Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#118446 - 01/02/08 12:34 AM Survival on the road.
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I'm sure everyone has read about the drunk vs family in a mini-van in Ohio. For those that haven't see here...

http://www.nbc24.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=80019

Scenarios like this are a nightmare and I do NOT want to MMQB this family. I can't imagine what they are going through.

I would like to think that there would be something that I could do different to improve the outcome were I ever to face a similar situation. I honestly don't think there is much that could have been done differently.

None of us is ON 100% of the time when we're driving. We all take our eyes off the road for a moment from time to time especially with six kids on-board so let's just assume that the dad saw the other driver coming and attempted to dodge the oncoming car. It appears from the footage I watched that, other than slowing down or stopping, the mini-van had no where to go due to guardrails.

While I don't think any normal vehicle would have spared them all I can't help but wonder if the number of survivors would be different if the family had been something other than a GM mid/mini-van. See this if your not familiar with GM mini-vans...

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=66

Is there anything the ETS family can think of that I/we could do differently to improve our own families odds???

My wife and I will be keeping the Griffin/Burkman family in our prayers.

#118451 - 01/02/08 01:03 AM Re: Survival on the road. [Re: 7point82]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

The brand of vehicle is not the blame here. The focus of the blame needs be directed entirely on the drunk driver...

NY Times has a pic of the MVA aftermath and it is clear that any brand of minivan would of suffered a similar fate.

#118455 - 01/02/08 01:15 AM Re: Survival on the road. [Re: ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
There isn't much that's going to go head-on with an F-350 and win.

It happened on a ramp? How much room do you have to maneuver? Not much.

It would be interesting if someone from the area would keep us posted on the results of this. I would suspect that this wasn't the killer's first time drunk in a vehicle.

Even if you were totally focused on your driving, surroundings, weather, road conditions, and watching ahead, when someone comes at you at a high rate of speed, about all you can do is try to get out of the way. And if there's no place to go...

The sad thing is that the killer will probably spend minimal time in jail, despite the fact that this is worse than having a couple of joints in your pocket or having consensual sex with a teenager.

He'll be out there soon, aiming for someone else. Him and quite a few more like him. This is America... it's an entitlement, isn't it?

Sue

#118460 - 01/02/08 01:58 AM Re: Survival on the road. [Re: ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"The police said that several people tried to alert them about the driver of the pickup truck"

I've tried to report drunk or dangerous drivers only to annoy the dispatcher who took my call. Last time I called on someone we drove right past a state highway patrol car and I told the dispatcher the car number and blew my horn when I went past and the patrol car never moved.

I didn't comment on the drug thread that has been going on for a few days but this shows why drugs are still illegal, even the legal drugs like alcohol and nicotine take too many lives, imagine how many more would be lost if other drugs were made legal and people would 'just a little bit, I'm not impaired' justify to themselves before driving like they do now with the legal drugs.

People laugh at me because I don't drink beer or wine, but if I ever did since I don't have any tolerance built up for it I would be impaired at well below than the legal limit. The social drinkers who only hit the bar for a couple drinks every now and then after a hard day at work are very dangerous because they don't have the tolerance built up either so they get impaired at less than the legal limit.

Wife read the comments on one of the stories, the guy in the f350 had previous DUI's and was friends with the bar owners so he wasn't stopped, and will only server 40 years for taking five lives, IMHO it should be at least 40 for each or take the average lifespan minus the age they each were and add those up to make his sentence.

#118464 - 01/02/08 02:02 AM Re: Survival on the road. [Re: ]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Sherpadog
The brand of vehicle is not the blame here. The focus of the blame needs be directed entirely on the drunk driver...

NY Times has a pic of the MVA aftermath and it is clear that any brand of minivan would of suffered a similar fate.

I wasn't attempting to "blame" the Astro but I wondering out loud if a more robust vehicle would have changed the numbers any. One more of my children surviving would be worth the world to me. I can't imagine a production vehicle that would have spared the entire family.

