Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#117825 - 12/28/07 03:44 PM Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers [Re: picard120]
ChristinaRodriguez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
Originally Posted By: picard120

how do you guys defend yourself against wolfs?

Simple: NOT going jogging on a trail clearly posted with signs that warn of wolves.

All those women, and not one brain between them to stop and think, "Hmmm, I'm living in Alaska. I know by the signs that wolves have attacked humans and dogs on this trail fairly recently. I'm armed only with pepperspray. Hmmm, maybe we should just go to Curves, instead."

Once again, a little situational awareness would've prevented this whole thing.

#117898 - 12/29/07 12:52 AM Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Christina
Originally Posted By: picard120

how do you guys defend yourself against wolfs?

Simple: NOT going jogging on a trail clearly posted with signs that warn of wolves.

...snip...

.357 Mag or a .44 Mag will work too - jog and don't worry
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#117955 - 12/29/07 06:33 AM Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers [Re: KG2V]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Here's a text article: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420ap_ak_bold_wolves.html

Dogs are easy prey, esp when the owners stake them out on chains like bait. They get a few schnauzers, poodles and labs, and they figure dogs as an easy source of dinner. Hey, they're training them to eat dogs, then whining when they do. And this is the wolves fault???

Alaska, even outside Anchorage is WILDERNESS, Stupid! Why didn't these women from a (probably fenced) military base just stay on the base? Why blame the wolves for giving out Darwin Awards?

Also up in that area, they've been crossing wolves with domestic dogs (mostly Malamutes, I think) for sled dogs. The local Wolf Haven people say when you do that, you produce wolf hybrids who don't fear people, but they maintain their wolflike instincts. Does this sound like a good idea to you?

Natural Selection.... it's the LAW.

Sue

#117973 - 12/29/07 01:33 PM Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers [Re: KG2V]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
The .44 I used to own, and the only .357 I still have (which is just as big as the .44) would beat me to death if I tried to run with it! Not to mention making me run in a circle from the extra weight on one side...

#118324 - 01/01/08 04:37 AM Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers [Re: Susan]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Susan - "Why blame the wolves for giving out Darwin Awards?"

Excellent turn of phrase.

Do you mind if I use that?

IMHO if we are to have wilderness we have to have wild animals. Animals that need predators present if they are to stay healthy long-term.

Humans can't, or won't, do the job. Evidenced by the simple fact hat hunters don't brag about how old, sick, emaciated and scraggly the animal they shot was. Hunters tend to try to shoot exactly the animals that should be living the longest and reproducing the most. The largest, biggest, healthiest animals they can draw a bead on.

Part of going into a wilderness area is not being perfectly safe. Living on their terms. Taking some risk because it is one of the few areas still out there where every facet hasn't been made to cater hand and foot to humans. If you are careless or foolish there is a good chance the wilderness will call you on it. I would prefer that the wilderness stay wild.

I realize I would see it differently if I, or a friend or relative, was the one getting lunched but at some level I think that joggers feeling the raw fear of being eaten is a good and healthy thing. Humans too easily fall into pride. Assuming we are the be all and end all of all things. Much healthier to realize that the universe does not care. That we are just another in a long string of animals that have dominated this sphere for a time. That if we don't play our cards right, or simply find ourselves unlucky, we could find ourselves on the menu. Possibly even 'as dead as the dodo'.

The FAA studied the last transmissions from airplane crashes. They noted that one of the most common noises made by the pilots, just prior to the obligatory 'OH SHI...', followed by deafening silence, was whistling. Optimistic, carefree, self-confident, self-assured whistling. The epitome of pride before the fall.

In survival if you find yourself feeling entirely confident and carefree, and/or whistling, you know your overlooking something. Fear is healthy. Wilderness, with large animals which could potentially see us as food, or a toy, helps keep us on our toes. A good thing.

Humans need something out there handing out 'Darwin awards'.

#118408 - 01/01/08 09:00 PM Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
I didn't see the video..
Anyone knows if they were blonde ??
Could be an explanation ...

grin grin grin

Edited by frenchy (01/01/08 09:01 PM)

#118409 - 01/01/08 09:20 PM Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers [Re: KG2V]
red Offline

Quote:
Yeah - I've actually gotten to see an Alpha wolf up close and personal, and NOT in a cage

Yep, I have video from 2 years ago of one at my car 10 feet away. I'm sure he was just a regular sized wolf, but he sure seemed big in comparison with my car.

Some old timers shooting photos with me said that was a "once in a lifetime". One of them thought it was going to raise a leg and mark my Subaru.

I think that the possibility of wildlife attacking is something that we talk about alot on this forum, but how many of us really have an idea of the difficulty of surviving after the attack? As far as I can tell, most who survive are with others who scare/fight of the attacking animal and go for help/apply first aid. Survival becomes much more delicate with a mauling thrown in. My favorite account was Hugh Glass' incredible survival after a grizzly mauling, but I imagine he didn't want to go through that again for all the money in the world.

Something for me to think about as I used to go solo quite often.

#118410 - 01/01/08 09:26 PM Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers [Re: frenchy]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
The sniveling, helpless, overwhelmed blond just about made me sick. sick

Others have already said it but... if you want to live in town; live in town & if you want to spend time in wild places then you should be prepared to deal with whatever you may encounter there.

#118454 - 01/02/08 01:10 AM Re: pack of wolfs attack female joggers [Re: frenchy]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: frenchy
I didn't see the video..
Anyone knows if they were blonde ??
Could be an explanation ...

grin grin grin

No, they were brunettes. grin

#118498 - 01/02/08 04:42 AM Re: pack of wolfs DID NOT attack female joggers [Re: Russ]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
Agreed, it was Buddy the snack food they wanted. In pulling the dog around by the leash they were showing the wolves they were willing to fight over the "food", when meeting wildlife don't pick a fight with it-leave the food and take care of yourself.

Mace, a Large gun, and possibly a road flare, for intimidation.

They should've had more sense.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 263 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.