The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#116625 - 12/20/07 02:21 AM Tactics for Long Term Bugging Out
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Pre-event Planning.....Execution.....Tactics......

1. Bugging Out is:
a. the last ditch plan!
b. allows one to only carry the minimum personal gear/equipment.
c. a small group can carry more "community equipment" (entrenching tool, small axe/hatchet, etc.)

2. Planning and Execution:
a. deciding on a destination-specific or an area.
b. mapping out the escape route to be used from home and city (or town, village, etc).
c. deciding on the "trigger(s)" that tell you when it's time to leave.
d. knowing who is going with you-strengths and weaknesses (too many or too few persons in your group has consequences).

3. Tactics:
a. evading other groups whether civilian or governmental (threat assessment).
b. daytime vs. nighttime traveling; when to do which.
c. where and how to find resupply opportunities.
d. how long to march and how long to stop and rest along the way
(march for 5 days and then stop, make a temporary basecamp, rest up for 3 days?).
e. knowing when to have a "hot camp" (with a fire) and when to have a "cold camp".
f. upon reaching a destination area-find a place to set up a semi-permanent base camp or keep moving among many semi-permanent base camps once a week?????
g. establish garden plots in the forest and hunting/gathering for sustenance????

These are some random thoughts that I have been pondering (maybe too many dreams/flashbacks of late???)

What are y'all's thoughts??????

#116634 - 12/20/07 03:21 AM Re: Tactics for Long Term Bugging Out [Re: wildman800]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
I think Eugene had a good point in a post under Bugout backpack:

"A documentary on someone shows what I'm trying to illustrate, that the amount people are successful at living off the land like that is little enough that it becomes news/story/documentary/movie/legend worthy. One in a thousand might attempt it and then one in one thousand will be successful.
If your really planning on [that] type of bug out, have a cabin already built and stocked."

The documentary he refered to was Dick Proenneke, (Alone in the Wilderness, DVD. http://www.dickproenneke.com/) I believe.

If bugging out is even a possibility I agree with Eugene that having a community cabin "retreat" is probably your best bet for surviving long term. Also having experience with that area and how to "harvest" from it in all seasons would be ideal.

Cheers,
Nemo

Edited by Nemo (12/20/07 05:56 AM)

#116685 - 12/20/07 02:09 PM Re: Tactics for Long Term Bugging Out [Re: wildman800]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I think one of the best things to prepare is simply your brain and prepare it to consider options.

For example, you refer to establishing garden plots in a forest and hunting gathering for sustenance. You may be also considering setting up a cabin someplace remote. These may both be good options. But what is you could also find a group of abandoned homes in a town? Seems to me that would provide better shelter, and you would not need to put in effort to build shelters. Also, you would have areas that were cleared, and did not need to be cleared for a garden. Also, that garden might be hidden from view by structures. I'm not saying the forest may not be a better option for you, but leaving to create your own cummunity from nothing but a few tools and the sweat of your brow may not be the better option.

#116692 - 12/20/07 02:25 PM Re: Tactics for Long Term Bugging Out [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I am not, for a several reason, a fan of bugging out, but your post made me think of something for those who do consider buggin'. I have seen more than one comment here re establishing a garden plot, but I do not recall EVER seeing seeds as a part of a BOB. So, without seeds, how would one start a garden? I can not really see bringing a BLT along, and trying to salvage a few seeds from the 'mater...

