Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#117530 - 12/26/07 05:09 AM How long's your BOB good for?
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
Does BOB=72 hours?

What's your take?

#117540 - 12/26/07 08:01 AM Re: How long's your BOB good for? [Re: ]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Here is my 2 cents:

EC (Everpresent Carry) = immediate functionality; designed to make general tasks easier, regardless of situation. Everybody has his/her own preferences here, but generally include things like keys, wallet, LED (light emitting diode) light, lighter, multi-tool, cellphone, etc. Think what makes my life easier.

PSK (Personal Survival Kit [up to 72 hours]) = immediate first aid + immediate subsistence; designed to maximally increase the likelihood of surviving current situation. PSK's are generally designed for survival at a fixed location until rescued, which most typically takes place within 72 hours if you did your pre-trip work and/or are carrying a PLB (personal locator beacon), or other viable communication device. Every member of your party should be carrying one. There is much controversy concerning these, and they take on an endless variety of shapes, sizes, and configurations, not to mention the endless content debates. Just think worst case scenario and common sense.

BOB (Bug-Out-Bag [72 hours to 2 weeks]) = longer term first aid + longer term subsistence; designed for evacuation either to or from home. BOB's are generally designed to facilitate fast and constant movement over an already established route. Every member of your party should carry his/her own. These will vary depending on distance to be traveled, seasonal weather, and generally will not focus on food aqcuisition, etc. These can and should be supplemented during the bug-out with predetermined caches along the route. Get the whole family involved in preparing for this one, as it is much more than just a kit.

EK (Expedition Kit [2 weeks to indefinite]) = civilization is not a foreseeable option gear; designed for complete self-sufficiency. EK's are generally designed to enable one or more individuals to live off the land for extended periods of time. Much of this kit can be shared between party members, such as hunting rifle, camp axe, rope, etc.

That was fun!

#117541 - 12/26/07 11:04 AM Re: How long's your BOB good for? [Re: Ors]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
My BoB has 10 days supplies & is designed to allow me to cover 1000+ miles in order to get home.

Yes, I will have to scounge for the additional resupply needed along my way.

Resupply will require: food, water, and equipment.

Enroute supply acquisition includes: weapons & ammo.

#117544 - 12/26/07 11:20 AM Re: How long's your BOB good for? [Re: wildman800]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
My BOB is for 72-hrs. After that, I'm toast... grin

Nah,I plan to bug-out by car, and when SHTF I put my home-supplies, FAK, BOB,etc. in the car (wich also has supplies itself) The BOB is in case I have to leave the vehicle.

I plan to bug-out well before something is planned to happen (when possible), so that I'm not stuck in the traffic..

#117546 - 12/26/07 12:13 PM Re: How long's your BOB good for? [Re: JIM]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
My BOB is actually three bags, 1st is my Camelbak Hawg which contains FAK,shelter,personal protection,and a great deal of other survival equipment. The next bag (duffel) contains food & water, and lastly the third (duffel) contains clothes and personal care items. All of this is carried in my truck which is one large BOB, it contains additional food, water and shelter. Bugging out is a last resort, getting back to my home is the primary goal. If I do have to Bug Out everything in the Shelter In Place inventory will go in the truck designed to get me to my Bug Out Location. So to answer the main question, my BOB's are designed around longer than 72 hrs but the food and water will last 5 days

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#117548 - 12/26/07 12:24 PM Re: How long's your BOB good for? [Re: Shadow_oo00]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I guess it depends on if you have to be completely self-reliant or not. For me, my BOBs contain supplies and tools enough to get me out of harm's way, which I figure could take a day or two or maybe three. After that, the consumables are pretty much gone, leaving me with a robust survival kit of tools and implements that I can use for an extended period. Security, water purification/filtration, shelter and clothing, fire, food, first aid, signaling and orienteering are the longer term requisites that make up the durable goods in my pack.

If it is complete self reliance, then I have enough to keep me going for a good three days. That is about all I want to carry with me anyways.

#117551 - 12/26/07 12:53 PM Re: How long's your BOB good for? [Re: Ors]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
Well mine is really designed more as a Get Home Bag. Bugging out isn't really much of an option for me. to bug out I'd have to have a place to go to. Living and working in South Jersey to bug out I'd have to cross 1 of 6 bridges to get into either PA or DE. That in itself would be a nightmare.
On a day to day basis I'm usually not more than 25 miles from home. I've prepped at home to survive at least a year so my task is to get home.
I figure that with my GHB I'm OK for at least 3-4 days on foot.

#117552 - 12/26/07 01:15 PM Re: How long's your BOB good for? [Re: ]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Troglodyte007
EK (Expedition Kit [2 weeks to indefinite]) = civilization is not a foreseeable option gear; designed for complete self-sufficiency. EK's are generally designed to enable one or more individuals to live off the land for extended periods of time. Much of this kit can be shared between party members, such as hunting rifle, camp axe, rope, etc.

That's what I have. Screw all that "depending on someone else to save me" crap. You have to depend on yourself, first and foremost.

#117563 - 12/26/07 02:41 PM Re: How long's your BOB good for? [Re: 91gdub]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: 91gdub
Living and working in South Jersey to bug out I'd have to cross 1 of 6 bridges to get into either PA or DE. That in itself would be a nightmare.

I'd look into getting an inflatable raft.

#117569 - 12/26/07 03:30 PM Re: How long's your BOB good for? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Mine is good foodwise for about 72 hours, and less with water. I'm not really even good for two days on water. If I was trying to leave NYC, getting out of it while carrying enough water for three days, and nothing else, would be difficult, unless driving is a real option. If I can do that, at least another 5 gallons comes with me. The limit on carrying food has made me think about adding stuff to my BOB that could allow me to get more food; snares, fishing kit, etc.

If I Bug-In, the supplies will last longer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.