Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#117994 - 12/29/07 05:16 PM Re: I have all this gear and I still NEED more!! [Re: Blast]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Eeewwwww!

#118011 - 12/29/07 07:28 PM Re: I have all this gear and I still NEED more!! [Re: samhain]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Is there a way to explain this addition to friends/family? I'd be curious to see what you guys tell your people when they see that you own 20+ different knives that basically all... cut.

#118013 - 12/29/07 07:31 PM Re: I have all this gear and I still NEED more!! [Re: samhain]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: samhain
Eeewwwww!

16 and 0 my friend. grin (fingers crossed, knock on wood)

#118027 - 12/29/07 09:30 PM Re: I have all this gear and I still NEED more!! [Re: picard120]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I saw what Blast's kitty did, and I don't want it.....

#118037 - 12/29/07 10:06 PM Re: I have all this gear and I still NEED more!! [Re: SARbound]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: SARbound
Is there a way to explain this addition to friends/family? I'd be curious to see what you guys tell your people when they see that you own 20+ different knives that basically all... cut.

i never carry more than five at a time and i don't keep all of mine in the same place. not so intimidating that way. laugh

#118068 - 12/30/07 12:11 AM Re: I have all this gear and I still NEED more!! [Re: Blitz]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...who would by you the FJ cruiser in 2012?..."

Heck, I'll probably be dead by 2012...

#118071 - 12/30/07 12:37 AM Re: I have all this gear and I still NEED more!! [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Spiritwalker Offline

I can relate OBG. Seems like just when I got to the point where I have gotten everything basically together (still tweaking and swapping some items) to survive long term, I don't really have long-term left in me.

#118128 - 12/30/07 07:58 AM Re: I have all this gear and I still NEED more!! [Re: Spiritwalker]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

This is a classic problem with 'prepers'.

Often a result of a failure to define and make concrete the situation, plans and/or goals.

Leave any or all of those open ended and your setting yourself up to be always needing more and still always coming up short.

Reason is that if you define your needs and desires as prepared for 'anything' and the required duration as 'forever' you are sliding down a hole. Using that definition if you go to buy even something simple how much do you buy? With duration defined as from 'now to the end of time', there are always the kids and grand kids to think about, you could never have 'enough'.

Most people have at least something in every category but I have seen people who have huge amounts of money invested and they still have gaping holes in their kit. Guns and knives are pretty commonly waaay over invested. Lots of guns and knives aren't necessarily a bad thing. Not as long as you have something approximating equal depth across the line.

Your not going to get by effectively overly prepared in one area and light, or completely unprepared, in another. Survival is a package deal. Like a chain your limited by the weakest link.

I recommend people start small and work their way up. Start simple. Limited goals and objectives. A three day kit is a good start. Cover all of your bases for three days given a set situation. Aspirin to toilet paper. Leave no need unprepared for.

Once a three day kit is mastered multiply it to cover longer periods of time. Start to cover slightly more unusual and extreme situations. Go as far as you wish and stop when you feel satisfied. But always work to a plan and known scenario and toward known, well defined and limited goals.

When you reach a goal stop to savor the feeling. Celebrate. And stop buying. At least until you work out another complete plan and list of required supplies and materials. Never buy items piecemeal. Only buy as part of a plan working toward a known and well defined goal.

That's the ideal and IMHO the way to go. I don't too often reach this ideal in all particulars. It just isn't in the nature of humanity to do so very often. But that doesn't mean that I don't get close and, of course, I keep trying as time, disposition and resources allow.

Over time my ideal time horizon has shrunk. Age, experience, confidence that I can adapt and persevere, and some understanding that in the end survival is both not enough and always a temporary reprieve has mellowed my approach and allowed me to relax a bit more.

#118162 - 12/30/07 07:33 PM Re: I have all this gear and I still NEED more!! [Re: Art_in_FL]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've found the same, as I've sat down and wrote a disaster plan document I can't justify much more new gear because I really have everything that I can think of covered.

#118186 - 12/30/07 11:55 PM Re: I have all this gear and I still NEED more!! [Re: Eugene]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Gear "collecting" isn't that bad. If you're like my father and I and start collecting cars and heavy equipment.....then it gets bad, fast. whistle

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.