The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#117182 - 12/22/07 09:16 PM Re: Oil Lamp question [Re: benjammin]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Loc: St. Paul MN
Thanks Benjammin! Maybe I will pick up a couple of gallons just in case and plan on switching to the kerosene if we run out.

Dave

#117183 - 12/22/07 09:55 PM Re: Oil Lamp question [Re: benjammin]
NAro Offline
Addict

Much more than anyone cares to know...stolen from various on-line sites:

..."The term paraffin oil is used in Britain, New Zeeland, Australia, and some other countries for the same fuel as is known as kerosene in the U.S. and Canada. There are two grades of kerosene: 1-K and 2-K. The former grade is low-sulfur kerosene, with a maximum sulfur content of 0.04 percent by weight, and the latter can contain up to 0.30 percent sulfur. The sulfur content is important because the sulfur in the fuel forms some pretty nasty pollutants when the fuel is burned. Keeping the sulfur content as low as it is in 1-K kerosene allows the fuel to be burned without a flue to remove the exhaust products from the room (such as in a kerosene space heater). 2-K kerosene must be burned only in appliances with a flue. Other than sulfur content, the two grades of kerosene have identical properties.

Lamp oil has been further processed and refined so that it doesn't produce as much harmful smoke, soot and other pollutants. Manufacturers, under pressure from eager consumers, decided to distill kerosene further so the fuel could be burned indoors without as much inconvenience. Now you can find "ultrapure" or "ultraclean" lamp oil at many outdoor suppliers and camping stores."

We've experienced no discomfort using 1-K (K-1) in lamps and in a heater in our cabin. HOWEVER, our cabin has been anything but air tight since Gilbert ventilated it that day with his H&K MP-5. (We don't let him play with us anymore!)

#117185 - 12/22/07 09:57 PM Re: Oil Lamp question [Re: Microage97]
LED Offline
Veteran

Olive oil works really well for indoor lamps. Lehmanns sells olive oil lamps, pretty much a jar, a wick and wick holder. After seeing theirs, I made one using a glass jar, paper clip, and a cotton wick. Gotta say it works really well and there's no smell or residue. I wouldn't use an olive oil lamp camping in bear country (might as well ring the dinner bell) but for the home its a great alternative to paraffin.

#117187 - 12/22/07 10:07 PM Re: Oil Lamp question [Re: LED]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Thanks Guys! We are using K1 currently in our space heaters without much trouble (Smell smoke). It is really a preety nice way to heat the house and sooooo much cheaper than NG. Our house was built in 1895 and when I re-modeled the living room I found scorch marks on the lath under the plaster from gas/oil lamps. Some of them looked like they almost had a house fire.

I am going to check around town before I mail order anything.

Dave

#117195 - 12/22/07 11:59 PM Re: Oil Lamp question [Re: NAro]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...his H&K MP-5..."

As long as he will let me play with it (the MP-5), Gilbert can come visit any time he wants...

#117212 - 12/23/07 01:13 AM Re: Oil Lamp question [Re: benjammin]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: benjammin
I really prefer paraffin oil in my glass lamps for inside the house. They burn a lot cleaner than Kerosene and I don't end up with burning eyeballs after a few hours. The oil is more expensive than Kerosene, but not so much that a couple gallons will set you back at all. I've a couple of the ones from Walmart in my collection of maybe a dozen or so. They will work okay, just stamped metal parts and glass like the rest of them. If you want fancy, go to the Lehman's site like Chris recommends and find whatever suits you.

is parafin oil safer than kerosene ? I am referring to fire hazard. Kerosene release stinking smoke & toxic odor.

#117248 - 12/23/07 12:51 PM Re: Oil Lamp question [Re: Microage97]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Shop at your local flea markets, yard and garage sales, thrift stores or estate sales. Thats where I picked all mine up, they are all older ones and tend to have heavier globes and the lamp itself is usually sturdier, I picked all mine for 10 bucks or less, well worth the investment. I should also mention that in my opinion the glass ones are better, no chance of leaking. If your planning on moving them around a lot you might want to chose a metal one.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#117259 - 12/23/07 02:18 PM Re: Oil Lamp question [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Thanks Shadow and everyone. Maybe I need to make the rounds and do some shopping at the thrift stores. I haven't heard of flea markets in the twin cities area. Maybe I just don't know.

Dave

#117272 - 12/23/07 03:47 PM Re: Oil Lamp question [Re: Microage97]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

Micro...i don't know of any flea markets around here either.
i look out for vintage camp gear--which you would think
Minnesota should be full of--zip--zero--it all seems to be
yard sales in the summer or "antique" shops out in Stillwater.

#117274 - 12/23/07 03:55 PM Re: Oil Lamp question [Re: Shadow_oo00]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Originally Posted By: Shadow_oo00
Shop at your local flea markets, yard and garage sales, thrift stores or estate sales. Thats where I picked all mine up, they are all older ones and tend to have heavier globes and the lamp itself is usually sturdier, I picked all mine for 10 bucks or less, well worth the investment. I should also mention that in my opinion the glass ones are better, no chance of leaking. If your planning on moving them around a lot you might want to chose a metal one.

I picked up two old brass ship lamps for 5 dollars apiece, they didn't have chimneys but thats an easy fix.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.