Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#117748 - 12/28/07 01:58 AM Re: WINTER: Trunk foods? [Re: yeti]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Right now I've got granola bars, ramen, peanut butter and graham crackers for solid food; tea bag, sugar packets, lemon packets and instant cocoa to add to water. I always have a pair of quart bottles in my pack, which goes in and out of the car with me most places.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#117750 - 12/28/07 01:59 AM Re: WINTER: Trunk foods? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

It freezes solid here, I keep 40-granola bars, power gel, and a means to boil water because there is always plenty of that item here in these mountains, no need to carry it.

#117753 - 12/28/07 02:08 AM Re: WINTER: Trunk foods? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
OBG
That is why I use the Trangia. More heat, less stink. smile

#117758 - 12/28/07 02:34 AM Re: WINTER: Trunk foods? [Re: big_al]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Yup. Or a simple soda can stove with Heat fuel. Whatever works. And Sterno doesn't...

#117762 - 12/28/07 04:05 AM Re: WINTER: Trunk foods? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

At one time I packed a supply of commercial survival food and water commonly used for reserves in life rafts. I have bought Mainstay bars, 3600 calories each, and the long-term foil packed water pouches previously and they last a long time and are entirely acceptable.

Problem is they are pretty expensive for what your getting. The expense is reasonable for a stash that is inaccessible or unlikely to get looked at every few months but for a 'trunk' supply, really it rides behind the seat in the truck,

I have found a supply of 'energy', 'sports' or 'breakfast' bars, and a store-brand eight-pack of bottled water, I like the half-liter bottles, to be an acceptable alternative. Even after over a year of unprotected storage in the Florida heat neither of these items have degraded enough IMHO to worry about. I also use portions of both so there is some turnover.

I have a stuff-sack of replacement and warm clothes, many of them poly fleece so they are still warm if they get soaked, rain suits and a small pack.

Also at least one tarp, ropes and lines, flares, quite a few flashlights and a load of tools, including a Pulaski, machete and shovel, and various assorted materials in the cross-bed tool box.

Florida is settled territory. It would be pretty hard to find a spot where you couldn't choose a random direction and walk out in a day or two by just walking a straight line. Given I have maps, compass and a pretty good idea of the lay of the land I suspect, assuming I was ambulatory, it wouldn't take that long.

I figure I have a good four day supply for one and carry more as I take passengers. Of course, as long as everyone is relatively healthy, any good supply can be stretched to twice as long. So four days for one would be acceptable as four days starvation ration for two. I also carry a water filter and know quite a few of the edible plants common to the area so there is some chance of picking something up along the way.

Of course most all of Floria is in cell phone service and I have a spare battery, a charger that will work off of the truck battery and a hand-crank cell charger if that fails.

If that falls through my thought is that if I was seriously injured I would set a fire along any of the logging roads that grid the forest every quarter mile or so. If the truck won't drive the spare tire, fuel, glycol and foam rubber in the seats become fodder for a large sooty-smoky fire. As long as I have at least one good arm and can crawl I have confidence I could get it going without having to resort expend the energy to chop brush.

I figure that if I was spending my time in the remote areas of the amazon basin I would carry more food and water and less equipment intended to keep the cell phone working. For semi-rural Florida I think I have it pretty well covered but am perfectly willing to listen to any criticism or suggestions. There is always room for improvement.

#117781 - 12/28/07 07:51 AM Re: WINTER: Trunk foods? [Re: big_al]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I have a quart of H2O that hasn't frozen yet in my trunk, in the store bottle. It's kind of wedged between my FAK and jacket in the trunk, with temps in the low teens (and the last week essentially below freezing). If you're really worried, remember that alcohol and salts lower the freezing point. So... either a gin and tonic, or a bottle of gatorade, would probably freeze after a bottle of water.

As for food: 2 3600-cal Mainstay bars, a few power bars, 1 bar of Hershey chocolate, a few small boxes of raisons, some of the Jambalaya "instant" packages, a few foil packets of tuna and spam, and a Esbit stove with 6 tablets. Also have 2 empty quart canteens, 1 of those has a steel/tin? cup with it. Figure I have enough food for a week if I ration well, and a week with 2 people if I REALLY ration well.

#117843 - 12/28/07 07:05 PM Re: WINTER: Trunk foods? [Re: ]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
I like dry roasted unsalted Soy Nuts for survival storage foods, and for water, I use these 1 liter Canteens.

Each of the front seats of my car, have mesh storage pockets on the backs. Canteens ride in each one, and even if they do freeze, I have yet to have one of these rupture.

#119555 - 01/10/08 02:40 AM Re: WINTER: Trunk foods? [Re: Shadow_oo00]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
I'm in similar climate and while I used to carry bottled water, a weeklong hard freeze a couple of years ago taught me not to do that. Plus, when I needed it, it would have to be melted in-bottle. I waited for some to thaw, but the bottles were never sealable again...they were always fairly open. Anone else have this experience?

#119572 - 01/10/08 11:40 AM Re: WINTER: Trunk foods? [Re: yeti]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Once in a while our temps dip to 15 then factor in the wind chill, I carry bottled water in a soft sided cooler and have never had it freeze.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#119628 - 01/10/08 09:26 PM Re: WINTER: Trunk foods? [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

A few days ago a friend revealed that he carried a large jar of peanut butter and a tin of soda crackers. Claims it has gotten out of a lot of tight spots.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 441 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.