Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#117559 - 12/26/07 02:17 PM International GPS tracking question
onetim Offline
Stranger

First post from a long time lurker...

A colleague's daughter is traveling to India and he asked me about GPS tracking devices. I described PLBs as last resort cries for help, looked at SPOT's website and saw no coverage in India, and browsed some cell phone tracking websites. The cell phone tracking sites I found appear to only work in USA.

Can anybody recommend what a person should carry when traveling to India for emergency communication?

We're thinking she should buy an international GPS enabled cell phone when she gets to India.

Is a GPS cell phone good enough?

Any inexpensive GPS tracking devices worth carrying?

Thanks.

Tim

#117571 - 12/26/07 03:40 PM Re: International GPS tracking question [Re: onetim]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Welcome to the fire, newguy! I can't help you with the GPS/cell phone stuff but I might have a few other tips for international travel.
1. Let the American consulate know she will be there. At the bottom of that page is a link to registar online with the US consulate in India.

2. Get all her immunizations.

3. Always keep Imodium AD or other anti-diarreha medicine on hand.

4. Keep an upbeat, cheerful attitude.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#117579 - 12/26/07 04:39 PM Re: International GPS tracking question [Re: onetim]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: onetim
… looked at SPOT's website and saw no coverage in India…

As far as I know, the lack of coverage in India is not caused by lack of GPS signal. It is caused by lack of GlobalStar communication satellite (the system SPOT uses vs. the “global” Iridium satellite communication network).

… and browsed some cell phone tracking websites. The cell phone tracking sites I found appear to only work in USA.

Again, I doubt that this is due to GPS coverage problems. I’d venture to guess that it is simply due to cell phone protocol differences and coverage.

The GPS system uses 24 satellites that orbit pretty evenly around the whole planet and does provide almost full planetary coverage (except near the north and south poles).

Can anybody recommend what a person should carry when traveling to India for emergency communication?

We're thinking she should buy an international GPS enabled cell phone when she gets to India.

That would probably be the best bet, at least as far as I can think of.

#117588 - 12/26/07 05:39 PM Re: International GPS tracking question [Re: onetim]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

hi, and welcome.

you didn't mention how long the travel will be.

if it's a short trip, you might consider renting a satellite phone. not that expensive to rent - but you do pay $1.75/min for outgoing calls. free incoming.

these folks have info here:

http://www.bestglide.com/iridium_satellite_phone_info.htm

and there are other rental providers.

good luck.

#117597 - 12/26/07 06:27 PM Re: International GPS tracking question [Re: onetim]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi onetime,

A GPS cell phone should be good enough as India generally has very good GSM network coverage in most towns and cities. 3G networks are being introduced in some major cities. Rural areas might be a bit patchy. If cost is not a issue then the Thuraya SG-2520 might be useful as it is a combined GSM/GPS/SAT Phone.

http://www.satphone.co.uk/networks/thuraya/handsetsnew.shtml

A rental Iridium Sat phone is a good idea but can generate unwanted attention when in use because of the rather large antenna.

You might find http://www.india-cellular.com/ useful for info on the current cell phone coverage situation in India.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.