Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#117222 - 12/23/07 01:40 AM Anyone use GPS ?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Has anyone use GPS as part of your kit?
I did a search on GPS but result was nil.

Which GPS would you use?

I prefer the Garmin 60CSx.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=310

#117223 - 12/23/07 01:48 AM Re: Anyone use GPS ? [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Just for kicks, I also tried searching for anything GPS'y, and came up with zip. So I just started going back page after page, and within seconds found this. Messed up as the search feature seems to be, I suggest that you just start looking. I seem to recall that there have been several GPS thread fairly recently...

#117226 - 12/23/07 02:22 AM Re: Anyone use GPS ? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Mine saved our butt once, we hiked a trail in the Allegheny National Forest, on the web site it said they were letting the trail markers fade and were not going to replace them. We marked the location of the truck before we left the trail head. 3/4 of the way we lost the trail, we ran into another hiker and he said he also lost the trail in the opposite direction, we decided to go a little farther then decided to follow the GPS log back to the trail head. It took us back to within a few yards of the truck. The only thing is that they don't show the topography.....LOL we hiked up and down hills through fast flowing streams, over bolder fields etc. But at least it worked and we got back before night fall. I wouldn't be without one.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#117236 - 12/23/07 04:31 AM Re: Anyone use GPS ? [Re: picard120]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: picard120
I did a search on GPS but result was nil.

i think the ets search has to contain 4 letters.

edited in:

using this tip from the 'advanced seach help' - Use a * at the end of the word to match partial words - i typed in "GPS*". it brought up all of the gps threads. the * makes a difference. whodathought?

Edited by bsmith (12/23/07 04:34 AM)

#117240 - 12/23/07 05:40 AM Re: Anyone use GPS ? [Re: bsmith]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
What happens if you search on "Garmin" instead of "GPS"? I carry a Garmin Geko 301 in my EDC backpack. Use the waypoint function freely and it will draw you a map or your local area.

#117243 - 12/23/07 11:07 AM Re: Anyone use GPS ? [Re: Russ]
Onedzguy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Lost in Waipahu, HI
You may want to check this link.

http://edcforums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=7b542103f905ab93fd4f855c164dce2a&topic=12917.0

The original post starts from the bottom and the most recent post is on the top.

#117286 - 12/23/07 07:07 PM Re: Anyone use GPS ? [Re: Onedzguy]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I've had GPS for some time now. My first was a Garmin GPSIII+ I'd gotten from my wife one Christmas. I also have a Garmin Geko 201 and a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx.

I see a GPS as being a critical part of "lost-avoidance". They should be accompanied by a good compass, topographic map of the area, and a UTM grid. I like Garmins as they've done me very well over the years. The features I'd recommend in a GPS are a high-senstivity receiver and an electronic compass (yeah, I know lots of folks will disagree).

Actually my son - the boy scout - is getting a Garmin Geko 301 for Christmas, but he doesn't know it yet.

A while back Doug Ritter had recommended a mapping GPS in his list of 10+ thing people should carry for survival (see below for the rest of his list).

Getting lost is a common start for many survival situations. It is critical that the user saves a waypoint at their car or shelter. Given that even a non-mapping GPS can do wonders. The advantage of the mapping GPS is that someone who is lost at least knows where they are in relation to map features such as nearby roads and cities.

I'd always recommend GPS users turn them on briefly to get location, capture waypoints, and to get bearings and distances to destinations. They GPS should then be turned off to save batteries. During travel a magnetic compass can/should be used to maintain direction of travel.

Doug Ritter's 10 Essentials
1. Navigation - a mapping GPS w/ spare batteries, or secondarily a map & compass, AND the knowledge to use them together
2. Knife - one-hand opening
3. Fire starter & Tinder
4. Water & water purification
5. Whistle
6. Signal Mirror
7. Duct Tape
8. Shelter - large garbage bags or AMK Heat Sheets blanket
9. Flashlight or Headlamp - LED, lithium battery, with constant-on switch
10. Sunscreen and/or Insect Repellent
11. Personal Locator Beacon

#117301 - 12/23/07 08:45 PM Re: Anyone use GPS ? [Re: picard120]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
You can't go wrong with any of Garmin's offerings. Their GPSMAP 60CSx is the gold standard for hand held GPS units with quick signal acquisition, accuracy and more features then most users will utilize.

While the cost of the 60CSx is high for many, but Garmin makes a number of lesser expensive units that should allow every user to find one that fits their needs and area.

#117311 - 12/23/07 10:12 PM Re: Anyone use GPS ? [Re: Alan_Romania]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

i have a gps, and use it often, but i still always have a map and compass, incredibbly hard to shoot berings with, at least mine is.

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#117319 - 12/23/07 10:57 PM Re: Anyone use GPS ? [Re: climberslacker]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Most GPS are impossible to shoot a bearing with, some with an actual compass are easier but still not the best choice for taking a bearing but can make following and maintaining a heading MUCH easier. Again, just another tool in the tool box. I don't go out in the woods without all three (map/compass/gps) but the GPS is the least important of the three.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.