The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#118867 - 01/04/08 08:44 PM Re: Compass Not Carried in Pockets! [Re: duckbill]
north_of_north Offline
Stranger

Loc: Gunflint Trail, Minnesota, USA
Simplicity and its loyal companion reliability beat unnecessary complexity any time.

Why depend on something that needs battery power, functioning electronics, a signal, and possibly a subscription merely to act as a compass. Besides that, how much space does a key chain style compass actually consume? The small size and weight of this type of compass also promote having a backup system.

From my experience, Sun makes good small compasses, as does Tru-Nord.

Here's a useful test to perform: Submerge in water for a couple of minutes the Marble compass and the appropriately setup cell phone and then report back which one works better as a compass. Works is the operative word.

#118869 - 01/04/08 09:00 PM Re: Compass Not Carried in Pockets! [Re: MoBOB]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MoBOB

Take one of the teeny-tiny button compasses [...]

I'm not enthusiast about putting so much faith in a single device. particularly when it is a device that is dependent on batteries and one that is relatively delicate. Count on a cell phone for communications, timekeeping and compass and you lose the who;e shooting match if the cell phone falls into a mud puddle.

My preference is a small, and very durable, button compass. The best of them have survived being swallowed and retrieved at the other end. A testimate to durability but otherwise a pretty useless bit of information unless you anticipate a prison camp and strip search in your future.

The real deal: http://www.bestglide.com/FB1605_Info.html

It is pricy at $36 but as long as you don't lose it one should last a lifetime.

Very good: http://www.bestglide.com/marbles_brass_compass.html

Perfectly usable and almost as tough for less than half the price.

A bit larger:http://www.bestglide.com/brunton_compass.html

Dirt cheap but rugged enough and small enough to stuff into any kit or hide until needed in a jacket pocket. A selection of small workhorse compasses for cheap.

#118870 - 01/04/08 09:27 PM Re: Compass Not Carried in Pockets! [Re: duckbill]
bmo Offline

What's in your pockets now? Is it a matter of pocket organization, weight or is it the sheer number of items that has you reassessing your EDC?

I have a TAD Lifecapsule that I carry to keeps things tidy, waterproof, crushproof and it could serve a number of other purposes.

One end of the capsule unscrews to reveal a button compass (it can hold one of those excellent NATO compasses Art_In_FL was linking to) in a small compartment and the opposite end has a compartment that can hold quite a bit (matches & tinder, or sparklight & tinder-quik, water purification tablets, emergency money, etc.). A short paracord lanyard in a snakeknot configuration (only the length of the capsule itself) with a Photon on the end completes a nice little bit of kit.

#118871 - 01/04/08 09:41 PM Re: Compass Not Carried in Pockets! [Re: Virginia_Mark]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

try here I have it. It only has time, date and compass. If you look at the picture the top button is compass, the middle button (if you push it) is a light and you pull it to change date and time. Then the bottom button is compass again. If you push the compass button the compass is on for about 20 seconds. The only thing I dont like about it si if you have the compass and the light on the back light blinks. Over all I love the compass, a great choice of watchbands and pretty cheap.

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#118885 - 01/04/08 11:06 PM Re: Compass Not Carried in Pockets! [Re: climberslacker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Both of my trekking poles have button compasses on the wrist strap. I also have a Suunto mini compass/thermometer zipper pull on my lanyard. Then I have my regular compass. THEN I usually stash a magnet compass around somewhere (a little oblong neodymium magnet which will always point north/south on a flat surface).

And all that is generally backup for my GPS (both my Garmin and the one in my blackberry).

Sure it's redundant but until button compasses weigh 3 lbs a piece, I'm just fine with so much overkill.

#118891 - 01/05/08 12:04 AM Re: Compass Not Carried in Pockets! [Re: duckbill]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My Casio Triplesensor watch give me a compass, and more...

#118899 - 01/05/08 01:18 AM Re: Compass Not Carried in Pockets! [Re: duckbill]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: duckbill

As another possibility I was also exploring watches that have compass's. But I was having a hard time locating one that might look good for a night on the town. I would rather not have one that looked like a calculator watch if you catch my drift.

For example the Timex Titanium E-compass Watch looked pretty decent (I thought).

Any ideas? Thanks

If you're looking for a nice watch with a pretty good compass check out the Tissot T-Touch. I'm so impressed with that watch I now own two. smile

#118900 - 01/05/08 01:36 AM Re: Compass Not Carried in Pockets! [Re: Paul810]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I have the a Highgear watch. It's a bit big but has all the same features for a fraction of the price of a Suunto or the Tissot.

#118904 - 01/05/08 02:21 AM Re: Compass Not Carried in Pockets! [Re: ]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Where do you live? If you wear a jacket regularly, you could get a button compass zipper pull. I have a cheap one on one of my jackets thats lasted for about two years and is almost completely unnoticeable to carry.

#118911 - 01/05/08 02:47 AM Re: Compass Not Carried in Pockets! [Re: AROTC]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I carry a small key wallet in another pocket separate from my normal wallet. It looks like a normal wallet but when you open it it has a row of clips to hand keys on and keeps them all laying flat and compact and quiet. It has a small zipper change pocket and in there I keep a couple quarters and a p38 and a watchband compass. So thats kind of my psk and the compass is about the size of a nickel and was encased in a rubber coating that had a slot to slide a watch band through. I don't wear a watch but thats an option as well. I just peeled the rubber off the outside and slid the little compass into the change pocket. I bought it for like $5 from a store called Galyans which is now Dicks sporting goods and its been in that little pocket for years rubbing against a couple quarters and the p38 and still works fine. I pulled it out and it matched my new GPS. Its actually outlasted the key wallet because I've replaced the wallet once.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 252 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.