [Re: Dagny]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I would love to see the results of your testing.

If it seems like you have one too many volcano stoves, I might be able to take it off your hands!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.