Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#117865 - 12/28/07 08:52 PM Re: How much is a gram of hashish? [Re: Frank2135]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
My attitude towards Drug Dealers is quite simple:

If they are dealing to support a habit then they get jailed.
If they are dealing to make money then they get hanged.

When it comes to hardcore addicts we should either:

Contain and control their habit by prescribing a controlled amount to them (which would come with enforced conditions with regards to conduct, where they live, place of work, probation etc)thus keeping them out of the dealers hands.

or,

Employ the "foot and mouth" option.

And yes, I expect that to upset a few people.... smile

#117914 - 12/29/07 01:46 AM Re: How much is a gram of hashish? [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...you can't overdose on marijuana..."

I'm not sure about that, but I do know (from experience), that smoking marijuana and driving kills just as fast as drinking and driving. Imparment is imparment.

And, if you can get one to answer truthfully, most (all) herion (or other drug) addicts will tell you that they started with marijuana, then moved on to the big stuff. And being hooked on the hard stuff causes robberies, burgularies, prostitution, you name it, anything to get the money for another fix...

#117920 - 12/29/07 02:24 AM Re: How much is a gram of hashish? [Re: ]
ki7he Offline

Loc: SW Idaho
Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
Yeah, I notice that the guy with not too much marijuana in his car in the example has percocets, an addictive narco. That's the problem is that people keep lumping everything together. Alcohol is far more of a problem than marijuana in this country, more deaths from it by far, and tons of arrests anyway. I would say that of the penalty for a joint and the penalty for an open beer, the beer costs you more in my experience. Alcohol just happens to be legal, frankly it should be illegal also. There's certainly no societal good that comes out of it, it's addictive, and drinking and driving kills. As the old argument goes, you can't overdose on marijuana.

You do make a good case why marijuana shouldn't be legalized. As you say, alcohol, which is legal, causes far more accidents. I can't imagine how many more accidents, and deaths, would be caused if marijuana were to be legalized.

#118038 - 12/29/07 10:20 PM Re: How much is a gram of hashish? [Re: ki7he]
Spiritwalker Offline

I would be the last person to minimize the harm that people who abuse alcohol do in this country but I'll point out some facts that lend some perspective to an alcohol vs. marijuana debate.

The vast majority of people that use alcohol on a regular basis (weekly or more) do not drink to the point of impairment while the same can not be said of marijuana users. In fact, marijuana users always use to the point of impairment if possible.

Less than 5% of people that use alcohol regularly become problem drinkers or alcoholics and even less ever go on to use other drugs. Not so with marijuana, the majority of people that use even occasionally will go on to use other more obviously addictive and harmful drugs.

The number of convicted criminals of ALL kinds that have never used marijuana is statistically insignificant while less than 1% of people that use alcohol will ever be convicted of any type of crime.

#118049 - 12/29/07 11:03 PM Re: How much is a gram of hashish? [Re: Spiritwalker]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"The number of convicted criminals of ALL kinds that have never used marijuana is statistically insignificant while less than 1% of people that use alcohol will ever be convicted of any type of crime."

(Just arguing to be arguing)
Other than manslaughter? I guess 16,000-17,000 dead per year isn't much in the overall scheme of things, unless you're their victim, or a member of your family is. How about counting the quarter-million that were just injured? Being turned into a quadraplegic is an injury, they say.

Personally, I think people should be allowed to ingest anything they want, in any amount they want, as long as they stay put to do it and don't hurt anyone else. If they overdose and kill themselves, so what?

Suppose DUI offenders had their vehicles automatically confiscated if they fail a breath or blood test? "That isn't fair," shriek the drinkers. Fair? EXCUSE ME???

And suppose that meant ANY car they were driving, no matter who the owner was? If it's their own car, great! How many can they afford to lose? And if it's their wife/SO's? Tough luck, sweetie. Ever heard of the word 'enabling'? Hide the keys next time. Borrow a friend's car? HA! Take that one, too! How many times will that friend loan out a car to a drunk or known-drinker friend?

