Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#117151 - 12/22/07 04:08 PM Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list [Re: MoBOB]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Anybody have experience with these products?

http://www.philoxia.com/survival.htm

And Monty Alford's home made Yu-Can survival stove made with nested cans and tea candles is good for melting snow and you can use your survival tubing as a straw to drink directly from it.

Frankie

#117152 - 12/22/07 04:09 PM Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l [Re: Frankie]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I suppose that depends on the weather, the vehicle and how comfortable the seats are wink I'd like to see how well a mummy bag in a car does compared to a mummy bag in a tent.

Considering that the seat and carpeting are keeping me up off the ground and dry, and that I expend zero energy in building a shelter, I'll continue to plan on using the truck cab as an expedient shelter.

#117154 - 12/22/07 04:18 PM Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list [Re: JIM]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: JIM
Originally Posted By: Frankie
Quote:
And why a tent if you're in your vehicle . Are you going to get out of your vehicle and pitch a tent during a blizzard

I've read that any non-running vehicle is a heat sink and in cold weather it's better to build a shelter outside of the car to prevent hypothermia, like a snow trench or even a tent when there's not enough snow.

Where did you read this?

In Winter Wise by Monty Alford.

#117155 - 12/22/07 04:22 PM Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list [Re: Frankie]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Quote:
And why a tent if you're in your vehicle . Are you going to get out of your vehicle and pitch a tent during a blizzard

I've read that any non-running vehicle is a heat sink and in cold weather it's better to build a shelter outside of the car to prevent hypothermia, like a snow trench or even a tent when there's not enough snow.

Where did you read this?

Thanks, it seems like a nice book.

#117157 - 12/22/07 04:32 PM Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list [Re: JIM]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Quote:

Where did you read this?

This part of the thread is starting to look like Russian Matryoshka dolls with all its nested quotes.

#117160 - 12/22/07 04:38 PM Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list [Re: Frankie]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

[quote=Frankie]
Quote:

Where did you read this?

This part of the thread is starting to look like Russian Matryoshka dolls with all its nested quotes. [/quote]

You think? grin

#117161 - 12/22/07 04:43 PM Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list [Re: JIM]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

[quote=JIM][quote=Frankie]
Quote:

Where did you read this?

This part of the thread is starting to look like Russian Matryoshka dolls with all its nested quotes. [/quote]

You think? grin [/quote]

yep grin

#117162 - 12/22/07 04:46 PM Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list [Re: Frankie]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

[quote=Frankie][quote=JIM][quote=Frankie]
Quote:

Where did you read this?

You think? grin [/quote]

yep grin [/quote]

Really? (alright, I'll stop)

#117200 - 12/23/07 12:16 AM Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l [Re: JIM]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

[quote=JIM][quote=Frankie][quote=JIM][quote=Frankie]
Quote:

Where did you read this?

You think? grin [/quote]

yep grin [/quote]

Really? (alright, I'll stop) [/quote]

Sorry I couldn't help it.

I think a car or truck would make for an alright shelter as long as you have a thick wool blanket and heavy sleeping bag. Plus you probably have your heavy winter coat. Plenty of insulation. All I would really want is for the car to stop the wind.

#117216 - 12/23/07 01:19 AM Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list [Re: handyman]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

T-shirt should be avoid as emergency item in winter kit. synthetic polyester long johns, polartec, should be included in the kit.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.