Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 14 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#94779 - 05/16/07 05:39 AM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: Themalemutekid]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
You have one of the greatest Survival/Primitive Schools in the US right in New Jersey, one that I would recommend wholeheartedly. It's Tom Brown Jr's Tracker School.

Thus far I've only been able to take the Standard Class, but I will be taking many more courses there as time goes on and as finances allow. It's a pricey endeavor, but without a doubt the best money I've ever spent in my life. I learned more in that week than I had over many years with a multitude of other resources. The tracking portion of the course alone was enough to blow my mind.

I look at the world in a completely different way now, not only with tracking in mind but with many of the other things I learned there as well.

One of the biggest reasons for this camping trip is that several of us who had gone to Tracker School previously couldn't work out going this year and will have to settle on practicing the skills we learned while there, on our own, and until such a time as we can get back. We're also going to throw a couple of new skills into the mix to see how we do.

You should also look for other Survival/Primitive Skills groups in your area. I've gone to and hooked up with a number of groups in my region, and have taken classes with them as well. If you find one of these groups, you'll meet people there that will love going on these types of trips!

#94833 - 05/16/07 07:30 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: Nicodemus]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Thanx for the info.I've heard of them before & as soon as i get some time off work i'm gonna take a class or two.It's really hard for me to meet like-minded people around here.Maybe i should post a wanted ad on craigslist asking to meet a survival buddy...lol smile

#94961 - 05/17/07 08:48 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: Themalemutekid]
kharrell Offline
Typical Survival Victim

I just completed reading:

http://www.amazon.com/Wilderness-Medicine-Beyond-First-Aid/dp/076270490X

I feel I will be beter prepared in the event I need to perform some of the medical task that I may encounter.

#94980 - 05/18/07 01:24 AM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: wildman800]
REDDOG79 Offline

Loc: ENGLEWOOD ,TN
I got a new cell phone the Casio G'zOne. It is supposed to be Mil spec, water resistant, shock resistant and dustproof. Seems pretty rugged. But if it can be broken i will probably accomplish it. Got some more paracord from countycomm one of their ferrocerium rods (I think it is a swedish firesteel) a micro and regular widgy pry bars, some 1$ lights, 2 fox 40 whistles, and some peanut lighters.

#95060 - 05/19/07 01:29 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: kharrell]
Shamus62 Offline
stranger

Bought a fuel spigot and (2) five gallon gas cans from http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com/index.htm, added (6) 12 oz. cans SPAM, 100 rounds of .40 S&W to my stash and worked a deal with my Dad to buy his older Garmin eTrex Legend (with other goodies) for $80. Was a good week I think.

#95106 - 05/20/07 06:20 AM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: Shamus62]
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Increased my dog food stockpile.

Bona Na Croin

#95113 - 05/20/07 02:03 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
This might be kinda goofy sounding, but thanks to my current "job," I am (slowly) learning how to operate a Case backhoe/skiploader. Not sure exactly how that might figure into survival use, possibly digging one of those underground shelters we talk/hear about from time to time, or maybe digging someone/something out of the rubble of an earthquake/whatever. Who knows...

#95121 - 05/20/07 08:32 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: wildman800]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Added matches and a 9-hr candle to my car's emergency supplies. Added 2 more 9-hr candles to my 72hr bag. Ate some Vienna sausages out of my 72hr bag (blech! Hence the removal).

#95128 - 05/20/07 11:55 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Learning a new skill is always a good thing.You'll never know if you'll be the only guy around that has a skill that will save the day, so to speak.

#95522 - 05/24/07 10:41 PM Re: What I've done this week/month for Readiness [Re: buckeye]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio

Passed my FCC technician test last weekend and received my Amateur License grant. Will start volunteering with the local ARES group.

Signed up for local CERT training.

Buckeye
KD8GIJ

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

Page 7 of 14 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Ren), 394 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.