Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#118124 - 12/30/07 05:12 AM Re: How much is a gram of hashish? [Re: ]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
Heh, I would agree with that if it weren't so wrong. Pharmaceutical companies push drugs, that you certainly don't need, to make money. Have you ever seen the commercial where they tell you the product name but not what it does?? Just because something is legal doesn't mean it should be or that it's right. It certainly doesn't upset me, but it's easy enough for you to say when it's not your family. What if they found your kid making a stupid mistake selling a little bit of pot, or if he was selling some from his personal use bag to another friend, and they hung him for it? Blanket solutions never work, neither does prohibition; education and treatment programs are the only things proven to work, and I don't mean DARE or CHICKEN. The 12 step program is crap too, but that's another topic.

They already "control" heroin habits with methadone, I used to work at a clinic. It was sort of sad to see the little old ladies going home with their skull marked boxes for the weekend and such.. but that stuff doesn't work so well, and since they make your dose smaller and smaller people who are just going through the motions never make it. The other thing I noticed is if you get addicted to heroin the shocks on your car will go out. When I used to smoke cigs I would stand outside my "office" which was in front of a speed bump and watch people go by.. if their shocks were crap, they almost always were driving to the methadone clinic part of the building.

In answer to that:
1) Something like 80% of crime (in the U.K.) is drug related.
2) All too many addicts are incurable. That means that they cannot or will not be weaned off their addiction. Which leaves you with a limited number of options.
3) There have been experiments in providing heroin (not methadone) to incurable 's in at least on European country. Those experiments have proved quite successful.

I should add that the reason the drugs are provided to them is:
1)destruction of the pushers market.
2) Reduction of crime.

The nasty part of me would not be unhappy to see your average addict O.D. them self out of the gene pool, thus doing the human race a favour. The rest of me feels that they need help, not punishment.

In the U.K. an addict who seeks help is automatically prosecuted. Which means a jail sentence, which means a serious criminal record, which means unemployable.

Which means turning to crime both to support himself and his habit. A vicious circle.

I personally think that Tom Clancy had the right idea in "Clear and Present Danger" when it comes to the supplier's. Difference being that I would have openly proclaimed my intention to pursue them with all the means available to the state. That means diplomatic, political and military. Arrest,try (scrupulously fairly) in absentia if necessary, execute.

Edited by Leigh_Ratcliffe (12/30/07 08:57 PM)
Edit Reason: Expanded

#118167 - 12/30/07 09:34 PM Re: How much is a gram of hashish? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
[quote=BigDaddyTX]
I personally think that Tom Clancy had the right idea in "Clear and Present Danger" when it comes to the supplier's. Difference being that I would have openly proclaimed my intention to pursue them with all the means available to the state. That means diplomatic, political and military. Arrest,try (scrupulously fairly) in absentia if necessary, execute.

That would be next to impossible today. Over 90% of the worlds heroin comes from a US, UK, NATO occupied nation where farmers openly grow poppy. You can't realy declare a war on drug suppliers, while being the steward of a narcostate. Well, I guess you can, but you know what I mean.

#118238 - 12/31/07 02:08 PM Re: How much is a gram of hashish? [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Short version of Clear and Present Danger, the US sent troops secretly into a drug producing country to eyeball, and later take out druggies. They had a fighter intersepting suspiscious flights heading toward the US from the Gulf of Mexico, if the pilot would not follow the fighter to a landing he got splashed...

Re Sheriff Joe, he does have a few stange ideas from time to time, but his jail undoubtedly keeps badguys locked up at the least cost to the taxpayers of any other in the country. They can watch all of the TV they want, as long as they like the Disney and Weather channels. They don't steal underware anymore 'cuz all they can have is pink. They get to sleep in the same tents I stayed in when I was in the service. Sounds like a great plan to me. They want exercise, they can volunteer for the chain gang. I have no doubt that there are repeat offenders, but I'll also bet most of them go to another county to pull their crimes. Not so good for that county, but Joe is paid to protect his county, not someone elses. Maybe if EVERYONE had tent jails???

#118322 - 01/01/08 04:23 AM Re: How much is a gram of hashish? [Re: ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Treatment/therapy is what's proven to work, and it's also the hardest thing to get."

I was working for a woman in CA who discovered that her SO was hooked on cocaine. He finally admitted he needed help to quit, so she went with him on his initial visit to a treatment center. She asked the head guy what the success rate was, and was shocked to hear him say, "Something less than four (4) percent".

A few years ago, we had seven meth houses in my neighborhood. Some schoolteachers down the street invited some county narc guy to do a show and tell in their back yard. With the above conversation in mind, I asked what the success rate was for meth.

"Less than one (1) percent."

Sue

#118736 - 01/03/08 08:18 PM Re: How much is a gram of hashish? [Re: LED]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: LED
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
[quote=BigDaddyTX]

That would be next to impossible today. Over 90% of the worlds heroin comes from a US, UK, NATO occupied nation where farmers openly grow poppy. You can't realy declare a war on drug suppliers, while being the steward of a narcostate. Well, I guess you can, but you know what I mean.

By which remark may I presume that you are referring to Afghanistan?

1) Opium has a legitimate pharmaceutical use. Its used as the pain suppressive component in a lot of drugs. Including off the shelf medications.
2) Something like 30% of the population of this planet does not have access to even the most basic pain killers.
3) Opium is grown under license for pharmaceutical use in most western country's.
4) Afghanistan grows sufficient to meet the needs of the whole planet.
5) To a subsistence farmer in Afghanistan, opium is simply a subsistence crop that can be grown and then sold.
It has been suggested that the best way to prevent drug pushers from obtaining opium is to purchase the crop at a fair (to the farmer) price. Which could then be put to good use.

Naturally, the Holier Than Thou All Drugs Are Evil Brigade have rejected that option.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 443 Guests and 76 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.