Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#116995 - 12/21/07 09:40 PM Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l [Re: Loganenator]
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
As I've said before, there's a difference between SURVIVING and COMFORT.

Paper plates are not needed for survival...they do provide a touch of civilization which can be a moral booster.

I'm reminded of an episode of MASH where the camp had to bug out...everyone was told to take only the essentials (they were abandoning the camp, not taking it with them)...Charles had his phonograph and a huge stack of records...he swore that he was taking only the barest of essentials. Come to think of it, why weren't they better prepared for a bug out in general??

I think I'm going to write an article...practical kit lists...no lace hankies allowed!

A lot of people are going to need simple to use items and even simpler instructions on how to use them...I'll put that on my list of projects.

Thinking about the deodorant (and back to the civilization thought) reminds me of that Right Guard commercial a few years back..."because you don't want to give off a malodorous air...Right Guard, because anything less would be uncivilized" smile

#117007 - 12/21/07 11:04 PM Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l [Re: Loganenator]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Quote:
flashlight (wind-up)

Great! Now the masses are going to be “prepared” by getting those cheap pieces of crap that have button cell batteries hidden in them because the “dynamo” is nothing but a noisemaker clicky-toy. They should have either been less specific by saying “Flashlight” or more specific by saying “Flashlight (Batteryless, e.g. Freeplay or NightStar)”.

#117055 - 12/22/07 02:05 AM Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list [Re: Loganenator]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Lot of head scratcher stuff- missing items (gloves, tow straps, maybe I missed the Slime/Fixaflat), badly defined items (FAK, water), and why bother (tent?!?, deodorant?)

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#117058 - 12/22/07 02:08 AM Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
And a P-38 with nothing to open...

#117060 - 12/22/07 02:13 AM Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
And a P-38 with nothing to open...

Maybe you'll run along a raccoon with a can of pork and beans.

Maybe you'll use it to open a sunroof in your car...

Maybe you'll be stranded on an abandoned army base and trip over a 60 year old C-Rat can....

Maybe it's an emergency suicide tool when you run out of shampoo...

Who knows?

#117064 - 12/22/07 02:18 AM Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l [Re: Crowe]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
True. I still carry my first one, got it in 'bout '68. I don't use it much anymore, but still carry it...

#117076 - 12/22/07 02:29 AM Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l [Re: Crowe]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Or maybe just a raccoon?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#117148 - 12/22/07 03:51 PM Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car l [Re: Ors]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
In a shelter-in-place longer term situation paper plates are nice because you save water from not having to wash the dishes though.

#117149 - 12/22/07 03:56 PM Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list [Re: handyman]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Quote:
And why a tent if you're in your vehicle . Are you going to get out of your vehicle and pitch a tent during a blizzard

I've read that any non-running vehicle is a heat sink and in cold weather it's better to build a shelter outside of the car to prevent hypothermia, like a snow trench or even a tent when there's not enough snow.

#117150 - 12/22/07 04:06 PM Re: Outdoorlife article: Survival Equipment, Car list [Re: Frankie]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Frankie
Quote:
And why a tent if you're in your vehicle . Are you going to get out of your vehicle and pitch a tent during a blizzard

I've read that any non-running vehicle is a heat sink and in cold weather it's better to build a shelter outside of the car to prevent hypothermia, like a snow trench or even a tent when there's not enough snow.

Where did you read this?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.