#116719 - 12/20/07 04:06 PM Re: Tactics for Long Term Bugging Out [Re: wildman800]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
1. Bugging Out is:
a. the last ditch plan! Last ditch but required as demonstrated in southern Cali, New Orleans, Mississippi, and Florida. Possible pandemic, terror attacks, and large scale civil unrest make a remote location desirable IMO and experience.
b. allows one to only carry the minimum personal gear/equipment. Most equipment that we carry is really designed to allow a more comfortable survival. Most of the time a vehicle will be available at least in the beginning to carry equipment. However leaving by foot should be planned for as a possibility.
c. a small group can carry more "community equipment" (entrenching tool, small axe/hatchet, etc.) Believing that we can survive easily alone is a fallacy we get from movies, and books. It can be done but it will be so much easier with long established friends.
2. Planning and Execution:
a. deciding on a destination-specific or an area. Hopefully well established or at the very least well known to the majority of the group
b. mapping out the escape route to be used from home and city (or town, village, etc). With at least 3 routes marked and discussed with rendezvous locations (if possible)along the way.
c. deciding on the "trigger(s)" that tell you when it's time to leave. Hard to do. Easy for impending natural disasters, but not so easy when talking about pandemics, terrorists, or large-scale civil disruption.
d. knowing who is going with you-strengths and weaknesses (too many or too few persons in your group has consequences). One of the most important aspects that a lot of people over look. Lots of knowledge and training and cross training is needed for a long-term survival without any contacts with “civilization” for resupply.
3. Tactics:
a. evading other groups whether civilian or governmental (threat assessment).
b. daytime vs. nighttime traveling; when to do which.
c. where and how to find resupply opportunities. Hopefully this will be possible but plans should include contingencies if resupply is unsuccessful or impractical.
d. how long to march and how long to stop and rest along the way
(march for 5 days and then stop, make a temporary basecamp, rest up for 3 days?). Both d & e depend on the knowledge, experience, general shape and conditions of all parties involved.
e. knowing when to have a "hot camp" (with a fire) and when to have a "cold camp".
f. upon reaching a destination area-find a place to set up a semi-permanent base camp or keep moving among many semi-permanent base camps once a week????? With my personal plans it is permanent, with hunting cabins already in place. Plans also include secondary location and plans in the event primary camp is already occupied.
g. establish garden plots in the forest and hunting/gathering for sustenance???? Seeds and basic tools in place at permanent camp.

I prefer to have a plan and never need it rather than need a plan and place and need it. Besides it gave me and my friends a reason to buy a remote hunting cabin.

Edited by raydarkhorse (12/20/07 04:18 PM)

#116748 - 12/20/07 05:56 PM Re: Tactics for Long Term Bugging Out [Re: ]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

The primary plan if we have trespassers is to obtain extra gear from said trespassers. We never approach the place without a scout in advance of the main party in normal times, and will be extra careful in bad times.

#116826 - 12/21/07 01:44 AM Re: Tactics for Long Term Bugging Out [Re: raydarkhorse]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I put bugging out at a higher priority than some others since I'm not in a good area. Police just came tonight and arrested one of the punks living across the street from us while his friends laughed and yelled at them telling them they were stupid and he would be back in 24 hours, they have zero respect for the police so I know they won't stay away from us when things get bad.
Second reason I can put bugging out higher is I have a family farm to go to. But trespassers worry me, once my parents are gone there won't be anyone to watch the place. So I'm going to have to make sure I'm there often and that 500 mile round trip seems to keep getting more and more expensive. I plan to build a permanent structure up on the farm, my parents house is down in a valley which nearly got flooded in the 80's. I'm looking for ways to make it more secure.

#116847 - 12/21/07 03:10 AM Re: Tactics for Long Term Bugging Out [Re: Eugene]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Me personally I would think about finding a job closer to the farm and moving there permanently.

#116848 - 12/21/07 03:14 AM Re: Tactics for Long Term Bugging Out [Re: raydarkhorse]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
As in like,,,,RIGHTAWAY!!!!

#116864 - 12/21/07 05:01 AM Re: Tactics for Long Term Bugging Out [Re: wildman800]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I think the critical part of how I'd reply is what do we mean by "long term"? Longer than three weeks? Three months? A year plus?

At three months, it is pretty much a relocation- you are either working for your old boss at a new site or needing a new gig, and/or are in temporary housing. At a year, it is certainly a relocation. Relocation, at least to me, is what you do after the bugging, the bug out itself is a short term thing designed to get you clear of the danger and reorganized. So to my mind, a "long term bugging out" becomes a contradiction in terms. *shrugs*

YMMV.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.