Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#118443 - 01/01/08 11:29 PM Re: My Personal Survival Kit - What Else Do I Need ? [Re: LED]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

That's a large amount of stuff to be carrying around.

#118473 - 01/02/08 02:28 AM Re: My Personal Survival Kit - What Else Do I Need ? [Re: RobertRogers]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
I think you are bringing way too many knives. Try to keep it simple. Shelter, water, warmth, some food.

Your clothing seems adequate.

I would bring more dehydrated foods, and more water instead or all these knives. smile

#118475 - 01/02/08 02:30 AM Re: My Personal Survival Kit - What Else Do I Need ? [Re: Jeff]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Wow, lot of duplication. If you were in a support vehicle (van, pick up, etc) for a bunch of guys on bikes, it would be ok, but on a bike you don't have a lot of space. The image I'm getting in my head is that this a pretty decent pile of gear.

Pick one (1) saw, one (1) fixed blade- there is nothing that one of them does that the other doesn't do just as well, is there? Dump the cheap folder, they generally aren't worth it. Ditto the tube tent, you've got garbage bags and a tarp.

Better line than just paracord. Don't get me wrong, it is good stuff, but it really isn't all that strong- some 1" nylon webbing would be a good addition.

FAK- what is in it?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#118484 - 01/02/08 03:02 AM Re: My Personal Survival Kit - What Else Do I Need ? [Re: Jeff]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
FWIW, Jeff, it seems to me that your worst-case scenario would be a bad spill with injuries. Broken arm or hand, dislocated shoulder, badly scraped up leg. Maybe a mild concussion, even while wearing a good helmet.

Since you'd be on your own for at least 8 hours, possibly with very limited mobility, that would become a genuine survival situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that your gear list assumes you will be generally able-bodied.

Perhaps you should consider what you'd need if the worst happened? If you were hurt, groggy, could only crawl, what would you need?

(Hope this never happens, but it doesn't hurt to think it through.)

#118560 - 01/02/08 04:25 PM Re: My Personal Survival Kit - What Else Do I Need [Re: Jeff]
bmo Offline

How about substituting some Gerber milk bags for some of those those Ziplocs? Very durable (and sterile) container for water storage.

Also, a SAM splint would be just the thing if you were injured in an accident and had to move. Maybe some WaterJel/BurnJel or 2nd Skin Burn Pads for abrasions/road rash if you dumped your bike. Just thinking a basic FAK and Motrin may leave something to be desired in a road accident (serious or not). For the activity and circumstances you have described it is not just about the wilderness survival, but surviving a potential accident (or breakdown). Your kit really needs multiple components: 1) breakdown, 2) accident/first aid, and 3) surviving afterward in the Michigan forest 600 to 1000 foot elevation. I think you have no. 3 covered. If you are not mechanically inclined maybe no. 1 is not a priority. You already have a multi tool and duct tape, and a few zip ties to secure a hose and a wrench could come in handy even if you cannot rebuild an engine. I just don't see a lot of preparation for no. 2.

You mention that weight is not a consideration and everything is in a backpack, but I have to believe that the farther you may have to hike or move the more of an issue it may become (and even more so if you are injured in an accident). Accordingly, I would agree with some of the calls to limit the redundancy (Although I understand exactly where you are coming from). Maybe a smaller pack within the pack? (There I go, talking about limiting the redundancy and then encouraging redundancy as a solution) grin

Edited by bmo (01/02/08 04:27 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.