Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#117085 - 12/22/07 02:52 AM Re: Reconsidering size of the survival kit [Re: Crowe]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX

Oh, shiney! Me want!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#117088 - 12/22/07 02:54 AM Re: Reconsidering size of the survival kit [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Agree, hence my earlier statement that "your clothing is the first layer of any survival kit".

#117090 - 12/22/07 02:57 AM Re: Reconsidering size of the survival kit [Re: raydarkhorse]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Hey, I may be old, but no one has ever accused me of being fat...

#117092 - 12/22/07 03:00 AM Re: Reconsidering size of the survival kit [Re: OldBaldGuy]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Ok maybe not you but some of us, then again it's all relitive to what we were when we were young and dumb.

#117097 - 12/22/07 03:13 AM Re: Reconsidering size of the survival kit [Re: raydarkhorse]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
True, so true...

#117138 - 12/22/07 12:26 PM Re: Reconsidering size of the survival kit [Re: Omega]
NAro Offline
Addict

Omega, I really like these:
http://www.aquapac.net/

I've posted about them before, but it seems like no other forumites share my enthusiasm.. fwiw. I have several, and have never had a puncture or other failure. The one I use most is around 1.75 to 2 x larger than the Ritter PSP and hangs either on it's lanyard around my neck (safety lanyard) or on a belt with the integral belt loop. Everything is in it except a small neck knife (HAK knife) which is ON the lanyard. Although I usually have more emergency gear with me... this is my "last ditch" kit.

I evolved to this mode of carry after a near-tragedy of my own making on the water. I got snagged in the water and had to ditch my boots, pants (and the PSP, etc. in the pants pockets and on the belt). Couldn't save the kit and save my A** at the same time. MY BAD. However, from that point forward whenever I'm on the water the Aquapac is on my neck. Certainly, I could end up having to ditch that too - but I think I'd have a better change of saving it. I'll wear it IN the water, too: under a t-shirt, next to my skin. Looks a bit goofy (but I bet most of us ETS'ers get used to that observation from non-believers).

Anyway, I'd love to hear from others: What am I missing...why aren't there more Aquapac fans here??

#117142 - 12/22/07 02:04 PM Re: Reconsidering size of the survival kit [Re: NAro]
DFW Offline
Journeyman

Someone mentioned Nite Ize belt organizers on the forum a while ago, so I went looking......

http://www.niteize.com/productdetail.php?category_id=28&product_id=100

I really like what I see, though I haven't bought one yet. I think this is their largest belt organizer, but they have others, including 2 smaller models. Perhaps this belongs on the thread about layering survival equipment - EDC, bigger kit, BOB... but I was here and it seemed to apply.

My everyday and work garb does not lend itself to a lot of EDC. My BOB is too heavy for me to carry it far, (it's time to 'fess up, I'm a female) and in a "situation" would more likely supplement my car kit. I understand the person who said you are likely to leave a pouch behind, but if you know you are going into the jungle (forest, desert), or bugging out of home or office in an emergency, wouldn't a pouch be a logical carry? If you had to ditch the car and big kits, wouldn't a small, breakaway kit of essentials be a good thing?

#117145 - 12/22/07 02:55 PM Re: Reconsidering size of the survival kit [Re: DFW]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I have used Nite-Ize products for years and found them to be of good quality. I have never used the belt pouch model you posted but I have used the 2 phone holders and the Pock-its belt pouch. It is this pouch that forms part of my EDC wilderness carry (multi-tool, light, whistle, mini-bic, ferro rod, wire saw). I think there was a post about this a few months ago.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Mike

#117153 - 12/22/07 04:14 PM Re: Reconsidering size of the survival kit [Re: SwampDonkey]
Omega Offline
Journeyman

Well, jungles are different depending on country. But there are a lot of reasons to be in swimming shorts and sandals: it is too hot and humid, you venture into the jungle thicket only a few times a day, but spend most time around your camp preparing wood for fire, fixing accomodation, or go for sightseening and fishing on a canoe (there is a lot fo shaded area in jungles where you can see a lot of animals, also more fish is in shaded areas, therefore you do not burn under the sun). You sweat a lot and therefore stay as much naked as you can. Even some light work during the day can cause overheating.
Aquapac seems to be a good idea - not too shiny to stand out too much.

#117186 - 12/22/07 10:06 PM Re: Reconsidering size of the survival kit [Re: Omega]
NAro Offline
Addict

My aquapacs have survived beaches and rainforests in Costa Rica, with no problems. They haven't gotten brittle in -0 degree F weather. The ONLY modification I've made is to make the neck lanyard break-away (using lamp wick - per Chris K's thread years ago). I've used the one they make for cameras on white water raft trips, and have been pleased. They don't protect much from impact, but the camera stayed dry (and can be operated within the pac). I quit carying the altoids tin or any other hard case after being dumped by a horse and wearing a tin-shaped bruse for a week or so.

But again YMMV. I don't hear from other users here in the ETS forums, so you have only my experience.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 281 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.