Prohibition didn't work. The War on Drugs didn't work. Let them have the crap, but if they hurt someone, THEY HAVE TO PAY. No exceptions, no plea bargains. And they should have to pay their victims, too. Like child support. The current business of drink/drive/kill/no penalty/repeat is totally insane.

Of course, this would never happen, because the people who make the laws drink and drive. They don't want to pay the piper. They need a good introduction to the real world, which is outside that fantasy land they live in now.

And if you drink and drive... that... means... you... too.

Sue

#118051 - 12/29/07 11:13 PM Re: How much is a gram of hashish? [Re: Spiritwalker]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Well said...

#118052 - 12/29/07 11:17 PM Re: How much is a gram of hashish? [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...as long as they stay put to do it and don't hurt anyone else..."

I'll buy that.

"...THEY HAVE TO PAY. No exceptions, no plea bargains..."

I would love to see that one, but fat chance of it happening in my lifetime, or until all county jails are Army tents like Sheriff Joe uses.

"...the people who make the laws drink and drive..."

Sad but pretty much true...

#118055 - 12/29/07 11:28 PM Re: How much is a gram of hashish? [Re: Susan]
Spiritwalker Offline

You have a lot of questions Susan and I don't have all the answers but I'll take a shot at a couple.

Originally Posted By: Susan
DUI is against the law, isn't it? So why are some people arrested for it 35 times or more, and still out there doing it again?

Because active alcoholics have lost the ability to choose whether or not they will drink alcohol and when or how much they will drink (in much the same way that drug addicts have lost their ability to choose regarding the use of drugs). They live with the delusion that they still have a choice, can "control" it or that they "quit forever" the last time they got into trouble. No matter the consequences or harm they cause to others, that delusion is unshakable in some.

Quote:
So, what WOULD happen if all of them were legalized?

Not enough good to mitigate the harm that would result.

Quote:
Is there anything to my theory (based on almost nothing) that:
1) Users want to use them -- no one is standing on their throat with a knife posed over their heart.

People start out "wanting" to try drugs, addicts and alcoholics use regardless of what they "want".

Quote:
2) Users will always be users, legal or not. If you legalize drugs and make them cheaper, will the users be able to afford enough to become fatalities, and thus "reduce the surplus population" (it's that time of year, you know)?

Recovery is possible for any alcoholic or addict possessing the ability to learn to be honest with themselves and the willingness to do what it takes to recover. There will always be some people who abuse drugs and alcohol, legalizing drugs would just dramatically increase the number of non-abusers that will suffer because of the actions of abusers as well as the costs to society.

Quote:
3) If you legalize them, and that does take most of the profit out of them, will the pushers still be pushing? What would be the point?

Some pushers will still push, they'll just focus their marketing on those that can not legally obtain the drugs like kids or those that want more than regulations will allow.

#118062 - 12/29/07 11:44 PM Re: How much is a gram of hashish? [Re: Spiritwalker]
Spiritwalker Offline

As I stated previously Susan, "I would be the last person to minimize the harm that people who abuse alcohol do in this country..."

I agree with you that the less than 1% of drinkers that do cause harm should be prevented from ever causing harm again and made to pay restitution to those they have harmed.

I do not agree that drugs should be legalized. If drug users would "stay put" now while using or impaired, it's unlikely that they would ever be arrested but the fact is that they don't and they won't if drugs are legalized. The other problem is that drug users are rarely much in the wage earning department and the fact that some burger-flipping stoner is court ordered to pay you $100,000 for killing your child in an accident would be of little comfort or actual compensation.

#118065 - 12/29/07 11:46 PM Re: How much is a gram of hashish? [Re: Spiritwalker]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Plus, that burger flipper doesn't make enough money to buy what he/she wants, so here come the robberies, burgularies, etc etc etc...

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 252 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.