Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#117476 - 12/25/07 09:38 PM Who has the Brunton Firestorm lighter?
CDVXF7 Offline

How do you like it? Is the body aluminum? I heard the caps are plastic. http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=6

#117505 - 12/26/07 01:35 AM Re: Who has the Brunton Firestorm lighter? [Re: CDVXF7]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
At $60 each, not 'til I win the Lotto (gotta actually go buy a ticket one of these days)...

#117660 - 12/27/07 11:48 AM Re: Who has the Brunton Firestorm lighter? [Re: CDVXF7]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I have it and cap is plastic for sure and so is the clip. Body also feels plastic (unless they use some kind of metalic alloy that feels like plastic). It is a big lighter and feels cheap (doesn't have a weight to it). I'm sort of disapointed since I was expecting something much better: heavy duty, milled out of allu or steel. It has its selling points thou such as being totaly waterproof (come to think of it that's the only selling point). When you screw in the top everything is sealed and no water can get in there. But at the same time because top cap is screwed in this lighter is not a good edc lighter. Well let me rephrase it: if you use a lighter often it is a pain to open it up everytime you want to have a smoke. On the other hand if you just use a lighter every now and than it is a good tool. Personally I wouldn't use a clip and either carry it in my pocket or on the lanyard. Since cap is big it is easy to unscrew even with cold or gloved hands. Also ignition button is nice and big. Only time will show how it will hold up. No major crazy trips until the spring but for sure this lighter has a place during my kayaking outings.

Edited when I got home:
Clip feels plastic and to touch there is no difference between the plastic body and the feel in the clip. But I just couldn't believe that Bruton would be that dump. I took my knife and scraped a clip a bit and it is some kind of metal. Still very flimsy and weak but metal.

Edited by Polak187 (12/28/07 03:08 AM)

#117701 - 12/27/07 07:15 PM Re: Who has the Brunton Firestorm lighter? [Re: Polak187]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

I don't have one and don't know how well it works, but the removable cap is a decent idea for a survival lighter. I have a Windmill and the thing you don't think about until you try to use it is that the (attached) cap gets in the way.

Now, if they would just make it from aluminum or something like Matt suggested, that would be nice. Certainly the pictures imply it...

-john

#117703 - 12/27/07 07:27 PM Re: Who has the Brunton Firestorm lighter? [Re: Polak187]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Polak187
I have it and cap is plastic for sure and so is the clip. Body also feels plastic (unless they use some kind of metalic alloy that feels like plastic). It is a big lighter and feels cheap (doesn't have a weight to it). I'm sort of disapointed since I was expecting something much better: heavy duty, milled out of allu or steel. It has its selling points thou such as being totaly waterproof (come to think of it that's the only selling point). When you screw in the top everything is sealed and no water can get in there. But at the same time because top cap is screwed in this lighter is not a good edc lighter. Well let me rephrase it: if you use a lighter often it is a pain to open it up everytime you want to have a smoke. On the other hand if you just use a lighter every now and than it is a good tool. Personally I wouldn't use a clip and either carry it in my pocket or on the lanyard. Since cap is big it is easy to unscrew even with cold or gloved hands. Also ignition button is nice and big. Only time will show how it will hold up. No major crazy trips until the spring but for sure this lighter has a place during my kayaking outings.

If anyone is interested: You can do the same thing by taking a U.S Army G.I. matchcase (yes, the plastic one) and putting a mini-Clipper lighter in it.
I am sorry to have to report that the much loved Bic will go in, but it's impossible to extract without pliers.

#117775 - 12/28/07 06:07 AM Re: Who has the Brunton Firestorm lighter? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
CDVXF7 Offline

Doug described it as aluminum in his blog, but that may have been a prototype. I really like the design, but for $40-50 it should be all aluminum. I saw a few bad reviews on some of the on line retailers. Yeah the Army match case gave me the idea for a K & M Matchcases case with a Knife Kits clip added. Filled with a tried and true combo of matches, tinder, ferro rod. But then again I really just liked the idea of a beefy torch type lighter.

Attachments
Black4004704.JPG

clip.jpg

Edited by CDVXF7 (12/28/07 06:15 AM)
Edit Reason: Spelling,content.

#117777 - 12/28/07 06:13 AM Re: Who has the Brunton Firestorm lighter? [Re: CDVXF7]
CDVXF7 Offline

Oh wait then theres this one: http://www.blazerproducts.com/lighters/venture.html
$20.00

The original torch lighter they made was popular in the late 80's. I had one of their GB-2001 micro torches for a long time and started many campfires & fireworks with it.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.