Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#116902 - 12/21/07 02:38 PM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: Blitz]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

I think it works both ways, I can tolerate the cold pretty well (love or like seem too strong of words), but I'm not a big fan of high heat. Part of that is acclimatization, and part of that is probably mindset, I know plenty of ways to keep warm, getting cool seems alot harder.

#120147 - 01/15/08 12:07 AM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: Crowe]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I was told in a recent Sierra Club class that lighters with piezo-electric ignition don't work well at altitude.

I couldn't get either of my lighters with piezo-electric ignition to function this past weekend at about 8000'. At the end of the day, I drove back downhill, and they performed just fine.

On the other hand, I've used a Jet Boil with with piezo-electric ignition at 10000' with no difficulty.

Anyone know what gives here?

#120148 - 01/15/08 12:17 AM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

There was another post about this. It has to do with the ability of a high voltage spark to jump through air. At high altitude there's less air and there needs to be more of a voltage to jump the same size gap.

I'm sure there is an electrical nerd somewhere cringing at that explanation but it's the best I have.

#120329 - 01/16/08 01:24 AM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I've been reading a bit more. Apparently I was pretty lucky. The JetBoil's piezo ignition is a bit better than my lighter's but 10K is about the max altitude where piezo ignition can still be used.

Your explanation sounds like it's in the ball park. Others have told me that it's something to do with lack of oxygen at higher altitudes.

#120401 - 01/16/08 03:06 PM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: ]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
There was another post about this. It has to do with the ability of a high voltage spark to jump through air. At high altitude there's less air and there needs to be more of a voltage to jump the same size gap.

I'm sure there is an electrical nerd somewhere cringing at that explanation but it's the best I have.

Yep. I am. You have the spark jump theory exactly backwards.
Air insulates against spark jump. So at altitude spark will jump a given gap at a lower voltage.

Other choices are: incorrect fuel/air mixture, insufficient ions created in the spark to propagate flame, spark jumping early and not building up a nice fat arc (this is my most likely pick). Might be some other reasons I can't think of at the moment.

Unimogbert

#120408 - 01/16/08 05:04 PM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: unimogbert]
Scoutdoors Offline
Stranger

Loc: BoBB

The Bic works just fine for me.

When wet, it lights after shaking off the water (second attempt). It doesn't mind cold or altitude. It can be replaced inexpensively (a buck or so) and easily (at any gas station) when it runs out. Its fuel doesn't escape over time like a Zippo (a 5 year old Bic lit on the first attempt, but my zippo was empty after 2 weeks). It doesn't require regular monitoring or refueling (when it gets close to empty, replace it). It doesn't require special preparation or procedures to light. Because it is small and inexpensive I am more likely to include one in all of my kits and in my pocket.

The Bic M-series lighter cover gets around the issue of triggering the gas while the Bic is in your pocket or your kit. It doesn't add much weight or size to the lighter. It protects the Bic from being damaged by sharp objects or being crushed. It provides a bit of wind protection. And I can buy 10 or more Bic covers with lighters included for the cost of a premium refillable butane lighter.

As a Scouter I enjoy learning about many different fire making methods. I've taught many to my Scouts, and using alternative fire starting methods is a lot of fun. We have also used torch lighters for the Coleman lanterns when we go car camping.

However, there is a much greater chance of success starting a fire with the Bic that I have in my pocket than with the flint and steel kit I left in the car, or the magnifying glass or soda can bottom that would have worked if it had been a sunny day, or the improvised bow drill without a flat dry piece of wood for the base.

You could dump the Bic and count on something larger or more exotic or more primitive. But these options may not be present or functional when you need them.

Or you could carry the Bic to be assured of a flame, and have the other options as a backup.

#120410 - 01/16/08 05:17 PM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: unimogbert]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw

Yep. I am. You have the spark jump theory exactly backwards.
Air insulates against spark jump. So at altitude spark will jump a given gap at a lower voltage.

Other choices are: incorrect fuel/air mixture, insufficient ions created in the spark to propagate flame, spark jumping early and not building up a nice fat arc (this is my most likely pick). Might be some other reasons I can't think of at the moment.

Unimogbert

GAH! I thought I did but it made sense so I ran with it. Now I too wonder why they don't work at high altitudes if it's not that???

#120412 - 01/16/08 05:26 PM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: Scoutdoors]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Yeah, I think I'd agree with Scoutdoors based on my experience. Looks like Bics are the best option for routine use. Bics don't work well in wind, but I think carrying lifeboat matches as a back up would get you through in windy conditions.

I always carry Tinder Quik and a Spark Lite. I actually used the lighter's piezo coil to light a Tinder Quik and then used the Tinder Quik to light my stove on a recent snow shoe trip at 8000'. The piezo coil was glowing red, but it wouldn't ignite the gas in my lighter. The Tinder Quik was a piece of cake to light using the piezo coil.

#120508 - 01/17/08 04:39 AM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: ]
red Offline

I have had nothing but problems with piezoelectric stoves, lighters, you name it. They have the maddening habit of not working right when things HAVE to work. Bics seem to be bombproof.

It was nice to read that others have had good experience with their peanut lighters, but I'm ready to ditch mine from my EDC and get a BIC holder instead. It has failed several times on me in the winter. Luckily, I always have other means.

#120509 - 01/17/08 04:43 AM Re: DUMP THE BIC [Re: red]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Red, I think that is why we all have a couple of ways of lighting fire. Anythign that important, you don't leave it to just one method.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.