And we agree... the drunk driver is to blame.

One of the reasons I (very hesitantly) started this thread is that we commonly talk about how to survive natural disasters, bird flu and mall shootings but we rarely discuss things as common as MVAs.

#118465 - 01/02/08 02:05 AM Re: Survival on the road. [Re: 7point82]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: 7point82

While I don't think any normal vehicle would have spared them all I can't help but wonder if the number of survivors would be different if the family had been something other than a GM mid/mini-van. See this if your not familiar with GM mini-vans...

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=66

Is there anything the ETS family can think of that I/we could do differently to improve our own families odds???

Crash ratings are based on weight class. A smaller van like that is in a different weight class than an F350, so even if it had a perfect crash test rating it wouldn't have mattered much. The heavier vehicle is the one that usually wins, especially if it's significantly heavier (like in this case). This is why I won't ever use anything smaller than a large car as my daily driver, and usually I stick to larger SUVs. You can call me a gas guzzler or whatever you want, but when it comes to my safety and my families safety I frankly don't care what you call me. smile

With that said, the best way, in my opinion, to avoid serious accidents is to take classes in defensive/performance driving. The experience you gain in difficult driving situations can help you keep your cool in a driving emergency and possibly avoid an accident. I think every teen should go to one of these courses. Drivers ed only teaches you how to drive in normal to good conditions, it doesn't teach you what to do when things go wrong.

#118466 - 01/02/08 02:06 AM Re: Survival on the road. [Re: Susan]
marduk Offline

Loc: Mid-Missouri
Some accidents aren't survivable, despite seat belts and air bags. You can tip the odds in your favor with mass, that's why we pay the price (in purchase price and gas) and my wife drives a Suburban as the "Mom taxi". We know several people who were the sole survivors or significantly less injured than others in the same MVA by being belted in their Suburban. It may socially and enviromentally irresponsible in the grand scheme, but it's what I can reasonably do to prospectivly protect my family.

Edited by marduk (01/02/08 02:57 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling correction

#118468 - 01/02/08 02:13 AM Re: Survival on the road. [Re: marduk]
sodak Offline
Addict

It's smart planning to drive that Suburban, not irresponsible at all, IMHO.

#118469 - 01/02/08 02:17 AM Re: Survival on the road. [Re: marduk]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: marduk
Some accidents aren't survivable, despite seat belts and air bags. You can tip the odds in your favor with mass, that's why we pay the price (in purchase price and gas) and my wife drives a Suburban as the "Mom taxi". We know several people who were the sole survivors or significantly less injured than others in the same MVA by being belted in their Suburban. It may socially and enviromentally irresponsible in the grand scheme, butt it's what I can reasonably do to prospectivly protect my family.

Look at the governor Jon Corzine of NJ. Hit a guardrail at over 90mph in a Suburban and still survived. Not only that, he wasn't even wearing his seatbelt. Sure, he was lucky, but I'm sure being in a Suburban made a huge difference.

#118481 - 01/02/08 02:56 AM Re: Survival on the road. [Re: Eugene]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"... imagine how many more would be lost if other drugs were made legal..."

Not necessarily, I suspect. All the people who want to use drugs are using them now. What legalization might do is reduce the push for newer members of the club. If legalization took the profit out of it, would the current pushers still be pushing?

Kids today have been trained to be good consumers, of both good and bad merchandise. Parents think they can overcome peer pressure... well, dream on! Parents rarely even see their kids these days, their influence is rather minimal.

And the killer of that family won't serve any 40 years, that's for certain! The charge is Aggravated Vehicular Homicide. Why not call it what it was: MURDER. He killed them as surely as he would have, had he put bullets into a gun and shot each of them in the head.

I read in the main rag in Las Vegas that the average male murderer served something like five years; the average female murderer served eight. He'll probably be out on the road again before Blast's girls are old enough to vote, with a bottle of cheap whiskey in his hand and his foot welded to the throttle.

Sue

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.