Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#1163 - 08/03/01 03:26 AM Gerber Legend or Wave
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just got a Leatherman Wave and it's quite nice. I like how the separate tool adapter can be attached and adjusted to a 90 degree angle so you can get more leverage. Everything is nice and compact, though the adapter is a little bulky. I also like how the blades lock automatically when opened. However, I do wonder how long the saw will last if regularly used. Would the 25 year warranty cover normal wear and tear of the saw? How about the wire cutter area when that wears out?<br><br>After I bought the Wave, I saw that Gerber offers a multi-tool that has a replaceable jigsaw blade and replaceable wire cutter inserts, the Gerber Legend 800. It is a bit larger though which I don't like. Also, there's no can opener. And finally, the coupler for 1/4" bits (available separately) seems to be only available in one position, rather than 45 and 90 degree angles. My question is... should I have gotten the Gerber instead? If so, I can still return the wave.<br><br>

#1164 - 08/03/01 05:42 AM Re: Gerber Legend or Wave
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Keep the Wave. It's better to wear out a tool you like than make do with 2nd best.<br><br>

#1165 - 08/03/01 12:51 PM Re: Gerber Legend or Wave
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
>>>Also, there's no can opener. <br><br>I believe you can gt it with a can opener. Check out the Build Your Own site at http://byo.gerberblades.com<br><br><br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#1166 - 08/03/01 02:47 PM Re: Gerber Legend or Wave
Anonymous
Unregistered

I believe you can build your own Gerber 600 but not the newer Gerber Legend 800.<br><br>I've read through searching the usenet groups that one small retailer was replacing the bottle opener with a bottle opener/can opener combo for free when they first came out; but that wasn't in the U.S. Anyway, since the Gerber can be taken apart easily (as I understand, they incorporate torx fasteners), I would think a knife retailer could easily replace any of the blades as long as the parts could be ordered. However, this seems to be a lot of effort just to get it exactly how you want it.<br><br>

#1167 - 08/03/01 04:06 PM Re: Gerber Legend or Wave
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
>>I believe you can build your own Gerber 600 but not the newer Gerber Legend 800.<br><br>You're correct. My mistake.<br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#1168 - 08/03/01 04:40 PM Re: Gerber Legend or Wave
Anonymous
Unregistered

If your concern is really about the practical aspect of opening cans, which doesn't come up as often as it used to (lots of pop-tops and foil pouches these days, and aluminum yeilds to anything sharp a lot easier than steel), you might want to consider carrying a military P38 can opener. They're tiny, weigh a small fraction of an ounce (less than another blade on a knife or multitool), can be carried on a key chain or in a wallet, and they work well. I don't think the military has used them since they abandoned C-rations, but I still see them selling cheaply on eBay- I think I bought a lot of 10 for $5. The ones stamped "US Speaker" seem to be a little better than some others- I have one of those that's probably 30 years old now, the finish is completely worn off, and it still works fine. Saved me grief more than once.<br><br>I'm carrying a single-blade folder and a Leatherman Micra these days, which complement each other nicely, but one of the few things the combination lacks is a can opener. Stick one of these in your wallet and you can forget about the problem.<br><br>

#1169 - 08/04/01 03:04 AM Re: Gerber Legend or Wave
lostinthewoods Offline
newbie member

Loc: U.S.A. A.Z. prescott valley
Got a gerber don't like the steel. Got a wave LOVE it.<br><br>GOD bless the U.S.

#1170 - 08/04/01 01:30 PM Re: Gerber Legend or Wave
Anonymous
Unregistered

Interesting ... I didn't realize that the steel on the Gerber Legend 800 was inferior to the Wave. Do you have any other problems with it?<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 416 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.