The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#118934 - 01/05/08 08:13 AM Re: Compass Not Carried in Pockets! [Re: Eugene]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
IMHO, all of these electronic compasses in the wrist watches are not good for navigation simply because the sensor used in them have something like 50 positions, i.o.w. its like ~7 deg. precision. You can tell where the North is, but I doubt it's good for any serious navigation by azimuth bearing in the field. Also take a closer look at those "cool" bezels on them. Marks every 30 deg.? laugh Almost any analog compass is better.

#118943 - 01/05/08 01:53 PM Re: Compass Not Carried in Pockets! [Re: Alex]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
The cool bezel on mine broke off years ago...

#118945 - 01/05/08 02:03 PM Re: Compass Not Carried in Pockets! [Re: MarshAviator]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Quote:
Avoid single point of failure to multiple systems;
Single item,i.e. cell phone fails,now commo fails,compass fails gps fails etc.

Agree.

Redundancy, Redundancy, Redundancy.

Small button compasses (on key chain, in pocket, etc) and a flat navigation compass in the glove box of car, and in the car's BOB wouldn't hurt.

I got a little LED light/compass combo for my wife, child, and aunt to put on their key chains for stocking stuffers this year(now to go get one for myself now that I've taken care of my loved ones).

#118956 - 01/05/08 05:27 PM Re: Compass Not Carried in Pockets! [Re: Alex]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Alex
IMHO, all of these electronic compasses in the wrist watches are not good for navigation simply because the sensor used in them have something like 50 positions, i.o.w. its like ~7 deg. precision. You can tell where the North is, but I doubt it's good for any serious navigation by azimuth bearing in the field. Also take a closer look at those "cool" bezels on them. Marks every 30 deg.? laugh Almost any analog compass is better.

My Highgear gives direction in degrees, not with marks around the bezel.

#118962 - 01/05/08 07:19 PM Re: Compass Not Carried in Pockets! [Re: duckbill]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
The way I see it, you either need a good compass, or you don't need a compass much at all. If you need a compass, you'd be wanting to triangulate your position on maps, site bearings, etc. You won't be doing that with a cellphone program, or even with a button compass. I think putting all your eggs in one basket with a cellphone, or ANY electronic device, to save pocket space is terribly foolish.

I can see a button compass useful in some situations, none of which generally apply to my routine hiking areas (in the mountains). If you were in deep woods (flat land), or maybe in a desert it would be nice to not go in circles and a semi-accurate button compass may assist in that. In the mountains your heading is determined more by the terrain you can navigate than by a specific bearing.

Personally, I always carry a good, fullsize compass and topo maps. Every hike finds me triangulating my positions, identifying landmarks using a sited bearing and the maps, etc. Not because I need this for navigation usually, more just to keep my skills tuned up for when an emergency may mandate pre-mastery of these skills.

#118966 - 01/05/08 08:28 PM Re: Compass Not Carried in Pockets! [Re: haertig]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
haertig is dead nuts square on target!

A compass is a powerful tool, but its power only comes when you can use the compass to relate your position to a know landmark - or two. For that you either need a really good map of the area or a GPS with saved key waypoints - or preferably both.

A compass without a baseplate straight-edge is really really tough to work with in conjunction with a map.

The compass is not the place to save weight. Bring a decent baseplate compass (I much prefer one with adjustable declination), a good map of the area (USGS topo map in the US), and, hopefully, even a very simple GPS w/ extra batteries. Save key waypoints often and know how to convert coordinates on a map to a waypoint on a GPS (see http://wwww.maptools.com ).

I'd actually put the good map ahead of the compass in terms of utiliy. Many outdoors folks will tell you that they primarily travel using a map alone, but certainly at times need to use their compass to confirm their location or direction of travel.

I flew out to Charlotte, NC during the last few days and brought along a copy of the book "The Essential Wilderness Navigator: How to Find Your Way in the Great Outdoors, Second Edition" by David Seidman and Paul Cleveland. Its the second time I've read through it and I have to say I'm pretty darn impressed. Its one of the few books on the topic that explains BOTH how to use compasses with adjusted magnetic declination AND how to use compasses that are not adjustable for declination. I think its now my favorite book on the topic.

Ken K.

#118977 - 01/05/08 10:25 PM Re: Compass Not Carried in Pockets! [Re: KenK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Even in deserts, you rarely need a compass, because you are surrounded by obvious landmarks, at least in the continental US. You will need a compass for navigation when your visibility is restricted (fog, typically) and if you are at sea. I can count on one hand the times I have seriously used a compass in the mountains, and both times we were in the clouds.

But if you are going to carry a compass, carry one that is marked in at least two degree increments and that has a sighting (signal) mirror. Plenty are around that weigh maybe an ounce. Very easy to carry. If you use it much, you will want it on a neck lanyard., and not in your pockets.

#118991 - 01/06/08 12:14 AM Re: Compass Not Carried in Pockets! [Re: hikermor]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I wouldn't trust to landmarks for any forested area. Around here people get lost in the woods all the time...usually the ones who don't have a compass or GPS. You can walk a LONG time and never see power lines, cut line, trail, road, etc in Alberta. If you're disoriented it's even worse. I've heard of people getting lost within a km of their truck or ATV and wandering for hours going in circles.

At least with a button compass you'll keep walking in the same direction.

#118992 - 01/06/08 12:35 AM Re: Compass Not Carried in Pockets! [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I agree with you Dave about a compass being mandatory in thick forested areas, it has saved me from a night in the bush many times. I often use the sun as a direction indicator when I am just cruising around during the day but when darkness is closing in and I need to get to where I am going, I flip out the Silva Ranger to get the job done.

Mike

#118993 - 01/06/08 12:44 AM Re: Compass Not Carried in Pockets! [Re: SwampDonkey]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
So many survival situations start with someone getting lost. Going small cheap with your compass is a bad move IMO. YMMV, but you're probably wrong.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ren, Jeanette_Isabelle), 447 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.