Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#118387 - 01/01/08 05:20 PM Re: My Personal Survival Kit - What Else Do I Need ? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

i would take a lot more food..you will be hungry a lot faster
than you will need a knife..and just not power bars but soup,
cans of beans--fruit..Spam..

I tried some dried apricots from Walmart the other day. They were pretty damn good. So were the dried cherries. The expiration date was something like 2009 or whatever (if unopened and stored properly, I'm sure).

I would take some of those on a trip. If you don't need em, they'll still make for a great snack.

#118389 - 01/01/08 05:44 PM Re: My Personal Survival Kit - What Else Do I Need [Re: Russ]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Like Jim said, its a nice kit, but its not a personal kit.

Lately I've come to really appreciate the philosophy of Peter Kummerfeldt of http://www.outdoorsafe.com . His take is that you carry a VERY small basic kit with you at ALL times, tell someone you trust where you're going and when you plan to return, and dress to survive a night or are stuck in bad weather. You're surviving, not homesteading.

All the other gear is great, but it is icing.

You need to take some of the basic bits from you rkit and put them in a bag of some kind that will be with you at ALL times. These bits should include:

>Minimal shelter - I'm leaning toward the 55 gallon trash bags and maybe a mylar emergency sheet
>Fire-starting capability (lighter, sparker, petroleum-soaked cotton balls)
>Loud whistle w/ lanyard or wrist loop
>Good signal mirror w/ lanyard or wrist loop
>Small headlamp w/ extra batteries, preferably lithium
>Sturdy knife
>very basic personal first aid kit

The idea is that you this most basic gear in a tiny bag or in your pocket so you can get yourself through the night or through short-term bad weather.

Consider a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB).

Ken K.

#118391 - 01/01/08 06:08 PM Re: My Personal Survival Kit - What Else Do I Need [Re: Jeff]
onetim Offline
Stranger

I would think a SPOT (~PLB) might be perfect for road trips in remote areas. If your bike breaks down in a remote area outside of cell coverage the "not an emergency but I need help" button would be perfect. Then you would need an overnight kit (sleeping bag, bivy sack, water, food, and firestarter)to weather a storm or spend a night until help arrives.

#118392 - 01/01/08 06:09 PM Re: My Personal Survival Kit - What Else Do I Need ? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

IMHO ... too many sharps, replace with food. I don't see any repair tools, wrenches, spark plugs, etc. Add sunscreen, spare glasses.

Given that weight is not an issue, I'd go with a 3l camelback hydration pack or similar.

Under communication -- Leave a trip plan, consider family radios.

If you are talking Winter, add pocket heat packs, a sleeping bag and pad, possibly a camping stove for quick hot food. <A white out storm could leave you 40 miles out overnight>

Teacher

#118396 - 01/01/08 06:30 PM Re: My Personal Survival Kit - What Else Do I Need ? [Re: teacher]
Jeff Offline

Originally Posted By: teacher
IMHO ... too many sharps, replace with food. I don't see any repair tools, wrenches, spark plugs, etc. Add sunscreen, spare glasses.

Given that weight is not an issue, I'd go with a 3l camelback hydration pack or similar.

Under communication -- Leave a trip plan, consider family radios.

If you are talking Winter, add pocket heat packs, a sleeping bag and pad, possibly a camping stove for quick hot food. <A white out storm could leave you 40 miles out overnight>

Teacher

Thanks. I didn't specify that I do carry tools and plugs for the bike.
I do leave a detailed plan with my wife. I leave her with a duplicate map with a line drawn on it of my exact route.
I don't ride in wintery weather.
My vision doesn't require glasses.

All of the things people are suggesting are great. I am making a list of all of the advice and will create a plan to implement them.

Jeff

#118399 - 01/01/08 06:32 PM Re: My Personal Survival Kit - What Else Do I Need [Re: KenK]
Jeff Offline

Originally Posted By: KenK

(Jeff abbreviated this quote)
Lately I've come to really appreciate the philosophy of Peter Kummerfeldt of http://www.outdoorsafe.com . ............

Consider a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB).

Ken K.

I agree. I have his video and his book. I had sent him this list and he also suggested the PLB.

Thanks.

Jeff

#118401 - 01/01/08 06:38 PM Re: My Personal Survival Kit - What Else Do I Need ? [Re: Jeff]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Jeff
My Personal Survival Kit - What Else Do I Need ?

Just like many already said, you really don't need that much redundancy. Keep it light and small, you do might actually have to carry it. The bigger the kit, the more likely it will be left behind.

The best way to find out what you need and don't need is very simple; test it! Any kit, should be portable(or at least have a part which is portable). Walk at least 15 miles with your kit and before you know it, you are tossing stuff out. Start practising with your equipment and practise your skills. Experience, knowledge, skills and will power, is far better and importent than having a reduncant piece of equipment.

and one thing, i spotted on the list: the lack of a stove of proper cooking equipment. If you going to carry that much, you might as well toss in a small stove and some light cookwear aswell.

Edited by PC2K (01/01/08 06:47 PM)

#118402 - 01/01/08 06:57 PM Re: My Personal Survival Kit - What Else Do I Need ? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Interesting kit. A few questions and ideas:

- going solo?

- what's the risk of a debilitating injury?

- how long before rescue would be initiated?

- how good is cell-phone coverage (any first-hand information)?

- add some heavy-duty painkillers?

- add some sturdy leather gloves?

- suitable boots, broken in, should you need to walk any distance?

- bigger cup (one pint/half litre minimum) or a two-quart stainless pot?

- maybe dump the tube tent and add a 3/4 length closed-cell sleeping pad? a light sleeping bag instead of bivvy sacks?

#118403 - 01/01/08 07:07 PM Re: My Personal Survival Kit - What Else Do I Need ? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Jeff Offline

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Interesting kit. A few questions and ideas:

- going solo?

- what's the risk of a debilitating injury?

- how long before rescue would be initiated?

- how good is cell-phone coverage (any first-hand information)?

- add some heavy-duty painkillers?

- add some sturdy leather gloves?

- suitable boots, broken in, should you need to walk any distance?

- bigger cup (one pint/half litre minimum) or a two-quart stainless pot?

- maybe dump the tube tent and add a 3/4 length closed-cell sleeping pad? a light sleeping bag instead of bivvy sacks?

Yes, solo.
There is a high risk of debilitating injury
Max 6 hours before resuce would be initiated because my wife has specific instructions on how and when to do so.
Cell phone coverage is limited to nonexistant where I ride.
I carry hiking shoes in my pack since walking in riding boots would be tough.
I agree with you and others. the tube tent isn't needed if I have the bivy and the tarp.
Thanks.

Jeff

#118404 - 01/01/08 08:15 PM Re: My Personal Survival Kit - What Else Do I Need ? [Re: Jeff]
LED Offline
Veteran

Maybe add a few 6-8" zipties. Good for quick gear repair, tarp rigging, shelther buiding, etc.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.