Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#118500 - 01/02/08 05:13 AM Thermos for winter survival?
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Last night I had a brain wave.

I was thinking about winter survival (and winter hiking) and was thinking about the problem of water. Getting water is as simple as finding snow and melting it with a stove or fire...easy. Keeping it in a drinkable liquid form can be tricky. I decided that the next time I go out I would suck up the extra weight and bring a Thermos bottle. When I melt snow I also boil it unless I'm worried about running out of fuel. I can put the boiled water into the thermos and drink hot water until my next meal stop or until it's empty. Even if it's not warm, it shouldn't freeze for many hours.

This got me to thinking about taking this idea to the next level. If I'm going to stop for lunch and boil water to drink, why not use this time to prepare extra food? I could boil both servings out of my favorite freeze dried meal pouch (since almost all of these come in 2 serving quantities). I'd eat one for lunch and put the other into a 500mL Thermos canister. I could then carry the canister (inside my jacket if needs be) and when I get to my destination I can eat without having to bust out the stove. I thought this would be a fantastic idea up here where the days are so short that by dinner time it's nearly pitch black outside. This would allow me more time to gather wood, set up a fire and the put up my shelter. I could start a fire instead and melt snow using that instead...since I'd already eaten there would be no rush to get the fire to the cooking stage...any ol' fire would do fine. I could even get to bed early (assuming I didn't need any more water) without ever having to dig out the stove OR light a fire and get an early start the next morning.

Have any of you tried this? It seems so obvious I have no idea why I've never done it before.

#118509 - 01/02/08 08:34 AM Re: Thermos for winter survival? [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
This is pretty much how the Canadian Army has done it for years and there are issued thermos which are the same size and shape as the water canteen so it will fit in the TAC vest. These only have narrow openings and are great for soups etc. As a general rule remember that nothing will stay hot for very long unless it goes in very hot. Preheating makes the contents last a considerable amount longer but Stews and foods with less liquid content lose their heat very fast even in the best thermos. Normal temp water still may freeze if left out in the Alberta cold overnight in a thermos (had it happen to me in Wainwright) but if heated enough before it goes in it will remain drinkable for quite some time. Anything with a Glass liner would end up broken very fast.

#118520 - 01/02/08 01:15 PM Re: Thermos for winter survival? [Re: ]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Thermoses are commonly carried by backcountry skiers and mountaineers to keep warm liquids handy without having to break out the stove and pot.
Yes a thermos would be a good winter item.
Bill

#118529 - 01/02/08 02:08 PM Re: Thermos for winter survival? [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I wonder if you could melt snow/boil water IN a stainless thermos? Fill it up and just sit it on the stove???

#118530 - 01/02/08 02:16 PM Re: Thermos for winter survival? [Re: ]
bmo Offline

Smart. If you are not doing it already (and I'm sure you are), run very hot water over the outside and fill the inside of the thermos with same to warm the cannister itself. This should prevent the cool metal from wicking a few degrees of heat away from the liquid you plan on ultimately fill the thermos with.

#118535 - 01/02/08 02:29 PM Re: Thermos for winter survival? [Re: bmo]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Loc: St. Paul MN
I like the Stanley models. You know the heavy metal ones that construction worker use.

Dave

#118544 - 01/02/08 03:17 PM Re: Thermos for winter survival? [Re: ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Hacksaw,

Thermos flasks are a great idea during winter hikes. Best to get a wide necked one though as they can be used for soups etc. The only problem is the larger stainless thermos flasks tend to be a bit heavy.

I now use a Lifeventure Thermal Mug 330ml. It weighs just over 300 grams. The Thermal Mug will keep its contents, usually Scotch Broth, nice and warm for about 6 hrs during winter day hikes. A Thermos will be slightly more efficient in retaining heat though, at around 8 hrs.
A neoprene water bottle cosy can keep water suprising warm for a few hours as well and helps prevent water from freezing during the night. A neoprene cover helps turn a the water bottle into a cosy hot water bottle by adding a bit of heat in the sleeping bag.

Edit - Actual weights are 0.5L Thermos - 323 grams = 1.54 Litres/Kg
Lifeventure Thermal Mug 0.33L - 292 grams = 1.13 Litres/Kg

The 0.5L Thermos is more efficient.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (01/02/08 03:38 PM)

#118547 - 01/02/08 03:34 PM Re: Thermos for winter survival? [Re: ]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
I bought two Thermos Nissan vacuum bottles. They are more expensive but really work. I put one with boiled water in the freezer overnight and when I open it it was still steaming.

Frankie

#118549 - 01/02/08 03:38 PM Re: Thermos for winter survival? [Re: Frankie]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Loc: St. Paul MN
This is what I was talking about: http://www.stanley-pmi.com/shop/product_detail.aspx?ProductID=5 It will keep hot coffee hot all day in -0 weather.

Dave

#118566 - 01/02/08 04:50 PM Re: Thermos for winter survival? [Re: Microage97]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
I've found the wide neck of food flasks makes them a lot less efficient than flasks for liquid, the stopper isn't a vacuum insulation. You could liquidise your food and use a liquids flask.
The Sock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.