The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#116600 - 12/19/07 11:03 PM Re: Bugout back for longterm use [Re: Susan]
handyman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts
Did'nt read all the replys but here is my $ .02 .
A guy named Dick Prenoky [ not sure about last name spelling ] built a log cabin and lived for thirty years in the Alaskan wilderness . I saw the documentry he filmed himself on public tv . If it comes on again be sure to watch it .
He built the cabin and made just about everything he needed with some basic hand tools . He survived by fishing hunting and had a small garden .
I didn't read through the entire list of supplys you had but , just off the top of my head , there are some things I would definately include if I planned on surviving in the north woods for a long time .
1. A bow and arrow is a good idea but I would bring a rifle or two . Probably a 22 and a larger caliber rifle - 30-06 or 30-30 or a shotgun
2. Lots of clothes because clothes would be very hard to make
3. As many hand tools that I could carry . Axe , saw , hammer , large chissels , shovel . etc.

#116619 - 12/20/07 01:39 AM Re: Bugout back for longterm use [Re: thseng]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Hi Tom/thseng,

No worries, I didn't take it personally...population is a very sensitive issue and not particularly relevant to this forum any way. My point may have been lost in the Malthusian perspective.

So to keep my point on survival preparedness topic...What I meant to discuss is how this video reminded me of how we will all go through good times and hard times and its best to plan for the "potential" hard times currently during the "good" times. (e.g. growth vs recession, and seasonally early summer vs. late fall)

Regardless of peak oil, water and food shortage relevance or whatever the context of an emergency, we will all face our own hard times in different ways...terrible weather, industrial accidents, even just losing our job/house and not finding permanent work/shelter for a while. Survival comes in many forms...and when it comes to survival of the species I agree with you that it does not belong on this forum. The desire for independence and self-reliance is what brings most of us here and so to advocate against those values with governmental control was not my intent.

Peace brother smile

Cheers,
Nemo.

Edited by Nemo (12/20/07 03:10 AM)

#116620 - 12/20/07 01:42 AM Re: Bugout back for longterm use [Re: handyman]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A documentary on someone shows what I'm trying to illustrate, that the amount people are successful at living off the land like that is little enough that it becomes news/story/documentary/movie/legend worthy. One in a thousand might attempt it and then one in one thousand will be successful.
If your really planning on they type of bug out, have a cabin already built and stocked.

#116622 - 12/20/07 01:57 AM Re: Bugout back for longterm use [Re: handyman]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: handyman
Did'nt read all the replys but here is my $ .02 .
A guy named Dick Prenoky [ not sure about last name spelling ] built a log cabin and lived for thirty years in the Alaskan wilderness . I saw the documentry he filmed himself on public tv . If it comes on again be sure to watch it .
He built the cabin and made just about everything he needed with some basic hand tools . He survived by fishing hunting and had a small garden .
I didn't read through the entire list of supplys you had but , just off the top of my head , there are some things I would definately include if I planned on surviving in the north woods for a long time .
1. A bow and arrow is a good idea but I would bring a rifle or two . Probably a 22 and a larger caliber rifle - 30-06 or 30-30 or a shotgun
2. Lots of clothes because clothes would be very hard to make
3. As many hand tools that I could carry . Axe , saw , hammer , large chissels , shovel . etc.

Dick Proenneke, Alone in the Wilderness, a really cool DVD. http://www.dickproenneke.com/

Dick humped in the steel tool heads for all his tools and made the handles on site to save weight and bulk.

#116666 - 12/20/07 11:58 AM Re: Bugout back for longterm use [Re: Crowe]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Dick also had "air support", his friends flew in a lot of supplies over the years.

The DVD is well worth the money and Dick's master craftsmanship never fails to wow me every time I watch it.

#116731 - 12/20/07 04:51 PM Re: Bugout back for longterm use [Re: ]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
This Alaska guy had a big advanatage when it came time for gardening...the soil up there is crazy for growing. You could grow a cabin by planting a Lincoln log (maybe). When I was stationed up there I was absolutely astounded at the quality of the produce from the Mat-Su Valley. The vegetables were the best I have ever had, by far. Sorry California and New Jersey, you are very distant second and third in this category IMHO.

Just a thought..

#116734 - 12/20/07 05:04 PM Re: Bugout back for longterm use [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
His book, One Man's Wilderness, is even better than the video...

#116750 - 12/20/07 06:02 PM Re: Bugout back for longterm use [Re: ]
NIM Offline

Hi BigDaddyTX,

Yes, I can make a bow from scratch including arrows. I'm training to use a sling over a slingshot(due to the tubing wearing out) although a throwing stick is pretty close.

I can make traps from 'wild' parts and the gill net will assist with trap fishing. I'm also able to stalk up and pounce on wild plants.

I don't know if that is enough though. How do you know if your skills are good enough unless you try them for a year? It would be a crap-shoot I suspect. I'm against guns as they are heavy and the ammo runs out. I'm not going to need heavy fire power I'd rather take a .22 cal pellet gun then a bullet thrower. I've been able to make darts for it and the leather pump could be replaced in the field.

-NIM

#116751 - 12/20/07 06:06 PM Re: Bugout back for longterm use [Re: ]
NIM Offline

Darn right. I agree too. I'd prefer civilization over being in the wild for access to food, hot showers, etc.

I'm sure most that returned to civilization would have been able to suffer through winter if civilization was plague infested.

I'm just learning how to use this forum and I'm finding it hard to find the threads I haven't replied to (and should). Any tips?
For those of you who are offering suggestions and input -thank you!

All thoughts are welcome and almost all are being reviewed and considered.

-NIM

#116788 - 12/20/07 08:08 PM Re: Bugout back for longterm use [Re: NIM]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
I use google reader to keep up on blogs and it works well for this forum as well. It organizes all new posts you haven't checked under each topic forum. However tracking who replies to your comment directly I don't think this site can do it...yet. It can track your own posts but not replies I believe.

Perhaps put it in as a suggestion to one of the moderators to see if its feasible. smile

Cheers,

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.