Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#116865 - 12/21/07 05:07 AM Re: Tactics for Long Term Bugging Out [Re: Eugene]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
If there is a "hands house", rent that with the understanding that the tenant is to watch out for the main house as well. It is watched, but open if you need it. And you can charge premium for the rent, so the property taxes will be largely covered. The only trick is the screening of the tenants.

Got an old friend still in the home town that you can trust? To me, the first parameter, even before routes and water, for a bug out destination is "are you expected there?"

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#116884 - 12/21/07 01:37 PM Re: Tactics for Long Term Bugging Out [Re: NightHiker]
Scoutdoors Offline
Stranger

Loc: BoBB
What should I consider if bugging out with an enclosed trailer? With a large family, I could not reasonably carry much long-term bugout gear in the bugout vehicle.

How can/should I harden the trailer to prevent break-ins?

How do I keep the trailer from being stolen in its entirety? Would locks/chains be sufficient?

Could I safely carry enough fuel in the trailer (perhaps 100gal) for a long distance bugout?

How should the trailer be disguised (or can it be disguised) to hide the fact that it contains valuable bugout/survival supplies at a time when the contents would be needed by nearly anyone I encounter? Perhaps load the back of the trailer with frivolous junk so as to obscure the real contents?

What is the possibility that some government official might retain or sieze the contents 'for the greater good'.

Am I increasing the likelyhood of breakdowns by carrying the additional weight of the trailer? Should I add to the weight of the trailer by bringing repair equipment (additional spare tires, replacement belts and hoses, etc)?

#116889 - 12/21/07 02:11 PM Re: Tactics for Long Term Bugging Out [Re: Scoutdoors]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
A lot of questions, but the one thing I would not do is separate the gear from the people who would need and use it. I might divide the family into two vehicles, each taking their own gear and stores, if I had to.

#116896 - 12/21/07 02:30 PM Re: Tactics for Long Term Bugging Out [Re: raydarkhorse]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You don't find enterprise size IT shops in every town though. In the state its in (WV) there are basically no jobs, then the county the farm is in has a terrible school system and I have two kids.

#116920 - 12/21/07 04:47 PM Re: Tactics for Long Term Bugging Out [Re: Scoutdoors]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
How can/should I harden the trailer to prevent break-ins?

I have hauled trailers that carried thousands of dollars worth of tools. Depending on the trailer there are several ways to harden it against break-ins. one way is to add heavy metal stripps and plates to the inside of the trailer at locking points.

How do I keep the trailer from being stolen in its entirety? Would locks/chains be sufficient?

There are several kinds of locks for the tounge the best ones insert into the area for the ball.

Could I safely carry enough fuel in the trailer (perhaps 100gal) for a long distance bugout?

If your taier has vents cattying fuel in an emergency should be fine, but during normal times check local laws.

How should the trailer be disguised (or can it be disguised) to hide the fact that it contains valuable bugout/survival supplies at a time when the contents would be needed by nearly anyone I encounter? Perhaps load the back of the trailer with frivolous junk so as to obscure the real contents?

disquiseing it is not really an option. Instead of carrying frivolous extras cover important equipment with clothes and lesser important items

What is the possibility that some government official might retain or sieze the contents 'for the greater good'.

Not a real possibility during a local emergency but if it was a large scale emergency the possibility is there.

Am I increasing the likelyhood of breakdowns by carrying the additional weight of the trailer? Should I add to the weight of the trailer by bringing repair equipment (additional spare tires, replacement belts and hoses, etc)?

Some repaire equipment and parts is of course required but don't go over board.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 407 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.