Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#116998 - 12/21/07 09:49 PM Re: Reconsidering size of the survival kit [Re: Crowe]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

and----at some point your kit turns into the EDC..
and--not feeling too safe with just a EDC, your pockets
turn into a "kit"..which is lumpy so you put the stuff
in a pouch..which gets left on the dresser to many times
so parts of the kit get emptyed into the catch-all in the dresser
where the keys and coins go..and after a few years of
not needing anything but keys and a wallet everything
gets left behind untill you read about the guy trapped
in his car--office--bathroom--so you make up a new EDC.
which turns into a kit......

#116999 - 12/21/07 09:50 PM Re: Reconsidering size of the survival kit [Re: teacher]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: teacher
I like the idea of a belt pouch -- waterproof -- like these:

$30 fold over pouch similar -- just a pic

or this waterproof box

That pack is pretty cool.

#117031 - 12/22/07 12:55 AM Re: Reconsidering size of the survival kit [Re: Omega]
handyman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts
How much weight is too much ? It seems to me that if you were wearing just swim shorts and sandals a small belt pack/pouch and a canteen wouldn't be too much to carry .
IMO it would be worth a little discomfort to carry a few extra things [ especially water and purifiers ] in a potentially very dangerous place like the Amazon jungle.
I personaly would NEVER go hiking anywear unless I was wearing some decent hiking boots/shoes no matter how hot it was . IMO wearing sandals was just asking for trouble .

#117036 - 12/22/07 01:27 AM Re: Reconsidering size of the survival kit [Re: handyman]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
That raises the question of where he was wearing just swim trunks and sandals, around the safety of the jungle lodge or in the jungle itself? Wilderness or swimming pool?

#117052 - 12/22/07 02:00 AM Re: Reconsidering size of the survival kit [Re: Omega]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
My thoughts...

My first one is you need pants (or shorts, if you insist) with pockets and a belt. No offense.

But as far as something on the neck... Why the SwissChamp? Is it becuase you had it around, or do you like the tool combo? It is a good sized SAK, maybe a smaller one like the Huntsman might do the trick, maybe with a small pair of hemostats to replace the very light pliers in the SwissChamp. Combo that with a small capsule, something bigger than a pill vial but maybe not something as pricey as the TAD Life Capsule. (Short cigar tube with a wire-and-tape loop on it?) Sparklite, a couple of tinder tabs, a needle, a couple hooks, a compass and bobbin of specta line or kevlar thread. You carry that WITH a PSK, so if you strip down for some reason you've still got most of you basics covered.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#117063 - 12/22/07 02:16 AM Re: Reconsidering size of the survival kit [Re: Russ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...in the jungle itself?..."

My jungle experience is limited to Panama, but in those jungles, no shirt would equal being eaten alive by bugs, plus lotsa cuts and scratches. Shorts/swim trunks are bad too, same reason...

#117080 - 12/22/07 02:38 AM Re: Reconsidering size of the survival kit [Re: OldBaldGuy]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
A victim of 50's and 60's movies about the jungles of south and central america. I was so looking forward to my first time in the rainforests of central america. My excitement it lasted about 10 minutes. Never again will I voluntarily enter a jungle, I hate bugs!!!!!

#117081 - 12/22/07 02:46 AM Re: Reconsidering size of the survival kit [Re: raydarkhorse]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Never again will I voluntarily enter a jungle..."

Me either. Chances are, my Uncle Sammy won't make me do it again...

#117082 - 12/22/07 02:47 AM Re: Reconsidering size of the survival kit [Re: ironraven]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: ironraven
My thoughts... Combo that with a small capsule, something bigger than a pill vial but maybe not something as pricey as the TAD Life Capsule. (Short cigar tube with a wire-and-tape loop on it?) Sparklite, a couple of tinder tabs, a needle, a couple hooks, a compass and bobbin of specta line or kevlar thread. You carry that WITH a PSK, so if you strip down for some reason you've still got most of you basics covered.

The future of PSK cases?

http://www.brasscompass.com/cigarsingleflask3.jpg

#117083 - 12/22/07 02:49 AM Re: Reconsidering size of the survival kit [Re: OldBaldGuy]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
there are advantages to getting old and fat.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 506 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.