Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#116686 - 12/20/07 02:10 PM Re: Gear idolization...anyone else have this problem? [Re: jenkinma]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
I use my EDC stuff whenever I need to. That's why it's EVERYDAY stuff for me.
Most of the stuff I have for EDC and in my Get Home Bag are thoughtfull purchases. Like most here I am constantly re-evaluating/tinkering with the stuff that I need/want. Some things were expensive some were reasonalbe in price. Some of the stuff I use/carry was even free. All of my stuff has been used and in some cases abused by me. Many times I've had to "make do" with a less expensive item until I have enough put away to buy my "man I really want that" item.
It may not be pretty and shiny any more but it all serves a purpose.
If you are into being a collector then I can see worrying about scratching/dinging something up. You just need to make sure that you have covered your EDC with things that work for you.

#116687 - 12/20/07 02:11 PM Re: Gear idolization...anyone else have this problem? [Re: jenkinma]
adam Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island, NY
You should always test your gear before you are placed in a situation where you need to use it. That said my primary EDC folder does not see all that much action on a daily basis. I like to save that blade.

What sees a lot of use in my Vic super tinker. I'm not afraid of using, abusing or loosing that knife. I think most of us carry a couple knives for that purpose alone.

Adam

#116693 - 12/20/07 02:25 PM Re: Gear idolization. . . [Re: TheSock]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: TheSock
. . .If it is survival gear, do you really want to use it. You want it pristine for when you are in a survival situation.
The Sock

Two is one. When I find a piece of EDC gear I like I normally buy a second and sometimes a third (identical). I'll EDC one and the others are in kits -- knives, flashlights, lots of small gear falls into this protocol.

#116703 - 12/20/07 02:56 PM Re: Gear idolization. . . [Re: Russ]
justmeagain Offline
Journeyman

Just a few random thoughts from reading through the posts. You can buy decent, very serviceable EDC items without spending a lot of money. For example a SAK or a mora knife, very good quality for little money. A more expensive knife will not necessarily perform better in the field. Same thing with many lights, mag lights are relatively inexpensive given the quality. I've bought several princeton tec lights for under $20 on clearance and they work great. All that said, I do appreciate better made items, even if the quality difference is only in the finishing and appearance and not in actual field performance.

It's easy to convince yourself that the $200 knife is better than the $10 mora, and afterall your life may be on the line, but in a tight spot the $10 mora will be more than adequate for your needs.

Woolens - spot on regarding the quality of vintage Woolrich clothing. Older stuff is better than what they sell now. I'm a thrift store addict and recently found a vintage (1960's perhaps) Woolrich jacket that is a far cut above what Woolrich currently offers. To find similar clothing today you need to buy Filson or something on that line. I paid about $10 for the Woolrich jacket at the thrift store.

#116709 - 12/20/07 03:31 PM Re: Gear idolization. . . [Re: justmeagain]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: justmeagain
It's easy to convince yourself that the $200 knife is better than the $10 mora, and afterall your life may be on the line, but in a tight spot the $10 mora will be more than adequate for your needs.

My problem is different. Instead of buying expensive stuff and trying to keep it pristine, I just keep adding to the pile. I tell myself that is how to build up a good store.

A few $10 Mora or $50 (or less) KaBar knives are ideal. I'll have much less remorse or worry about damaging such a knife, if and when there comes a time to pound on the blade mercilessly while trying to use it to split a log for a fire or when I decide to use it as a shovel, hammer, chisel or whatever. When I use it more, I become more comfortable using that tool. When it a time comes to rely on it, I'll know what it can do and what I can do with it.

Edited by Dan_McI (12/20/07 03:32 PM)

#116712 - 12/20/07 03:41 PM Re: Gear idolization. . . [Re: Dan_McI]
Misanthrope Offline

Loc: Chicago burbs
All of my equipment was obtained in order to be abused and I don't feel right until it has acquired a few scratches and/or dings.

If you don't use it, how do you know that it will actually work? Use your stuff. If you wear it out, replace it, and use that...

+1

#116714 - 12/20/07 03:44 PM Re: Gear idolization...anyone else have this probl [Re: Steve]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I agree whole heartedly on the lowering of everyday quality. But the more I look though, the more I realize I can make a lot better stuff then I can afford to buy. I can put a handle on a $10 mora blade and boost the quality from a $10 knife to a $100 knife, mostly cosmetic but still a much nicer blade to carry. I also have a leather field bag which is roughly equivalent to a Filson field bag. I can't afford to carry a $200 dollar satchel, but I can spend a week making something as nice or nicer. If I have to buy something I try to buy something good I can afford, but if I can make something I'd much rather do that.

#116717 - 12/20/07 04:00 PM Re: Gear idolization...anyone else have this probl [Re: thechaplain]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I agree with the "use it and abuse it" camp. Get your stuff out and use when you don't need to. Test drive it like mad so wou will know if it will of use in a "must" situation.

On the watch front I ask this: Why would you have a watch that requires batteries? I have an automatic that is great. Just a hand motions keep it wound up. Also, look at the solar options by some of the manufacturers. I am not particularly concerned about timing, day/date or any of the other things. Actually, the time of day is almost irrelevant. When its dark I sleep; when its light I work.

Edited by MoBOB (12/20/07 04:00 PM)

#116721 - 12/20/07 04:07 PM Re: Gear idolization...anyone else have this probl [Re: AROTC]
cxrc Offline
Stranger

Loc: Southern California
Thanks for the responses guys, it's good to know I'm not the only one! I will have to force myself to use the stuff. That first nick and scratch REALLY hurts - but usually after this I'm cool with it.

Edited by cxrc (12/20/07 04:12 PM)

#116723 - 12/20/07 04:20 PM Re: Gear idolization...anyone else have this probl [Re: thechaplain]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

At work, my company encourages me to procure the best tools. I don't use $5 Chinese screwdrivers, I use $10 Kleins (and yes, there are better out there, but Klein makes the grade), because the metal, machining, and ergonomics are better, and I am less likely to break one or strip a screw at a crucial moment (thereby costing me more time and money in the long run). It is harder when it's your own cash, but the lesson is the same, don't use CHEAP gear, especially, when the "job", is keeping your butt alive in an emergency situation. Cheap is of course not always the least expensive, nor is the best or adequate the most expensive. If you are purchasing gear that you feel is too expensive to use or abuse training, it's probably not gear, it's art. Don't buy Lamborghini's when you want a Hummer. I too am in the "Use it, Use it, Use it" category. You want it to be dead simple and familiar to use in an emergency situation. If you have a trophy piece, that's fine, just realize that it is art, not gear, and purchase something functional , useable, and trainable for gear. A Mora that you've trained extensively with is infinitely more valuable in a survival situation than a Strider that you haven't.

my .02

C. Rowe

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.